• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dizzy after Dental?

Beapig

Mama Doe
Maple went in for her dental this morning and I know that it was definitely finished by 1.30pm when I spoke to the vet on the phone. It is 4.30 now, we have just got home and she is really unsteady on her feet and spaced out. I've put her on a nice soft pile of hay but she isn't with it at all and has interest in food water.

Is there anything I can do to help or is it just a waiting game? My other bunnies have never been like this after a dental so I'm a tad concerned.

P.s. apparently she had a few sharp bits which were filed down, so hopefully she will be back to eating lots of hay soon.

Make sure she is warm. Rabbits cannot regulate their body temperature after a GA. Dont attempt syringe feeding whilst she is very wobbly. Just let her rest for a couple of hours.

Thank you Jane, that is extremely helpful :)

She probably feels drunk. Dont panic if she staggers when she tries to move. The sedation should gradually wear off over the next few hours. Making sure she is warm enough during that time is the main thing :)

My bridge bunny Treacle used to be like this after her dentals. She would stagger out of the carrier and almost crawl into her little hidey house. I just used to leave her all cosy, she would nibble some fresh herbs in the evening and that would be it till morning. Hopefully Maple will be fine in a few hours.

Thank you for the reassurance guys. I've brought her in because she's still woozy and I want to keep a close eye on her. She still hasn't eaten yet. Her dental was over five and a half hours ago so guess this is still normal. Plumpkin used to have dentals once a month and was never like this though, so it has taken me by surprise.

Boobly reacted like this once (normally you couldn't tell she'd had a GA at all). Noodley had a GA at local vet rather than FHB & was shocking afterwards. Its quite upsetting to see. Both buns were fine the next day. I hope she's feeling more herself very soon

Primrose was often woosy when she got home. We used to let her rest for a few hours and make sure she had everything nearby.

She'd often eat something xtra tasty by 8pm but sometimes not, so she'd have her syringe then if she refused it by bowl/spoon.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I was always told to keep them indoors overnight so they were warm and had chance to recover.

Raven often needs syringe feeds after his dentals if he does not eat before bedtime. Some of mine are very sensitive to ga and will be sleepy afterwards.

Sending positive vibes she will soon feel better.

Last edited:
Raven often needs syringe feeds after his dentals if he does not eat before bedtime. Some of mine are very sensitive to ga and will be sleepy afterwards.

Sending positive vibes she will soon feel better.

I as wondering about this - how long should I leave her before syringe feeding? She seems a little more alert now, but has not eaten anything since before her dental at around 8.00am this morning. I'm worried about her getting stasis, should I syringe feed her soon? I have critical care in stock.

EDIT: She just had a pick at some dried herbs, so I'm going to leave her a little longer and see if she continues to eat. If not then I will give her critical care.

Last edited:
Sending lots of vibes for your brave girlie. I would hold off on the syringe feeding if she's starting to nibble things herself.

I hope she nibbles some more. Dandelions might be palatable with added benefit of being a diuretic - help flush her out. Mine are going crazy for dock atm too

Thanks for the advice Omi, Joey&Boo <3 We syringe fed her a small amount of critical care half an hour ago, as she has still hardly eaten. She took it well and is lying on the snugglesafe now. I'm trying not to worry too much, as she seems relaxed and not like she is in loads of pain or anything. They didn't give me any post-op painkillers though, which I thought was a bit strange because Plumpkin always used to have Metacam after her dentals.

It makes me realise just how strong Plumpkin was - she had a dental at least once a month for the year that she was with us, and she always managed to eat when she came home and get back to 'normal life' very quickly. She was such an amazing lady :love: Still miss her so much.

Back