• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Time for their yearly health check

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
And vaccinations, of course.

I guess I'll start with the bad news (well, there isn't really any good news, exactly)? Casper's molars already have sharp edges on them, even though he had his last dental only five weeks ago. :( The vet said they're not really spurs yet, but they will be, so he'll be having regular check-ups. As long as he's not showing any signs that it's bothering him we're just going to keep an eye on it, because a dental every five weeks would be too risky at his age, she said. I'm not sure what I can do about it... I've been trying to reduce their non-hay food like the vet said last time, so he'll eat more hay, so they're getting a smaller salad now, and less dried forage, but when I tried to decrease the amount of pellets they both had trouble staying at a healthy weight, so they're back to sharing 50g of Science Selective every day (for 3.6kg of bunny in total). I know grass is good for teeth, so I'll try to grow some grass for him. If anyone has any other advice I'd love to hear it. The vet did say, though, that he's likely chewing in a way that doesn't move his molars together right, so if that's the case, I'm not sure if eating more hay would even help?

Then Sophie... She's still very sensitive in her kidney area. It clearly bothered her when the vet touched her there. Since her blood tests and ultrasound didn't show anything abnormal, though, we're not sure why. I also brought up that she's having some trouble keeping herself clean underneath. She's not dirty, but it's not as spotless white as it used to be. So, the vet thinks she might have some arthritis in her spine, and said that might even explain why she's sensitive near her kidneys since the kidneys are attached to the spine? She's also really compulsively washing that spot under her chin again, so we talked about whether it might be a sign of her being in pain, and, well, it could be that she's having arthritis pain, or her kidney area that's hurting her, or dental pain (because Sophie has some sharp edges on her molars as well, though not as bad as Casper, and since they don't seem to bother her right now, she'll just have regular check-ups as well) that's causing her to overgroom, so we're going to put her on pain meds for a couple of days and see if that helps with her keeping herself clean and/or the overgrooming, and if it does turn out she's in pain because the pain meds help her, we'll do an x-ray of her spine to check for arthritis, and if that's not present, we'll do a dental since that would be the next likely thing to be hurting her that we can do something about, since we can't do anything about her kidney area because we don't know what's causing it.

So, their health check could've gone better, but it also could've been worse given their age, and at least we have plans in place for both of them, so we'll just see what happens.

It was a tiring outing for all three of us, and Sophie's mostly been resting

vQR9z9Oh.jpg

while Casper has been very good and tried out his new hay rack while eating hay.

BeqNwSEh.jpg

Oh bless them both, not sure how old your bunnies are ? They both look like young buns to me. Look at Casper nibbling his hay, good boy. Hope they both go on ok x

I'm sorry things didn't go perfectly. Poor little Casper getting spurs so soon :( For their age I still think they are doing well though. You plan for him & Sophie sounds sensible & I hope the meds help with her pain if she has any. Arthritis is so common in older bunnies. Do Casper lick Sophie more on the area the vet found to be sensitive?

By the way she looks very pretty on her hemp mat. Casper & his hay rack too :love:

I'm sorry that the vet found issues with both Sophie and Casper. She does sound a very good vet though and I think her plans for them both seem very sensible. I agree with you that maybe Casper's teeth would not improve with a change in his diet. I hope that the pain relief will help Sophie and stop her overgrooming herself.

Lovely pics as always :love:

Aww Sophie, it's all been a bit much hasn't it!! But good boy Casper, you keep munching that hay.
As for ideas, what about switching to the fibafirst sticks instead of pellets, so they get the nutrients they clearly need to hold weight but get the teeth wearing the pellets don't provide too? Other than that, I think growing grass would be an excellent way forward, both of mine have gained so much in the past couple of weeks since they've spent more time grazing as the grass has come through. Look at different grass too - you could grow fresh oat grass, barley grass, things like that as well as grassy grass, to help with energy intake? I got some lovely seeds from Galen's for growing grasses.

