• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What happened and what do I do now :(

Bigbunnybella

Young Bun
Quick background. I had a rescue rabbit Jonny, he came as a companion to another rescue we had. Sadly she died and due to lockdown I was unable to go to rescue centres to find him a new friend. I bought a young female, Bella.
They got on amazingly which was a huge relief and shared the food bowl, slept in a big box snuggled up together. All was good.
Today I found Jonny dead in his bed :(
There’s no marks on him, or any signs of fighting. They had been together about 2 months (at a guess)
OH says if she’d attacked him it would be obvious? Is that right?
So I’m left with a young doe alone. She’s not yet neutered as my vet said too young and not essential.
It’s planned ASAP.
I’m scared to get another just incase.
Please advise

Thats so sad - I'm really sorry for your loss. I don't know for definite but I'd be suprised if Jonny was attacked by your other bunny with no evidence . Most likely I think something else happened. Were they both vaccinated? I ask not to be insensitive but because RHVD2 can take a rabbit with few / no clinical signs & if that were a possibility I'd get to your girl to the vets for her jab asap

I echo what J&B said. It would probably be very obvious if there had been an attack - bits of loose fur, some blood, etc. It sounds like he went peacefully in his sleep with his wifebun next to him.

As Jonny was a rescue, could he have been older than you thought? Unless you got him as a baby, it's quite likely that his age was estimated at best. 7-8 years with no obvious health issues is still a decent age for many rabbits to achieve. I've only had one get to 9 years.

I would make sure your girl has up to date vaccinations ASAP, just in case, though.

RIP Jonny.

I am sorry for your loss.
Rabbits are prey animals so they hide their illness. So it is possible your bunny was ill and you did not notice, or he had an acute illness.
Years ago I lost a bunny minutes after he was happily hopping , so I know it can be a shock.
Your vet may offer you some possible reasons.
You may want to have your doe spayed.

Thank you, both are vaccinated.
There was nothing anywhere. No blood, fur anything. He looked perfect. I checked for injury and there was nothing.
Yes, he may have been older. He was from the Blue Cross and was one they couldn’t rehome as he was so nervous. That didn’t bother me I let him live without the need to be cuddled. He was handled to put them out in the run or clip nails etc but I never forced him to be loved. He was full grown and I’ve had him about 5 years.
Bella is going to be spayed. It was always the plan but my vets were only doing essential stuff and wanted her to be a bit older anyway.
I’m just so worried she might have attacked him and may kill another one.

I am sorry to read of the passing of your bunny, Jonny. Whatever the circumstances are, we all feel the loss of a much loved pet, but it is also harder when this happens for no apparent reason. I also agree with J&B. You have done due dilligence by checking for any obvious injuries so it is unlikely that this was the result of any contact between your rabbits. I don't get the impresion from your post that there were any concerns with the bond so I would be comfortable suggesting that Bella would tollerate another companion when you feel the time is right. You are also grieving, as will Bella and you both perhaps need a little time to come to terms and accept the loss. When you are both ready, then it would benefit Bella to have another companion. Supoprting the Blue Cross is a very positive way to rescue rabbits - I myself have had 2 from them.
Binkey free Jonny. xx

its hard not knowing but I honestly don't think she will have attacked him. A frightened or badly injured rabbit often screams (a horrific loud & piercing sound apparently). I'm sure you'd see or hear something to support your theory. The reality is probably that your girl was a huge comfort to him for those 3 months - it sounds like they shared a wonderful bond. Lots of loves for your girl, I hope she doesn't grieve too hard :( Based on what you said I wouldn't hesitate to find her a friend when you feel the time is right for all of you.

Many years ago I lost a rescue bun overnight, no warning, she was guessed to be about 7 years. I assume rabbits can suffer conditions that take them quickly just as humans do. He was well loved, had a great life and owner who respected all his needs. Sudden losses are so difficult for us but quick must be a nicer way to go for our bunnies. Lots of hugs

I would take heart that the bunnies had a good bond and were of comfort to each other in the few months they had together. It's always very obvious when there is a problem with the bond, and this really doesn't appear to be the case. I know it was a shock to you when you found him, but Jonny was a decent age with no lingering illness, so there's really nothing you could have done differently. I'm sure your girl would benefit from another partner when she's neutered and you are both ready.

I'm so sorry you lost Jonny 😔 I agree with the others that it sounds extremely unlikely that Bella attacked him as the evidence of that would have been really obvious. I think it's much more likely that he passed away from an age related illness.

I know it was an awful shock for you but I hope in time you will get some comfort from knowing that he passed peacefully at home with his best friend at his side.

So sorry for your tragic loss. A PM would be the only way to establish what may have happened. That said, even a PM can be inconclusive.

RIP Jonny :cry:

I’m so sorry :cry: Rabbits are fragile and can hide illnesses so well :cry: binky free Jonny xx

So very sorry that you lost your little one so suddenly, it's a terrible shock when this happens :cry:

Sleep tightly Jonny xx

Awww so sorry you have lost your boy. I've had a bun go suddenly and the not knowing is just as worse as the loss sometimes. You did an amazing thing rescuing him and giving him a lovely home. Healing vibes sent. X

Thank you all. It’s put my mind at ease a little. I was sure if they had fought I’d be able to tell.
I’m also happier about the fact he was in his box where he always slept.

Back