• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mini Lop Castration age/size

JessBun

Mama Doe
As the title really. Given recent events I'm wondering if anyone can inform me of 'safest' age and size/weight of a mini lop buck to castrate?

Are there any extra risks I should be aware about to consider in relation to mini lops?

I'm aware it's an easier op on bucks than does, but I want to be as prepared as possible for the worst, this time.

Thank you. x

Last edited:
As the title really. Given recent events I'm wondering if anyone can inform me of 'safest' age and size/weight of a mini lop buck to castrate?

Are there any extra risks I should be aware about to consider in relation to mini lops?

I'm aware it's an easier op on bucks than does, but I want to be as prepared as possible for the worst, this time.

Thank you. x
I'd just make sure you find a really rabbit savvy vet, they'll be able to advise etc. Maybe post your rough location on here asking for vet suggestions, that's how I found my vet :)

I don't know much but I think once their balls have dropped it can be done, which can be quite young, otherwise the op is more invasive. A good vet will be able to advise though.

Thank you Graciee.

We have super RWAF recommended vet down the road. Unfortunately they are not taking on new clients/neuters (at least when we last tried) so is the reason we went with the current vet.

I'd just make sure you find a really rabbit savvy vet, they'll be able to advise etc. Maybe post your rough location on here asking for vet suggestions, that's how I found my vet :)

I don't know much but I think once their balls have dropped it can be done, which can be quite young, otherwise the op is more invasive. A good vet will be able to advise though.

I would wait til the RWAF accredited Vet is taking on new clients again. Should happen by July I would think.

Bucks can be neutered as soon as their testes have descended, usually from 12 -14 weeks of age, as long as they weigh at least 1 kg and are in overall good health.

The last few Bucks I have had neutered have been 6 months old. They weren't very big babies so I wanted them to get a good size before castration. I have had younger males neutered but I would always wait until 6 months now unless the boy is behaving "badly".

I have just read your post re Oscar. If you are thinking of getting a new boy, it is not always possible to bond 2 boys successfully. Is there a Rescue near you which has a spayed girl waiting? Oscar would be much happier with a girl than a boy.

I have just read your post re Oscar. If you are thinking of getting a new boy, it is not always possible to bond 2 boys successfully. Is there a Rescue near you which has a spayed girl waiting? Oscar would be much happier with a girl than a boy.

The OP wants a specific breed unlikely to be found in Rescue

Bucks can be neutered as soon as their testes have descended, usually from 12 -14 weeks of age, as long as they weigh at least 1 kg and are in overall good health.

Thank you Jane. He is roughly this age, but just under 1 kg (a healthy weight and has been vet checked, but he's a particular mini 'mini lop') so I wanted to be sure of weight as well.

There is conflicting advice where ever you read/speak to - from 7 months of age, to as you've pointed out 12-14 weeks. I was hoping you would post as trust your information.

They weren't very big babies so I wanted them to get a good size before castration. I have had younger males neutered but I would always wait until 6 months now unless the boy is behaving "badly".

That's the issue I'm having, he's a small bun. But I don't know if younger buns handle ops better (providing of course he's over minimum age and weight suitable for it).

That's the issue I'm having, he's a small bun. But I don't know if younger buns handle ops better (providing of course he's over minimum age and weight suitable for it).

In general the sooner a sexually mature buck is neutered the better. They usually bounce back really quickly. The procedure is far less invasive than a spay, so does not take as long and as long as both testes are descended the abdominal cavity is not opened at all.

My lionhead buck was neutered at 15 weeks. I acquired him at 13 weeks after he was bullied in a pet store and he had bites all over, including on his privates. He came home lethargic and not wanting to do much, though he started nibbling hay/greens before midnight. He got pain meds for 5-7 days and improved each day until he was back to his normal self.

Back