• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nail clipping - do I need to see a vet?

RinnyRin

Warren Scout
So,

I decided to bite the bullet and try nail clipping for myself. I picked the more “human friendly” of the two to try first [Leafy] - by that, I mean he isn’t quite as skittish around us and will OCASSIONALLY grace us with being allowed to give him pets. BOY was he feisty. As you know, malting is happening too, so fur everywhere! [emoji38] I won’t make the mistake of brushing afterward this time. He doesn’t mind being brushed to be fair, he seems to enjoy it based on his body language.

We decided to clip Ivy tonight too, she was mostly a dream considering she is easily spooked by human presence. We have been making strides in the last few evenings with that though!

ANYWAY. To the question. Despite her being a dream, and even though I was using the squeeze sneeze clip method, you can also see the quick easily and it looked like my clippers were a ways off it, I somehow accidentally cut into the quick of one of her nails...., I did my best to have a look but couldn’t get a good view as she was upset. I put on powder to stop the bleeding and let her go so we could both calm down. I’ll check it properly shortly but she isn’t bleeding anymore.

I feel so bad, it was the last nail and she was doing so well...

I’m just wondering if I should take her to the vet to check it or should I myself just keep a close eye on it and on her in general with a vet visit only if there is signs of infection?

In future, I’m going to use some kind of mesh so I can see their nails a bit better as although they have good nails for clipping, they have long fur around their toes...

Last edited:
This happened to me when I had my sister help me cut the nails of a black bunny after my cataract surgery. I cleaned the clippers before using them (I also clean between bunnies), and after the bleeding stopped I gave her some treats and made sure her litterbox was cleaned to minimize germs. I checked her foot daily for any sign of infection.

Now I do not clip off as much as I could and just do it more often.

Wetting the fur with a wet cloth can make it easier to see the nails.

don't worry, it happens, even to vets . No need to go to the vet, just keep your eye on it as you say .

This happened to me when I had my sister help me cut the nails of a black bunny after my cataract surgery. I cleaned the clippers before using them (I also clean between bunnies), and after the bleeding stopped I gave her some treats and made sure her litterbox was cleaned to minimize germs. I checked her foot daily for any sign of infection.

Now I do not clip off as much as I could and just do it more often.

Wetting the fur with a wet cloth can make it easier to see the nails.

I think I will do the same in future, not clip as much off and more often. It’s not the most pleasant of experiences but it’s always a good opportunity give them a full check over and the more often...hopefully the more likely they will feel less frightened (and I’ll be more confident).

Good tip on the cleaning. I did clean them off after what happened but didn’t think to before and between...good hygiene practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have said, try not to worry. There is some practice involved and I think it can happen to the best of us! Plus now you know and can cut shorter, problem solved :wave:

I've not cut any quicks, but this is mainly because I'm a massive wimp, not very brave and am overly cautious, so tend to do little bits more frequently than big bits every now and then. Plus it's a lot easier with clear nailed buns (but I agree, you can still be easily fooled even then!!). Autumnleaf had black nails and me and OH had to get a mini torch to shine through her nails to check the quick so it took a fair bit longer (we always bunny burrito'd her). In all honestly I would do the burrito'ing and restraining and let OH cut her nails most of the time, as he was much more confident so it was better for her. I did it every now and then to keep up to practice with it, just in case for any reason I was on my own with it one day. :oops:

Likewise there's no harm at all in popping her to the vets if you're struggling in any way, but it's definitely not necessary. I must be a glutton for punishment because now I have another dark bun with dark nails (and we still have the use the torch) :roll: I've kinda got over most of the nervousness of it now. When you have to clip the nails of a very people nervous dog who WOULD bite (at the time), and was still working on muzzle training, it helps with that. :D

You did fine, and what you've done sounds just right. Keep an eye, any signs of further problems you can whisk down to the vets. :wave:

Bunnymommas idea of wetting the fur around the toes is brilliant. Never thought about that one!

As others have said, try not to worry. There is some practice involved and I think it can happen to the best of us! Plus now you know and can cut shorter, problem solved :wave:

I've not cut any quicks, but this is mainly because I'm a massive wimp, not very brave and am overly cautious, so tend to do little bits more frequently than big bits every now and then. Plus it's a lot easier with clear nailed buns (but I agree, you can still be easily fooled even then!!). Autumnleaf had black nails and me and OH had to get a mini torch to shine through her nails to check the quick so it took a fair bit longer (we always bunny burrito'd her). In all honestly I would do the burrito'ing and restraining and let OH cut her nails most of the time, as he was much more confident so it was better for her. I did it every now and then to keep up to practice with it, just in case for any reason I was on my own with it one day. :oops:

Likewise there's no harm at all in popping her to the vets if you're struggling in any way, but it's definitely not necessary. I must be a glutton for punishment because now I have another dark bun with dark nails (and we still have the use the torch) :roll: I've kinda got over most of the nervousness of it now. When you have to clip the nails of a very people nervous dog who WOULD bite (at the time), and was still working on muzzle training, it helps with that. :D

You did fine, and what you've done sounds just right. Keep an eye, any signs of further problems you can whisk down to the vets. :wave:

I used to cut the nails of my previous rabbit (Milly) back in the day. She was one hell of a fighter but my mum was always really confident with keeping her safely restrained so I somehow always managed really well.

I didn’t have my mum this time, not used to owning two bunnies (much more educated about bunnies now and I don’t hate my parents for getting me one when I was young, but I absolutely do spread it out there that rabbits are not children’s pets), so I wasn’t sure what effect separating the two would have and very very much out of practice.

Safe to say I was shaking when I first started, but grew more confident. I know now that although the bad thing happened - I cut one of them, the whole experience on the whole wasn’t as traumatic as I imagined. I feel like once I’m more confident it’ll be a skill both bun buns and I will be glad I had the courage to develop.

I imagine clipping the nails of a dog that could/would bite is one heck of an experience. [emoji28] I haven’t been bitten properly by a dog, but the family border collie (Skye) used to nip my heels when I was a kid to herd us. He also nipped my butt but I don’t remember this happening but the rest of the family absolutely do and won’t let me forget it! [emoji23]

Also thank you for the encouragement [emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back