• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you spend your hard earned cash on FRESH bunny forage?

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Just doing a bit of market research to see if theres a gap in the market for the job of my dreams:lol:

Now I know for sure people who forage themselves it'd be a no, but what about those who don't forage but buy dried stuff for their bunnies?

Is fresh an appealing idea.? What would put you off? What kind of quantity would you be likely to order ? What assurances would you need? Would you prefer a seasonal varied mix or to specify half a dozen specific plants? If you got "too much" would you dry it yourself for feeding later?

Please answer whatevers relevant & add any additional thoughts

Thanks

OK, not for me obviously, but I've got some thoughts :)

I've no idea how long fresh would remain fresh. I'm thinking it would need 1st class post? Some plants would last better than others I guess.

Assurances would I think just be that the plants are what you say they are and are bunny safe, plus of course freshness.

I think from your point of view, specifying 6 specific plants might be too problematic for you. I would try to keep it simple for yourself and offer a seasonal mix.

The proposal could be appealing to people who hadn't a clue about which plants were OK and also people who just cba or don't have time/access to forage areas.

OK, not for me obviously, but I've got some thoughts :)

I've no idea how long fresh would remain fresh. I'm thinking it would need 1st class post? Some plants would last better than others I guess.

Assurances would I think just be that the plants are what you say they are and are bunny safe, plus of course freshness.

I think from your point of view, specifying 6 specific plants might be too problematic for you. I would try to keep it simple for yourself and offer a seasonal mix.

The proposal could be appealing to people who hadn't a clue about which plants were OK and also people who just cba or don't have time/access to forage areas.

thanks for your thoughts Omi. Yes arriving fresh would be key so it'd have to be 1st class RM or DPD24 . Do you know I don't know how long fresh lasts either...not long enough :lol: My hauls have never got past day 3 (obv the massive hauls go to drying as well as feeding), I'll have to experiment

The 6 plants was cos I can imagine some people not wanting certain plants - I wouldn't forage CP anyway for others but that'd be a good example. I think Raspberry is bad for pregnant does. I wonder about having a weekly list & people could omit to have something/s they didn't like the sound of

Sticks would be good too, so Hazel, Hawthorn, Ash, Willow etc. Especially now as buds would keep fresh longer than leaves. Could also mean you could pretty much count on doing it at a time when other forage not available.

Also you could do one option of forage for drying, as you know which plants dry best.

I forage myself, with basket and scythe whenever possible. Stored right, that is in the shadow, fluffed up on a wire mesh table, it can stay palatable for up to 24h. Stored wrong, like in a bucket, it can start to spoil within 2h. Depends a lot on temperature and huminity though.

One reason for me to feed forage is because it's for free, ecological sensible, free of waste and I do some neighbours a favor mowing plots they don't like to bother with. The thought of having diesel lorrys deliver something as mundane as grass and weeds, maybe packaged and refrigerated, strikes me as pretty decadent.

I reckon that I'm lucky and most don't have those opportunities, but there are others, imo more sensible ways to feed rabbit in that circumstances than having fresh stuff delivered.

Sticks would be good too, so Hazel, Hawthorn, Ash, Willow etc. Especially now as buds would keep fresh longer than leaves. Could also mean you could pretty much count on doing it at a time when other forage not available.

See mine don't do sticks so much, they chew the tasty bits off & maybe eat the ends. Apples are the exception, they are very accomplished at stripping apple sticks

I forage myself, with basket and scythe whenever possible. Stored right, that is in the shadow, fluffed up on a wire mesh table, it can stay palatable for up to 24h. Stored wrong, like in a bucket, it can start to spoil within 2h. Depends a lot on temperature and huminity though.

One reason for me to feed forage is because it's for free, ecological sensible, free of waste and I do some neighbours a favor mowing plots they don't like to bother with. The thought of having diesel lorrys deliver something as mundane as grass and weeds, maybe packaged and refrigerated, strikes me as pretty decadent.

I reckon that I'm lucky and most don't have those opportunities, but there are others, imo more sensible ways to feed rabbit in that circumstances than having fresh stuff delivered.

Thanks preitler - I'll put you down for 10k shipped (by plane) to Austria:lol:

I get what you're saying, however its a little better in my eyes environmentally than buying supermarket veg & herbs which is what many owners do when they want to feed fresh food. Not everyone can or wants to forage but most owners want a healthy diet for their bunnies.

