• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chewing ears

Reva

New Kit
Hi all, not sure if this is a health or behaviour topic. My Netherland dwarf has had treatment for mites in his ears. However, his girlfriend has started licking/chewing his ears and the skin is now exposed. I separate them at night, they live in a large shed, but I can't watch them all the time when they are together. I am worried he may get an infection if she doesn't stop this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to split them up completely as they are totally bonded and in love.

thanks

Hi all, not sure if this is a health or behaviour topic. My Netherland dwarf has had treatment for mites in his ears. However, his girlfriend has started licking/chewing his ears and the skin is now exposed. I separate them at night, they live in a large shed, but I can't watch them all the time when they are together. I am worried he may get an infection if she doesn't stop this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to split them up completely as they are totally bonded and in love.

thanks

Has the Vet checked that the ear mites have resolved and that there is no secondary infection ? What treatment was given ? The girlfriend may be over grooming the ears if she is picking up on something being wrong.

If your Nethie had ear drops this could cause the girlfriend to over-groom his ears.

Has separating them at night helped at all in breaking the cycle of over grooming ?

Thanks for your reply. He was given a lotion to put on the back of his neck.
Got another treatment next week, so I guess I will have to take him back to the vet.

She still chews his ears when they are in the garden, he doesn't walk away from her. Not sure why he lets her do this. I may have to separate them until his treatment has finished

Thanks again

My male bun overgrooms my female bun. She seems to enjoy it too unfortunately. We’ve never separated them, but we have tried positive reinforcement and lots of different hays amongst other things.

However if continues. So you have my sympathy!

Hi Zigzag, thanks for your reply. My concern is that she is completely down to the skin, there is no fur left and i am worried it may lead to an infection. I have thought maybe she has mites as well, although no symptoms, so should I have her treated?

Completely in the dark here, the female is quite new, we have had the male since 4 months old, he is now 7 and has had 2 other girlfriends who never did this.

thanks again,

Personally I would get the Vet to take a look at both Rabbits, your Doe will need mite treatment .Unfortunately you may need to separate them to allow fur regrowth on your ND’s ears and to hopefully break the over grooming habit. Then you can start to rebond them again. They hopefully wont have to remain apart for too long.

Thanks, that may be the best idea. Hopefully she will stop when the treatment has finished,

best regards

Back