• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free Roaming Advice ?

Km1296

Young Bun
So I've started to free roam my bunnies permanently. They normally roam around the house all day and sleep in their cage at night but i found this to be cruel and they were obviously annoyed due to the constant thumping and cage rattling.

So I've decided to go completely free roam where i keep them in the livingroom with their litter boxes etc so they can still be active at night and have removed the cages from the room.

Ive made sure to bunny proof the area as much as a can hpwever I'm really anxious with it obviously beibg the first night of them being free roamers.

Is there any advice yous could give me if yous free roam your rabbits at all ?

Rabbit proofing anything like cables that would be dangerous if they were to chew them is the biggest thing, protecting anything they might chew that you wouldn’t want them to destroy beyond that, and making sure they are litter trained as much as possible. If you always feed their hay in or at their litter trays this will encourage them to use them. Sweeping up poops and mopping up any puddles of wee and neutralising the wee spots with white Vinegar/water mixed 50/50 is a good idea. I’m sure they will be very happy :love:

The cables in my lounge are in an old hose pipe as my two are cable chompers. I have found that hey go to bed at night, once the lights go off they move back into their loft and get up in a morning.
Zoobec thank you for that with the vinegar and water as my rug does suffer the occasional puddle.

Hey guys ! Lil update !

I got really nervous last night and just put some c&c grids around them. However i found out this morning that they managed to break out but thankfully (not that ive noticed yet) nothings been damaged. Lots of poops everywhere lol but that's about it really.

I made sure everything was bunny proofed like cables having tubing around them and hidden. I also put parcel tape on the legs of the tables which apparently averts them from chewing. So i think them breaking out sort of had to happen to calm my nerves lol

The first night is always a worry :lol: my buns are fully lifted trained but if I have any of the other buns out in their area they always have a poo party when they come down stairs and smell the other rabbits have been there.
This happens every time and I think it's just their way of putting their scent around quickly. Hopefully your buns poo party will sort it's self quickly while it's just them. :lol:

The first night is always a worry :lol: my buns are fully lifted trained but if I have any of the other buns out in their area they always have a poo party when they come down stairs and smell the other rabbits have been there.
This happens every time and I think it's just their way of putting their scent around quickly. Hopefully your buns poo party will sort it's self quickly while it's just them. :lol:

It's been a week now where they've been free roaming and ive had no issues at all ! I bought a camera aswell to check on them when im away to bed or out of the house. They've been so well behaved ! The peeing out of the litterbox has stopped but still poops in some places but that shuld calm soon hopefully !! They seem so much happier and a lot more chill which I'm so happy about !

It's been a week now where they've been free roaming and ive had no issues at all ! I bought a camera aswell to check on them when im away to bed or out of the house. They've been so well behaved ! The peeing out of the litterbox has stopped but still poops in some places but that shuld calm soon hopefully !! They seem so much happier and a lot more chill which I'm so happy about !
That's really good! :D

Back