• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Accidental bonding seems to be going well - advice please

tjc

New Kit
I’d appreciate some advice from people who’ve had more experience than me of bunny bonding. A bit of background: I’ve got two boys from the same litter that were neutered a month ago at 20 weeks. Until the neutering they had still lived together in the same house as there had been no fighting, but after the neuter they went a bit crazy (I read on here that the hormone surge can make that happen) and were humping each other and chasing and there was one fight. So I separated them and for the last month they’ve been living in separate cages but have been able to see and sniff each other through the wire. Both their cages also connect to the same run and they’ve been taking turns using it.
I’ve been doing a lot of research on bonding and how to do it - neutral space, etc, etc and I was going to start it in a couple of weeks, but then today my daughter accidentally let them both out in the run together - one of them was already in the run in a box and she didn’t see him and let the other rabbit out. I came through, expecting to have to separate a fight, but there was none of that. They hopped over to each other and did a bit of sniffing. There was no humping or chasing or anything, so I decided to leave them and see what would happen. That was a couple of hours ago and they seem just like they did before the neutering - they’ve been grooming each other and sitting together and in the litter tray together. They’re now flopped out on the carpet next to each other (I would post a picture, but I don’t know how to).
So, obviously it’s great that they’re not fighting and seem to be getting on, but I’m not really sure what to do now - should I leave them together now? Should I separate them tonight? And as they seem fine in their run, do I need to take them to a neutral location?
Thanks for any advice...
Teresa

Well isn't that a lovely Easter present. I love stories when bunnies self bond.

I personally wouldn't bother with neutral space as in your boys case it doesn't seem necessary. I'd leave them together but observe very closely (are they inside??).

I would keep a careful eye on them and if it were me I would separate them tonight and re-start tomorrow. This will give you another day in which to watch how things are going. Good luck.

Back