• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do your buns normally have pain relief post-dental?

Beapig

Mama Doe
Just wondering what the norm is, because Plumpkin used to have regular dentals, and I'm pretty sure we always had to give her metacam a few days afterwards. I was told yesterday that Maple didn't need any post-op medication, but she still doesn't have a huge appetite and I'm worried that her jaw could be aching?

I might be worrying for nothing.

Yes, mine have. Frosty also had to have gut meds and antibiotics too, but that was because he had ulcers.

Yes, all my bunnies who have had dentals at my current vets have had pain relief after. If you can, it sounds like a good idea to ask the vets for some pain meds today for Maple? Because it does sound like she's still sore from the procedure, since she still isn't eating as much as usual.

Depends on the individual case. If the dental just involved burring down a couple of spurs and there was no soft tissue damage then post operative analgesia may not be needed. If the Rabbit had severe Dental disease, as did Plumpkin, then post Dental analgesia would be needed. There would be more likelihood of soft tissue damage, tooth root elongation etc.

Once we didn't as it was a minor spur and she bounced back so quickly.

But normally Primrose and Rodney would both have metacam twice a day for 3 days and emeprid usually as well to help counter any gut slowdown.

Once that wasn't enough and we had a full week but the vet had said that time that the tongue although not ulcered was incredibly close so took longer to heal.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Depends. Sherlock had 2 dentals (mild spurs), no soft tissue damage. no pain meds and he was happy and fine. But Brko had some sorenes (cuts in the cheeck) already so he was on pain meds.

Not when its been straightforward, no & its not been a problem for Boo .Theres nothing wrong with going back to your vet if you think she needs some pain relief though .

Mine usually have it offered ,if needed. Even if no soft tissue injury, mine sometimes need pain meds for few days.
sending noming vibes.

Thank you so much everyone for the kind words. I'm pleased to report that Maple is back to normal now, and eating stalky hay for the first time in weeks, so that is a good sign that the dental has done the job :)

Thank you so much everyone for the kind words. I'm pleased to report that Maple is back to normal now, and eating stalky hay for the first time in weeks, so that is a good sign that the dental has done the job :)

Excellent update :love:

It must be such a relief to know dental solved her issue. :D

Back