• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit scrabbling at water bottle

Melon_Pip

Young Bun
My rabbit has recently been scrabbling at the wire around her water bottle. As if she thinks she has to sort of dig at it (or knead like a cat) to get the water out.
She also seems to be drinking more than usual.

For context, her husbun died 3 months ago. (I'm having trouble finding an older rescue to bond her with as rescues around here are super busy and not replying to messages etc. But I am at home most of the time so she has human company at least). Not sure if this is relevant!

I'm worried about her hurting her paws/nails as she scrabbles, so thinking I might give her a water bowl instead/as well as a bottle.

But why is she doing it? She's 6 and never done it before.

Advice welcome x

I'd definitely try that bowl asap, most bunnies will drink more happily from a bowl & drink more. It could be a really super easy fix - I hope so.

If you remain worried she is drinking too much it would be worth discussion with your vet

I would offer her a water bowl as well as the bottle. Check the nozzle on the bottle is working OK too

As you say she is drinking more than usual a Vet check would be a good idea. Increased drinking can be indicative of kidney problems, especially in older Rabbits.

She is probably scrabbling as she feels very thirsty and the water bottle is not dispensing water fast enough for her.

I would wonder if the bottle has become faulty, but also as Jane says, if she is unwell and more thirsty then a bottle won't give her enough. Switch to a bowl, but consider measuring what you put in the bowl and then what is left each time you change it (ie put 300ml in each time, and record what is left) so you have an accurate picture of what she is drinking to see if it is more than average.

I had a bunny chew holes in the bottle, and I came home to a bunny with an empty bottle and a soggy floor. I recommend getting a different hanger for the bottle, some do not have wire, or mounting bottle outside of pen. Also add a bowl.

Back