Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you spend your hard earned cash on FRESH bunny forage?

I definitely would and often buy fresh apple/willow sticks when they're available and would extend this to other things.

When I bought one of my bunny houses the lady who ran the site sent me an email saying she foraged for her buns everyday in her garden and would I like a bag with my new house.

It came at just the right time as Rodney was grieving and he absolutely loved it. It came in a big paper bag by first class and was fine for 48 hours. There was grass in there otherwise it probably would've kept longer.

I'm just not confident enough to forage although am now sending hubby to pillage his Mum's garden every so often but it'd be nice to nor have to annoy him lol.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    I'd definitely be interested!

I worry about freshness though. I'd be most worried about that, and that the stuff hadn't been sprayed with anything /was definitely safe etc. Depends where its collected from really.

I'd also be really interested in sticks, mine all love them and Atticus can have willow I just don't know how to obtain it..

If I knew how to dry it, I'd probably do that if I got too much, wouldn't just bin it unless it had gone gross. Either would be fine but I'd need to know what was in the mix for sure.

But yea, I have no idea about plants, and zero time to forage so I'd be really interested in something like this!
    Thanks Graice, thats all very useful.

Aww I didn't know Atticus ate willow that is such a good one for harvesting & drying too. Does he like it dried or fresh? Has he tried hawthorn?

www.TrawdenSoapKitchen.Etsy.com including Boobly Bears dried forage & herb mix

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Thanks Graice, thats all very useful.

Aww I didn't know Atticus ate willow that is such a good one for harvesting & drying too. Does he like it dried or fresh? Has he tried hawthorn?
    He's never had it fresh! So Idk, knowing him he'd eat it though, he loves everything he just can't have most he also has apple twigs and strips all bark off, eats the leaves etc if they're small enough he just eats them. But yea dried willow he will demolish and it doesn't make things worse

He's never had hawthorn.. Idek what it is I'm shocking at foraging/plant identification

Quote Originally Posted by dollyanna View Post
    Interesting idea - I think your biggest challenge would be picking, packing and posting in time for it to get there and still be fresh enough. But flowers go by post, no reason why a lot of forage couldn't.
    It wouldn't be for me as my guys eat more than a bucket a day, but a few potential issues aside from the obvious storage/postage - if people bought it as a one off, would it cause tummy issues if they aren't used to it, and could you be blamed for that? If you could get it to work then maybe a subscription idea might work well, a weekly parcel delivered for example, so that they have a regular supply rather than here and there? You might need to be sure people understand to introduce slowly etc.
    I'm still working out the entire year, but Autumn onwards last year we were picking a huge bagful or two, and that would last us over 2-3 days, so it can keep quite well. Obviously it wilts a little, but for things like nettle that can be an advantage. I think you'd have to go with a selection of your choice but with the ability to opt out - so maybe a list of potential inclusions so that people can say what they DON' T want rather than what they do - because you can then use whatever is plentiful and available in the random weather etc that you have, rather than stressing about finding plants people have requested.
    If you do do it, and it is wild foraged, then it might also be worth putting a warning about vaccinations and not to use this if your bunnies aren't protected.
    The only other aspect is the legal side - I have a suspicion that you aren't supposed to forage wild stuff for profit or something like that, so you might want to look at that just in case someone gets picky.
    Super useful points raised here - thank you. I hadn't thought about introducing new foods slowly because that is the usual advice isn't it. Its not anything I've done if I'm honest with regard to forage or hay. Mind you my bunnies forage intake is so minimal at the begining of the season when you walk miles to get a tiny amount so increases "naturally". Personally I've never bought the escalated risk through forage over hay / commercially grown veggies. I would definitely have to have a good think about these things .

Wouldn't it be cool to get a really local (ie within walking distance) set of customers

Quote Originally Posted by CarelessSquid07 View Post
    I definitely would and often buy fresh apple/willow sticks when they're available and would extend this to other things.

When I bought one of my bunny houses the lady who ran the site sent me an email saying she foraged for her buns everyday in her garden and would I like a bag with my new house.

It came at just the right time as Rodney was grieving and he absolutely loved it. It came in a big paper bag by first class and was fine for 48 hours. There was grass in there otherwise it probably would've kept longer.

I'm just not confident enough to forage although am now sending hubby to pillage his Mum's garden every so often but it'd be nice to nor have to annoy him lol.

If its about confidence & that alone RU is a fab place to get foraging support. How sweet Rodney got a parcel in his hour of need

I'm pleased to hear you don't think its an insane idea & something you'd potentially go for

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    If its about confidence & that alone RU is a fab place to get foraging support. How sweet Rodney got a parcel in his hour of need

I'm pleased to hear you don't think its an insane idea & something you'd potentially go for
    Its more my worry about people thinking I'm strange. I get a bit anxious about fitting in when in public and I'm not sure what gets sprayed around here.

I had some fresh of the droopy willow from Twig and Nibble recently and that went down really well. I was very disappointed to find growing one in our garden is not possible lol.

Its more my worry about people thinking I'm strange. I get a bit anxious about fitting in when in public and I'm not sure what gets sprayed around here.

I had some fresh of the droopy willow from Twig and Nibble recently and that went down really well. I was very disappointed to find growing one in our garden is not possible lol.

Oh christ yes, people DO thing you're strange, teenagers giggle a lot & anyone over 50 can't help themselves in asking what you're doing. The odd person says what are you foraging & some people recognise me & saying "getting your bunnies tea again"

Alpha Buck

You can get dwarf willows that can grow in a pot if that helps?

I would be interested but not sticks for my two. For me at the moment it would be for giving my bunnies the variety as tbh I dont have time to forage. If my life changes in a little while I will go and collect myself but at the moment this would be a super way when bunnies cant go in the garden and forage for themselves.

I would have to trust that it had been foraged away from traffic and dog walking trails but also I would like to add items that I am not confident collecting.

Default Would you spend your hard earned cash on FRESH bunny forage?

I think there is also a market for seasonal dry forage. Most of the forage on the popular sites are Chamomile, rose, lavender, marigold etc but itís all very rich and not ideal for everybun. Syrups cecos go wild when she has lots of floral forage and I canít imagine sheís the only bun.

Hawthorn, hogweed crispies, all the stuff you and Omi get but I have not learnt would be really cool.

Fresh definitely would be an awesome idea too