• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oscars vaccination site reaction

JessBun

Mama Doe
Oscar had his first vaccination a couple months-ish ago, along with Bea.

2 days later, he developed a very hard lump at the site of the injection with a wee scab on it. It was obviously very tender to the touch poor chap. I put on some Bunny antiseptic cream (cannot remember the exact name, but it was specifically for small mammals) and kept a close eye on it. It seemed to do the trick as quickly went away over the next few days.

My question is (so I can cross reference with any advice regarding this that the vet gives), of course I need to make the vets aware, but is there any special considerations for his next jab? Bea didn't have the same reaction at all, she was fine. I suppose I'm concerned he could have a more severe reaction the next time, and if anybody has any information on this I'd be most grateful.

Thank you :thumb:

Oscar had his first vaccination a couple months-ish ago, along with Bea.

2 days later, he developed a very hard lump at the site of the injection with a wee scab on it. It was obviously very tender to the touch poor chap. I put on some Bunny antiseptic cream (cannot remember the exact name, but it was specifically for small mammals) and kept a close eye on it. It seemed to do the trick as quickly went away over the next few days.

My question is (so I can cross reference with any advice regarding this that the vet gives), of course I need to make the vets aware, but is there any special considerations for his next jab? Bea didn't have the same reaction at all, she was fine. I suppose I'm concerned he could have a more severe reaction the next time, and if anybody has any information on this I'd be most grateful.

Thank you :thumb:
I think that's quite normal, and can happen :)

Thank you Graciee. So nothing to be worried about for the next vax then, other than making vet aware?

Thank you Graciee. So nothing to be worried about for the next vax then, other than making vet aware?
Wait for Jane to weigh in case I'm way off [emoji38] but yea I think it's fine tbh. I've got 4 buns and I remember 2 of them have had that in the past, but then didn't get it again at their next vaccine :) I'm not entirely sure what causes it but I'm pretty sure my vet has said something about it happening sometimes before too!

I did wonder if the injection method on him was a little bit off compared to Bea's! Although they said he was really good for his so can't see why (I've heard it can be adminstered not 100% correctly)!

Back