Sounds like a good plan although I'm sorry they both have some problems! They are lucky you are taking such great care of them:love:

As Dollyanna said, fibafirst sticks might help. Also, can you get Readigrass or similar? They might like that. You are doing everything you can for them. Lovely photos as always :love:

With regards to the Dental attrition, eating more hay would help as the jaw action required to chew hay is rotational where-as chewing hard feed involves a more up and down jaw action. It would be good if you could get Casper to increase his hay intake and grass would be great too. The silica content being very beneficial to dental health. I hope that Casper can manage to go a bit longer before needed another GA.

Poor Sophie, lets hope the Metacam will help her x

I'm sorry things didn't go perfectly. Poor little Casper getting spurs so soon :( For their age I still think they are doing well though. You plan for him & Sophie sounds sensible & I hope the meds help with her pain if she has any. Arthritis is so common in older bunnies. Do Casper lick Sophie more on the area the vet found to be sensitive?

By the way she looks very pretty on her hemp mat. Casper & his hay rack too :love:
Thank you, j&b. :) Casper doesn't groom her there. It's a spot on the underside of her belly, so he can't reach there. I'm glad you think that they're still doing well for their age.

No advice but just wanted to say you do take the most beautiful photos of your bunnies.
Aww, thank you. I'm glad you like their photos. :love:

I'm sorry that the vet found issues with both Sophie and Casper. She does sound a very good vet though and I think her plans for them both seem very sensible. I agree with you that maybe Casper's teeth would not improve with a change in his diet. I hope that the pain relief will help Sophie and stop her overgrooming herself.

Lovely pics as always :love:
Thank you, Omi. :) She is a very good vet, yes. There are several vets at my practice, and thankfully they're all good with bunnies.

Aww Sophie, it's all been a bit much hasn't it!! But good boy Casper, you keep munching that hay.
As for ideas, what about switching to the fibafirst sticks instead of pellets, so they get the nutrients they clearly need to hold weight but get the teeth wearing the pellets don't provide too? Other than that, I think growing grass would be an excellent way forward, both of mine have gained so much in the past couple of weeks since they've spent more time grazing as the grass has come through. Look at different grass too - you could grow fresh oat grass, barley grass, things like that as well as grassy grass, to help with energy intake? I got some lovely seeds from Galen's for growing grasses.
She was quite tired!

Thank you for your ideas, dollyanna. I really appreciate them. Switching to Fibafirst sticks sounds like a good idea. They actually used to get those, but I can't remember why I stopped giving them... I think because they liked the Science Selective pellets more. I'll see what they think of them now. I'm glad you think growing grass could be helpful, too. I'll try different grasses, too, yes, for some variety. If I can replace some pellets/Fibafirst sticks with grass, if they'd keep their weight on like that, that would be good.

Sounds like a good plan although I'm sorry they both have some problems! They are lucky you are taking such great care of them:love:
Aw, that's so kind of you to say, Walli. :love:

As Dollyanna said, fibafirst sticks might help. Also, can you get Readigrass or similar? They might like that. You are doing everything you can for them. Lovely photos as always :love:
Ooh, I can get something similar to Readigrass, yes. I used to give them that as well, but, again, I can't remember why I stopped... I think they maybe didn't actually like it? I'll just get a bag and see if they want it. And thank you. :love:

With regards to the Dental attrition, eating more hay would help as the jaw action required to chew hay is rotational where-as chewing hard feed involves a more up and down jaw action. It would be good if you could get Casper to increase his hay intake and grass would be great too. The silica content being very beneficial to dental health. I hope that Casper can manage to go a bit longer before needed another GA.

Poor Sophie, lets hope the Metacam will help her x
Thank you, IM. Grass does sound like a good idea, then. I think the vet was thinking that it's more the way Casper is eating that could be the problem rather than his diet. Like maybe he's only chewing with one side of his mouth, because he only gets spurs on his molars on the right side. But trying to increase his hay and getting him some grass is still worth trying, yes, so hopefully that'll help him.

It looks like the metacam is helping Sophie? It's still early, of course, but I haven't seen her overgroom that spot beneath her chin even once today, which is a big change from how she's been lately. She also seems more... flexible? while grooming herself in a regular way? She's washing spots I haven't seen her reach in quite a while. So, it seems like the medication is making her feel better, which is really wonderful and I'm so glad we've found some way to help her. On the other hand, I feel terrible, because she's been overgrooming off and on for years and we never figured out why, and all this time it was because she's been in pain. :( We should've tried metacam years ago... Poor Sophie. :( It can't have been arthritis all this time, though, because the vet checked an x-ray Sophie had in June last year and there wasn't any arthritis to see there, so I'm not sure what exactly could have been hurting her off and on for years.

