• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit won’t pee in his new hutch

Tashanne

New Kit
Hi need help / advice, so my newly 4 month old baby rabbit ( biscuit ) won’t pee in his new hutch. So we have been keeping him inside in a large cage since we had him as the weather has been to cold, we have recently started to introduce him to his new hutch out side, just a few hours a day at the moment but.... he never seems to wee in there and will hold it untill I bring him in and go in his usual corner in his cage. I’m worried 😟 he either doesn’t like his hutch or he is getting confused being outside and bringing him back in early evening. Any advice is much appreciated I’m unsure on what to do we haven’t tried anything yet but need advice. Many thanks x

Hi need help / advice, so my newly 4 month old baby rabbit ( biscuit ) won’t pee in his new hutch. So we have been keeping him inside in a large cage since we had him as the weather has been to cold, we have recently started to introduce him to his new hutch out side, just a few hours a day at the moment but.... he never seems to wee in there and will hold it untill I bring him in and go in his usual corner in his cage. I’m worried 😟 he either doesn’t like his hutch or he is getting confused being outside and bringing him back in early evening. Any advice is much appreciated I’m unsure on what to do we haven’t tried anything yet but need advice. Many thanks x

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

My advice for Biscuit is to keep him indoors all the time at the moment. It is too cold to put a baby rabbit outside full time at the moment and also taking him in and out is not recommended as rabbits, even when adult, can't regulate a change in temperature very well. Once the weather improves in a few weeks, if he is to live outside, then I would transfer him outside full time.

I would think that it's likely that he is confused at the change in his accommodation and that is why he saves his pee for the place he recognises as home. When you transfer him to his new hutch outside, you could also place some of his soiled litter there, so it feels like it's his territory.

It may be a good time to put a litterbox in his indoor area so it can be moved outside with him when it is warm.

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

My advice for Biscuit is to keep him indoors all the time at the moment. It is too cold to put a baby rabbit outside full time at the moment and also taking him in and out is not recommended as rabbits, even when adult, can't regulate a change in temperature very well. Once the weather improves in a few weeks, if he is to live outside, then I would transfer him outside full time.

I would think that it's likely that he is confused at the change in his accommodation and that is why he saves his pee for the place he recognises as home. When you transfer him to his new hutch outside, you could also place some of his soiled litter there, so it feels like it's his territory.

I agree with this.

Aw bless him. I agree that indoors is best until the weather is a lot warmer. Also a rabbit friend to cuddle would increase his confidence.

Back