• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is a Rabbit a Good Fit?

orchid21

New Kit
I am looking for a pet after I graduate university.

Some context: I am 24yo and managing moderate anxiety. At home I had a very close bond with my cat, but he sadly passed away at 15yo last year in very upsetting circumstances. We'd had him since he was born and he instinctively would come and rub on me when I was upset or anxious. I utterly spoilt him and he gave back tenfold; I know I may not get a bond like that again.

I am looking for another affectionate animal I can be very close to long-term, but a dog or another cat aren't an option at the moment. I will be renting, but the landlord doesn't mind small animals. I have looked after cats, horses and guinea pigs and have always had good relationships with animals—I am mindful of their body language and their need for space —but I would be a first-time rabbit carer. It would be an indoor, free-roam situation, I will be home most of the time (work from home) and we have no young children or other animals. Would a rabbit be affectionate enough and be a good fit for us? Thank you, <3

Some context: I am 24yo and managing moderate anxiety. At home I had a very close bond with my cat, but he sadly passed away at 15yo last year in very upsetting circumstances. We'd had him since he was born and he instinctively would come and rub on me when I was upset or anxious. I utterly spoilt him and he gave back tenfold; I know I may not get a bond like that again.

I am looking for another affectionate animal I can be very close to long-term, but a dog or another cat aren't an option at the moment. I will be renting, but the landlord doesn't mind small animals. I have looked after cats, horses and guinea pigs and have always had good relationships with animals—I am mindful of their body language and their need for space —but I would be a first-time rabbit carer. It would be an indoor, free-roam situation, I will be home most of the time (work from home) and we have no young children or other animals. Would a rabbit be affectionate enough and be a good fit for us? Thank you, <3

I am sorry you lost your Cat :cry:

Rabbits are wonderful Pets, but they have very specific care needs. Many are not ‘cuddly’ and hate being picked up. Take a look on here

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/ownership/think-you-want-a-rabbit/

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Rabbits are awesome, but most aren't cuddly or that affectionate ime, and I have a really good relationship with all of mine, and they are all are completely different [emoji38]

Do you like rats? They can be so sweet and affectionate, only downside is life span :(

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Rabbits are awesome, but most aren't cuddly or that affectionate ime, and I have a really good relationship with all of mine, and they are all are completely different [emoji38]

Do you like rats? They can be so sweet and affectionate, only downside is life span :(

I don't mind an animal that isn't intensely affectionate or doesn't like to be picked up. I have lived with cats all my life, they never like to be picked up and everything is on their terms, but I would like an animal that enjoys being petted and wants to be around me.

A rat wouldn't be a fit for me unfortunately, if I bonded with it and it passed away after only a few years I'd be distraught. My partner doesn't like rats either because of the tail. I'm still open to other animals, but it seems like I'm very limited when a cat or a dog isn't an option, :(

I don't mind an animal that isn't intensely affectionate or doesn't like to be picked up. I have lived with cats all my life, they never like to be picked up and everything is on their terms, but I would like an animal that enjoys being petted and wants to be around me.

A rat wouldn't be a fit for me unfortunately, if I bonded with it and it passed away after only a few years I'd be distraught. My partner doesn't like rats either because of the tail. I'm still open to other animals, but it seems like I'm very limited when a cat or a dog isn't an option, :(

Totally get that. See some buns may not want to be anywhere near you, it really depends tbh, they're like cats in a lot of ways I think, but they're a prey animal so some want absolutely no human interaction, some will allow you to pet them on their terms after you've gained trust (food is a great motivatior [emoji38]), then they'll be the rare few who are not like a rabbit at all. I had a cat who I used to say was a cat, dog.. Because she was more like a dog than a cat [emoji38] I've had one rabbit like that, who I lost when she was about 8 months old :(

Other thing is you need to really have two buns, they need company of their own kind.

The only thing I will say, I also have bad anxiety, and the most stressful thing I find about rabbits is the health issues. Gut stasis is just a nightmare.. And it can just happen.. They're very fragile.. And also you need an exotic vet, but they're hard to find.. And even if you have one, my buns always seem to get sick at the weekend or after the vets shut and then I have no exotics out of hours cover [emoji51]

I love my 4 buns more than anything, but I don't think I'll get anymore in the future. The health issues and how unfixable they are, really upsets me and stresses me out tbh.