Oh thats interesting you are seeing improvements so soon. I know from your other posts you & your vet have tried to explore the cause of her over grooming previously so I don't think its fair to beat yourself up. With her general cleaning being more flexible maybe the anti inflammatory effects are helping just as much if not more than pain relieving aspect . it must feel nice suddenly being more supple.

My vets diagnosed arthritis by physical exam but i think thats partly because they are v keen to avoid putting Mouse under GA, esp for any diagnostics .

Oh thats interesting you are seeing improvements so soon. I know from your other posts you & your vet have tried to explore the cause of her over grooming previously so I don't think its fair to beat yourself up. With her general cleaning being more flexible maybe the anti inflammatory effects are helping just as much if not more than pain relieving aspect . it must feel nice suddenly being more supple.

My vets diagnosed arthritis by physical exam but i think thats partly because they are v keen to avoid putting Mouse under GA, esp for any diagnostics .
I hadn't expected to see any improvement so soon, either, to be honest. I thought it would take a few days. I appreciate your thinking I don't have to beat myself up. I feel like I failed her, though. I think it must feel pretty nice for her as well, yeah, to suddenly feel more supple. I had forgotten that the anti-inflammatory effects of metacam help with arthritis as well. It sounds like we'll keep her on metacam now, then, seeing how it's clearly helping her, though I'm supposed to stop on Friday and see if I notice any difference when I stop giving it, but that seems cruel when it's so obviously making her feel better, so I think I'll just keep giving it and explain when I contact the vet on Monday.

Ah, that makes sense that your vets want to avoid putting Mousey under GA. I discussed Sophie's issues with the vet yesterday after she had examined her and she was back in her carrier, so the vet didn't do any exams to check for arthritis. I know Sophie (or maybe Casper) has had conscious x-rays before, though, so maybe that will be possible again. I'd rather avoid putting her under GA needlessly, too.

I've ordered some timothy grass seeds, and also some grass seeds that are either oat grass or barley grass. It says it's barley grass, but it had the latin name for oat grass, so it'll be a surprise.

I'm glad Sophie is seeming better!

If you can get it im finding rye grass incredibly easy to grow and it seems to like cold.

My guys are getting a handful a day but I hope yo be able to give more to help Rodney increase the gaps with his dentals.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I'm glad Sophie is seeming better!

If you can get it im finding rye grass incredibly easy to grow and it seems to like cold.

My guys are getting a handful a day but I hope yo be able to give more to help Rodney increase the gaps with his dentals.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
Thank you!

I will order some rye grass seeds as well, then. Thanks for mentioning it. I don't have much space to grow stuff, so it might be only a handful a day here, too, but hopefully I can grow more than that.

Thought I'd do a little update. I've seen Sophie overgrooming a few times since starting the Metacam, so she hasn't completely stopped, but compared to the dozens of times a day she was doing it lately it's still a huge difference, so I'm still thinking she did it because of pain and now doesn't need to much anymore. The few times I've seen her do it this week was when she was just sitting around, not while she was eating or running around and had to pause her activities just to lick and pull on the fur beneath her chin, so I think those times might've been more out of habit than because of the compulsive need she seemed to have before. She still seems to move more easily during her normal grooming, and she's actually grooming Casper a lot more than usual, too? (Where "usual" is almost never :lol:) She seems more relaxed and comfortable, and has been a bit more active as well.

Like I said the other day, I was supposed to only give her the Metacam until today and then speak to the vet on Monday, but since it's clearly helping her I contacted the vets today and asked if I can keep giving it this weekend, and they said that was fine.

I also ordered Fibafirst sticks and they arrived yesterday, so they both got a little piece this morning and liked it, so I should be able to replace some/all of their pellets with the Fibafirst sticks, and hopefully that'll help a little with Casper's teeth. Every bit helps.

Back