I'm really surprised at how quick your forage spoils. I've never had any spoil - ever . I just leave it in the bag I foraged it in, hanging off a door knob (they like it regular)

Just doing a bit of market research to see if theres a gap in the market for the job of my dreams[emoji38]

Now I know for sure people who forage themselves it'd be a no, but what about those who don't forage but buy dried stuff for their bunnies?

Is fresh an appealing idea.? What would put you off? What kind of quantity would you be likely to order ? What assurances would you need? Would you prefer a seasonal varied mix or to specify half a dozen specific plants? If you got "too much" would you dry it yourself for feeding later?

Please answer whatevers relevant & add any additional thoughts

Thanks

I'd definitely be interested!

I worry about freshness though. I'd be most worried about that, and that the stuff hadn't been sprayed with anything /was definitely safe etc. Depends where its collected from really.

I'd also be really interested in sticks, mine all love them and Atticus can have willow I just don't know how to obtain it.. [emoji38]

If I knew how to dry it, I'd probably do that if I got too much, wouldn't just bin it unless it had gone gross. Either would be fine but I'd need to know what was in the mix for sure.

But yea, I have no idea about plants, and zero time to forage so I'd be really interested in something like this!

See mine don't do sticks so much, they chew the tasty bits off & maybe eat the ends. Apples are the exception, they are very accomplished at stripping apple sticks

Mine will usually eat all of thin sticks, especially if they have small buds on. Thicker sticks have the bark stripped off.

Tree leaves would keep very well. I've kept Bramble leaves (admittedly I've put them in the fridge) for several days and I think that other mature leaves would keep equally well. I reckon an option of a mix of tree leaves would be popular.

Interesting idea - I think your biggest challenge would be picking, packing and posting in time for it to get there and still be fresh enough. But flowers go by post, no reason why a lot of forage couldn't.
It wouldn't be for me as my guys eat more than a bucket a day, but a few potential issues aside from the obvious storage/postage - if people bought it as a one off, would it cause tummy issues if they aren't used to it, and could you be blamed for that? If you could get it to work then maybe a subscription idea might work well, a weekly parcel delivered for example, so that they have a regular supply rather than here and there? You might need to be sure people understand to introduce slowly etc.
I'm still working out the entire year, but Autumn onwards last year we were picking a huge bagful or two, and that would last us over 2-3 days, so it can keep quite well. Obviously it wilts a little, but for things like nettle that can be an advantage. I think you'd have to go with a selection of your choice but with the ability to opt out - so maybe a list of potential inclusions so that people can say what they DON' T want rather than what they do - because you can then use whatever is plentiful and available in the random weather etc that you have, rather than stressing about finding plants people have requested.
If you do do it, and it is wild foraged, then it might also be worth putting a warning about vaccinations and not to use this if your bunnies aren't protected.
The only other aspect is the legal side - I have a suspicion that you aren't supposed to forage wild stuff for profit or something like that, so you might want to look at that just in case someone gets picky.

I definitely would and often buy fresh apple/willow sticks when they're available and would extend this to other things.

When I bought one of my bunny houses the lady who ran the site sent me an email saying she foraged for her buns everyday in her garden and would I like a bag with my new house.

It came at just the right time as Rodney was grieving and he absolutely loved it. It came in a big paper bag by first class and was fine for 48 hours. There was grass in there otherwise it probably would've kept longer.

I'm just not confident enough to forage although am now sending hubby to pillage his Mum's garden every so often but it'd be nice to nor have to annoy him lol.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I'd definitely be interested!

I worry about freshness though. I'd be most worried about that, and that the stuff hadn't been sprayed with anything /was definitely safe etc. Depends where its collected from really.

I'd also be really interested in sticks, mine all love them and Atticus can have willow I just don't know how to obtain it.. [emoji38]

If I knew how to dry it, I'd probably do that if I got too much, wouldn't just bin it unless it had gone gross. Either would be fine but I'd need to know what was in the mix for sure.

But yea, I have no idea about plants, and zero time to forage so I'd be really interested in something like this!

Thanks Graice, thats all very useful.

Aww I didn't know Atticus ate willow :love: that is such a good one for harvesting & drying too. Does he like it dried or fresh? Has he tried hawthorn?

Thanks Graice, thats all very useful.

Aww I didn't know Atticus ate willow :love: that is such a good one for harvesting & drying too. Does he like it dried or fresh? Has he tried hawthorn?

