Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you spend your hard earned cash on FRESH bunny forage?

Default Would you spend your hard earned cash on FRESH bunny forage?

Just doing a bit of market research to see if theres a gap in the market for the job of my dreams

Now I know for sure people who forage themselves it'd be a no, but what about those who don't forage but buy dried stuff for their bunnies?

Is fresh an appealing idea.? What would put you off? What kind of quantity would you be likely to order ? What assurances would you need? Would you prefer a seasonal varied mix or to specify half a dozen specific plants? If you got "too much" would you dry it yourself for feeding later?

Please answer whatevers relevant & add any additional thoughts

Thanks

Wise Old Thumper

OK, not for me obviously, but I've got some thoughts

I've no idea how long fresh would remain fresh. I'm thinking it would need 1st class post? Some plants would last better than others I guess.

Assurances would I think just be that the plants are what you say they are and are bunny safe, plus of course freshness.

I think from your point of view, specifying 6 specific plants might be too problematic for you. I would try to keep it simple for yourself and offer a seasonal mix.

The proposal could be appealing to people who hadn't a clue about which plants were OK and also people who just cba or don't have time/access to forage areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    OK, not for me obviously, but I've got some thoughts

I've no idea how long fresh would remain fresh. I'm thinking it would need 1st class post? Some plants would last better than others I guess.

Assurances would I think just be that the plants are what you say they are and are bunny safe, plus of course freshness.

I think from your point of view, specifying 6 specific plants might be too problematic for you. I would try to keep it simple for yourself and offer a seasonal mix.

The proposal could be appealing to people who hadn't a clue about which plants were OK and also people who just cba or don't have time/access to forage areas.
    thanks for your thoughts Omi. Yes arriving fresh would be key so it'd have to be 1st class RM or DPD24 . Do you know I don't know how long fresh lasts either...not long enough My hauls have never got past day 3 (obv the massive hauls go to drying as well as feeding), I'll have to experiment

The 6 plants was cos I can imagine some people not wanting certain plants - I wouldn't forage CP anyway for others but that'd be a good example. I think Raspberry is bad for pregnant does. I wonder about having a weekly list & people could omit to have something/s they didn't like the sound of

Wise Old Thumper

Sticks would be good too, so Hazel, Hawthorn, Ash, Willow etc. Especially now as buds would keep fresh longer than leaves. Could also mean you could pretty much count on doing it at a time when other forage not available.

Also you could do one option of forage for drying, as you know which plants dry best.

I forage myself, with basket and scythe whenever possible. Stored right, that is in the shadow, fluffed up on a wire mesh table, it can stay palatable for up to 24h. Stored wrong, like in a bucket, it can start to spoil within 2h. Depends a lot on temperature and huminity though.

One reason for me to feed forage is because it's for free, ecological sensible, free of waste and I do some neighbours a favor mowing plots they don't like to bother with. The thought of having diesel lorrys deliver something as mundane as grass and weeds, maybe packaged and refrigerated, strikes me as pretty decadent.

I reckon that I'm lucky and most don't have those opportunities, but there are others, imo more sensible ways to feed rabbit in that circumstances than having fresh stuff delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Sticks would be good too, so Hazel, Hawthorn, Ash, Willow etc. Especially now as buds would keep fresh longer than leaves. Could also mean you could pretty much count on doing it at a time when other forage not available.
    See mine don't do sticks so much, they chew the tasty bits off & maybe eat the ends. Apples are the exception, they are very accomplished at stripping apple sticks

Quote Originally Posted by Preitler View Post
    I forage myself, with basket and scythe whenever possible. Stored right, that is in the shadow, fluffed up on a wire mesh table, it can stay palatable for up to 24h. Stored wrong, like in a bucket, it can start to spoil within 2h. Depends a lot on temperature and huminity though.

One reason for me to feed forage is because it's for free, ecological sensible, free of waste and I do some neighbours a favor mowing plots they don't like to bother with. The thought of having diesel lorrys deliver something as mundane as grass and weeds, maybe packaged and refrigerated, strikes me as pretty decadent.

I reckon that I'm lucky and most don't have those opportunities, but there are others, imo more sensible ways to feed rabbit in that circumstances than having fresh stuff delivered.
    Thanks preitler - I'll put you down for 10k shipped (by plane) to Austria

I get what you're saying, however its a little better in my eyes environmentally than buying supermarket veg & herbs which is what many owners do when they want to feed fresh food. Not everyone can or wants to forage but most owners want a healthy diet for their bunnies.

I'm really surprised at how quick your forage spoils. I've never had any spoil - ever . I just leave it in the bag I foraged it in, hanging off a door knob (they like it regular)

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Just doing a bit of market research to see if theres a gap in the market for the job of my dreams

Now I know for sure people who forage themselves it'd be a no, but what about those who don't forage but buy dried stuff for their bunnies?

Is fresh an appealing idea.? What would put you off? What kind of quantity would you be likely to order ? What assurances would you need? Would you prefer a seasonal varied mix or to specify half a dozen specific plants? If you got "too much" would you dry it yourself for feeding later?

Please answer whatevers relevant & add any additional thoughts

Thanks
    I'd definitely be interested!

I worry about freshness though. I'd be most worried about that, and that the stuff hadn't been sprayed with anything /was definitely safe etc. Depends where its collected from really.

I'd also be really interested in sticks, mine all love them and Atticus can have willow I just don't know how to obtain it..

If I knew how to dry it, I'd probably do that if I got too much, wouldn't just bin it unless it had gone gross. Either would be fine but I'd need to know what was in the mix for sure.

But yea, I have no idea about plants, and zero time to forage so I'd be really interested in something like this!

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    See mine don't do sticks so much, they chew the tasty bits off & maybe eat the ends. Apples are the exception, they are very accomplished at stripping apple sticks
    Mine will usually eat all of thin sticks, especially if they have small buds on. Thicker sticks have the bark stripped off.

Tree leaves would keep very well. I've kept Bramble leaves (admittedly I've put them in the fridge) for several days and I think that other mature leaves would keep equally well. I reckon an option of a mix of tree leaves would be popular.

Alpha Buck

Interesting idea - I think your biggest challenge would be picking, packing and posting in time for it to get there and still be fresh enough. But flowers go by post, no reason why a lot of forage couldn't.
    It wouldn't be for me as my guys eat more than a bucket a day, but a few potential issues aside from the obvious storage/postage - if people bought it as a one off, would it cause tummy issues if they aren't used to it, and could you be blamed for that? If you could get it to work then maybe a subscription idea might work well, a weekly parcel delivered for example, so that they have a regular supply rather than here and there? You might need to be sure people understand to introduce slowly etc.
    I'm still working out the entire year, but Autumn onwards last year we were picking a huge bagful or two, and that would last us over 2-3 days, so it can keep quite well. Obviously it wilts a little, but for things like nettle that can be an advantage. I think you'd have to go with a selection of your choice but with the ability to opt out - so maybe a list of potential inclusions so that people can say what they DON' T want rather than what they do - because you can then use whatever is plentiful and available in the random weather etc that you have, rather than stressing about finding plants people have requested.
    If you do do it, and it is wild foraged, then it might also be worth putting a warning about vaccinations and not to use this if your bunnies aren't protected.
    The only other aspect is the legal side - I have a suspicion that you aren't supposed to forage wild stuff for profit or something like that, so you might want to look at that just in case someone gets picky.