• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Time for their yearly health check

This all seems quite positive for Sophie :) You're lucky that both of them like the Fibafirst. I've always managed to get rabbits to eat them, but none of them have been that keen to start with and have needed encouragement. A benefit for Casper too in that he receives more grooms from her.

This all seems quite positive for Sophie :) You're lucky that both of them like the Fibafirst. I've always managed to get rabbits to eat them, but none of them have been that keen to start with and have needed encouragement. A benefit for Casper too in that he receives more grooms from her.
Aw, thank you, Omi. Casper and Sophie do like their pellets better than the Fibafirst, but they do like it. When I give a piece to Casper, he runs away with it and hides so no one can take it back. :lol: And, yeah, he's getting more grooms!

Sadly, Sophie is having a really bad morning with her overgrooming. She just can't seem to stop. :( I've given her some food to distract her, but before she's even finished chewing she's already back to licking herself. I took a video, but because it's longer than 30 seconds I have to share it with Google instead of Imgur, so I hope this works: https://photos.app.goo.gl/egKyswnYGvxGG53R8

It's just breaking my heart, because that's not a happy bunny. :(

Sadly, Sophie is having a really bad morning with her overgrooming. She just can't seem to stop. :( I've given her some food to distract her, but before she's even finished chewing she's already back to licking herself. I took a video, but because it's longer than 30 seconds I have to share it with Google instead of Imgur, so I hope this works: https://photos.app.goo.gl/egKyswnYGvxGG53R8

It's just breaking my heart, because that's not a happy bunny. :(

:( It must be so frustrating not knowing whats causing it & seeing her distressed with it. I've only had one bunny who did anything similar (Rudey - before I got him he plucked the hair from his chest :( Later on when I had him he started chewing his nails. With Rudey I guess it was because he was a very poorly bunny . I never got to explore the behaviours with my vet (lockdown here was an awful experience as the rabbit vets from my practice were furloughed & there was no decent help available for him at the end)

Obviously Sophie is different because her diagnostics havent shown anything . I wonder if it would be useful to start a thread to see if anyone else has experienced similar & how it was resolved.

Lots of vibes for beautiful Sophie

:( It must be so frustrating not knowing whats causing it & seeing her distressed with it. I've only had one bunny who did anything similar (Rudey - before I got him he plucked the hair from his chest :( Later on when I had him he started chewing his nails. With Rudey I guess it was because he was a very poorly bunny . I never got to explore the behaviours with my vet (lockdown here was an awful experience as the rabbit vets from my practice were furloughed & there was no decent help available for him at the end)

Obviously Sophie is different because her diagnostics havent shown anything . I wonder if it would be useful to start a thread to see if anyone else has experienced similar & how it was resolved.

Lots of vibes for beautiful Sophie
It is, it's very discouraging and frustrating seeing her like this and not knowing how to help her. :( Poor Rudey, dealing with similar things. :( I'm so sorry there was no decent help available at for him at the end. That must've felt terrible for you, not being able to get him proper help. :(

With Sophie we've never found anything that could explain it, you're right, though we're looking into arthritis now, of course. Still, since her x-rays last year were fine, that can't have been the cause all along when she's been doing this for years... I've started a thread about it before, but I think I'll make another one, just in case someone knows anything.

Thank you for the vibes for her, too, j&b.

It is, it's very discouraging and frustrating seeing her like this and not knowing how to help her. :( Poor Rudey, dealing with similar things. :( I'm so sorry there was no decent help available at for him at the end. That must've felt terrible for you, not being able to get him proper help. :(

With Sophie we've never found anything that could explain it, you're right, though we're looking into arthritis now, of course. Still, since her x-rays last year were fine, that can't have been the cause all along when she's been doing this for years... I've started a thread about it before, but I think I'll make another one, just in case someone knows anything.

Thank you for the vibes for her, too, j&b.

Poor Sophie and also poor you, as I can imagine that it's distressing for you to observe. I think you should start another thread, detailing exactly what diagnostics she's had with their results. I've never experienced anything like this, so can't offer any advice I'm afraid. Remind me, was a cause established for the tenderness in her kidney area that your vet felt? It would be tempting to say that as she has been doing it for a long time, then it's unlikely to be anything serious, but a cause would be so reassuring.

Poor Sophie and also poor you, as I can imagine that it's distressing for you to observe. I think you should start another thread, detailing exactly what diagnostics she's had with their results. I've never experienced anything like this, so can't offer any advice I'm afraid. Remind me, was a cause established for the tenderness in her kidney area that your vet felt? It would be tempting to say that as she has been doing it for a long time, then it's unlikely to be anything serious, but a cause would be so reassuring.
Thank you, Omi. I've started another thread, but forgot about the tenderness in her kidney area and diagnostics and stuff. I'll add that... We still haven't found out why her kidney area is so sensitive, no. We did blood tests and an ultrasound and there was nothing unusual. I do hope the cause is nothing serious, but it would be good to know, yes, since then we could hopefully do something about it. I just want to help her. :(

Back