He's never had it fresh! So Idk, knowing him he'd eat it though, he loves everything he just can't have most [emoji38] he also has apple twigs and strips all bark off, eats the leaves etc if they're small enough he just eats them. But yea dried willow he will demolish and it doesn't make things worse

He's never had hawthorn.. Idek what it is [emoji51] I'm shocking at foraging/plant identification [emoji38][emoji38]

Interesting idea - I think your biggest challenge would be picking, packing and posting in time for it to get there and still be fresh enough. But flowers go by post, no reason why a lot of forage couldn't.
It wouldn't be for me as my guys eat more than a bucket a day, but a few potential issues aside from the obvious storage/postage - if people bought it as a one off, would it cause tummy issues if they aren't used to it, and could you be blamed for that? If you could get it to work then maybe a subscription idea might work well, a weekly parcel delivered for example, so that they have a regular supply rather than here and there? You might need to be sure people understand to introduce slowly etc.
I'm still working out the entire year, but Autumn onwards last year we were picking a huge bagful or two, and that would last us over 2-3 days, so it can keep quite well. Obviously it wilts a little, but for things like nettle that can be an advantage. I think you'd have to go with a selection of your choice but with the ability to opt out - so maybe a list of potential inclusions so that people can say what they DON' T want rather than what they do - because you can then use whatever is plentiful and available in the random weather etc that you have, rather than stressing about finding plants people have requested.
If you do do it, and it is wild foraged, then it might also be worth putting a warning about vaccinations and not to use this if your bunnies aren't protected.
The only other aspect is the legal side - I have a suspicion that you aren't supposed to forage wild stuff for profit or something like that, so you might want to look at that just in case someone gets picky.

Super useful points raised here - thank you. I hadn't thought about introducing new foods slowly because that is the usual advice isn't it. Its not anything I've done if I'm honest with regard to forage or hay. Mind you my bunnies forage intake is so minimal at the begining of the season when you walk miles to get a tiny amount so increases "naturally". Personally I've never bought the escalated risk through forage over hay / commercially grown veggies. I would definitely have to have a good think about these things .

Wouldn't it be cool to get a really local (ie within walking distance:lol:) set of customers

I definitely would and often buy fresh apple/willow sticks when they're available and would extend this to other things.

When I bought one of my bunny houses the lady who ran the site sent me an email saying she foraged for her buns everyday in her garden and would I like a bag with my new house.

It came at just the right time as Rodney was grieving and he absolutely loved it. It came in a big paper bag by first class and was fine for 48 hours. There was grass in there otherwise it probably would've kept longer.

I'm just not confident enough to forage although am now sending hubby to pillage his Mum's garden every so often but it'd be nice to nor have to annoy him lol.

If its about confidence & that alone RU is a fab place to get foraging support. How sweet Rodney got a parcel in his hour of need :love:

I'm pleased to hear you don't think its an insane idea & something you'd potentially go for

If its about confidence & that alone RU is a fab place to get foraging support. How sweet Rodney got a parcel in his hour of need :love:

I'm pleased to hear you don't think its an insane idea & something you'd potentially go for
Its more my worry about people thinking I'm strange. I get a bit anxious about fitting in when in public and I'm not sure what gets sprayed around here.

I had some fresh of the droopy willow from Twig and Nibble recently and that went down really well. I was very disappointed to find growing one in our garden is not possible lol.

Its more my worry about people thinking I'm strange. I get a bit anxious about fitting in when in public and I'm not sure what gets sprayed around here.

I had some fresh of the droopy willow from Twig and Nibble recently and that went down really well. I was very disappointed to find growing one in our garden is not possible lol.

Oh christ yes, people DO thing you're strange, teenagers giggle a lot & anyone over 50 can't help themselves in asking what you're doing. The odd person says what are you foraging & some people recognise me & saying "getting your bunnies tea again"

You can get dwarf willows that can grow in a pot if that helps?

I would be interested but not sticks for my two. For me at the moment it would be for giving my bunnies the variety as tbh I dont have time to forage. If my life changes in a little while I will go and collect myself but at the moment this would be a super way when bunnies cant go in the garden and forage for themselves.

I would have to trust that it had been foraged away from traffic and dog walking trails but also I would like to add items that I am not confident collecting.

I think there is also a market for seasonal dry forage. Most of the forage on the popular sites are Chamomile, rose, lavender, marigold etc but it’s all very rich and not ideal for everybun. Syrups cecos go wild when she has lots of floral forage and I can’t imagine she’s the only bun.

Hawthorn, hogweed crispies, all the stuff you and Omi get but I have not learnt would be really cool.

Fresh definitely would be an awesome idea too

Back