• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Transportation

RinnyRin

Warren Scout
Hello guys,

So it’s been a while! My rabbits (Leafy & Ivy) have settled in nicely and getting used to life with us. Ivy is still VERY cautious of humans and no amount of lying down and getting on with my own business will coax her to come investigate without there being food involved. So going too close or being touch is an absolute no go. Make brushing and checking her over and generally everything stress inducing but I have faith. Slow it goes. Boundaries boundaries.

Side note: I had some pellets in my hand two nights ago and was holding it a bit too high up as I was looking over at Leafy. Ivy stood on her back paws and rested her fronts on my hand so she could munch away!

To the actual reason I’m posting!
I am unable to drive though I intend to learn ASAP. Funds are low as I’ve had to use my savings to survive the pandemic and....the pandemic. But I DO cycle. I was pondering whether a bike pet trailer with a solid bottom and having them in the classic hard plastic pet carrier would be way too stressful? My vet is a 35 minute walk away, so with a pet stroller, I feel like it’s a long time of travelling for them.

I’m aware taxi’s exist but I’m very conscious at the minute as I’m very vulnerable - I might have had my jab but I’m still cautious.

I’ve found a few trailers that have an attachment so that if the bike fell over, the trailer will remain upright. Just reaching out for opinions really!

EDIT: Does anyone live in York and have a recommendation for vets? I’m located in Heworth Without, just before you hit the mile or two stretch of fields and few houses between me and Stockton ont’ forest. Maybe there’s vets I do not know about? RWAF only shows one rabbit savvy place and that’s in Stamford Bridge (or somewhere like that - outside of York essentially.

Ivy is the Nethie and Leafy is the Tricolour/Tan.

8c673f6f02f13e5886c7c10bf1b0ecd4.jpg

66a40e3b382f3dc31d83055b749b34d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Your bunnies are really beautiful :love: to answer your question about transporting them to the vets, personally I wouldn't be happy having them in a trailer behind me, and presumably on a road. At least in a pet stroller, they will be able to see you, and you them, which wouldn't happen in a trailer.

Your bunnies are really beautiful :love: to answer your question about transporting them to the vets, personally I wouldn't be happy having them in a trailer behind me, and presumably on a road. At least in a pet stroller, they will be able to see you, and you them, which wouldn't happen in a trailer.

Thank you! I should say the Nethie is Ivy and the Tricolour is Leafy. Both just over a year old.

Ivy had gorgeous eyes, red pupil and red iris. Gosh, I want to just cuddle them so bad! [emoji38]

I know what you mean and it is a definite reservation I have. Do you think having me insight and my presence will help them be calm? It sounds silly but because, particularly Ivy, is very timid and will often run for shelter when you enter the room, I don’t know how important I am (aside from obviously caring for them physically and providing enrichment).

I’m gonna edit my original post but does anyone live in York and have a recommendation for vets? I’m located in Heworth Without, just before you hit the mile or two stretch of fields and few houses between me and Stockton ont’ forest. Maybe there’s vets I do not know about? RWAF only shows one rabbit savvy place and that’s in Stamford Bridge (or somewhere like that - outside of York essentially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't drive either so understand it can be tricky. We've taken bunnies on buses, trains and taxis before but generally we walk, most we've done is a 30 min walk luckily atm it's a 5 min walk. I cycle to work but wouldn't be comfortable cycling with a trailer, would worry the noise/speed/traffic would be too scary for rabbits. I can't help with vets I'm afraid, we recently travelled to that Stamford Bridge practice as a referral as the vet/practice was amazing if you ever have anything complicated.

I don't drive either so understand it can be tricky. We've taken bunnies on buses, trains and taxis before but generally we walk, most we've done is a 30 min walk luckily atm it's a 5 min walk. I cycle to work but wouldn't be comfortable cycling with a trailer, would worry the noise/speed/traffic would be too scary for rabbits. I can't help with vets I'm afraid, we recently travelled to that Stamford Bridge practice as a referral as the vet/practice was amazing if you ever have anything complicated.

Did you also use a pet stroller? How did your rabbits find the journey?

I wish I could drive, that practice is absolutely where I would be going then as they sound brilliant!

Did you also use a pet stroller? How did your rabbits find the journey?

I wish I could drive, that practice is absolutely where I would be going then as they sound brilliant!

Not for our rabbits, although we do have one for our elderly dog. I walked with my partner so we could do 15mins each just carrying them in a plastic carrier, although I have carried a carrier with a single bunny home myself once. Now we live 5 mins away from a vet practice which is very lucky for us.

I use a dog pushchair to carry my rabbits to the vet (in a carrier) it is great. I line it with fleece and towels to cushion the bumps plus they have newspaper and hay in their carrier.

Back