Not trying to put you off, just I didn't know what I was getting into when I bought two buns just after uni [emoji38] and it's been a roller-coaster since then! And I wish I'd done more research and asked like you are now! [emoji38][emoji38]

Rabbits are lovely, we have 2 as they do need company. As much as I love my buns, they aren’t very cuddly, and they show affection on their terms. One of my buns licks me at certain times of the day but definitely doesn’t like to be disturbed at other times. Despite this I do love them very much.

I’d also say they are prone to health issues, and you really need to ensure they are checked by a rabbit savvy vet.

Totally get that. See some buns may not want to be anywhere near you, it really depends tbh, they're like cats in a lot of ways I think, but they're a prey animal so some want absolutely no human interaction, some will allow you to pet them on their terms after you've gained trust (food is a great motivatior [emoji38]), then they'll be the rare few who are not like a rabbit at all. I had a cat who I used to say was a cat, dog.. Because she was more like a dog than a cat [emoji38] I've had one rabbit like that, who I lost when she was about 8 months old :(

Other thing is you need to really have two buns, they need company of their own kind.

The only thing I will say, I also have bad anxiety, and the most stressful thing I find about rabbits is the health issues. Gut stasis is just a nightmare.. And it can just happen.. They're very fragile.. And also you need an exotic vet, but they're hard to find.. And even if you have one, my buns always seem to get sick at the weekend or after the vets shut and then I have no exotics out of hours cover [emoji51]

I love my 4 buns more than anything, but I don't think I'll get anymore in the future. The health issues and how unfixable they are, really upsets me and stresses me out tbh.

Not trying to put you off, just I didn't know what I was getting into when I bought two buns just after uni [emoji38] and it's been a roller-coaster since then! And I wish I'd done more research and asked like you are now! [emoji38][emoji38]

Rabbits are lovely, we have 2 as they do need company. As much as I love my buns, they aren’t very cuddly, and they show affection on their terms. One of my buns licks me at certain times of the day but definitely doesn’t like to be disturbed at other times. Despite this I do love them very much.

I’d also say they are prone to health issues, and you really need to ensure they are checked by a rabbit savvy vet.

I wasn't aware they have so many health issues! That definitely puts me off a lot. I may not be considering a rabbit in that case, but I don't know what other animal would be suitable. I may just have to move somewhere I can have a cat or a dog, but I like being where I am and it's stress I done need after university, x.x

Graciee articulated her points much better than I did, but the health issues are a real issue. Rabbits are so delicate, and I also find this really stressful. I have bad anxiety and worry a lot.

I hope you find a pet that is suitable, and sorry if I put you off x

Graciee articulated her points much better than I did, but the health issues are a real issue. Rabbits are so delicate, and I also find this really stressful. I have bad anxiety and worry a lot.

I hope you find a pet that is suitable, and sorry if I put you off x

I'd rather be put off than get into a situation I'd regret, :)

The reason why I have rabbits is because they are not so affectionate. I can't deal well with being in the focus, no matter if humans or animals - I love dogs, and foster one now and then for some days or weeks, but the thought of having one, an animal that actually cares anbout me, can't deal with it, fear of loss and so on. Cats would be in between, but I'm not a cat person.
Rabbits are different. They are more like room mates than pets, we live together, share the house, but they have their own agendas, sometimes allowing me to cuddle them or comming to beg for treats, some even demanding pets, but that's it. When I come home it's nom-nom-nom-Oh he's here-nom-nom nom. They come when called, are all over my feet whenever I'm doing something in the kitchen, but it's not the same kind of affection that a dog gives.
There are huge differences in personality, also I keep my rabbits in pairs so they have each other to interact, my intact buck has his cuddlebun - I don't even pretend that she's my pet. Some neutered, single rabbits you spend a lot of time with and the right personality might be different, but that wouldn't be ideal for me then.

Others have given you good advice. Allow me to add an issue I encounter. Many veterinarians do not accept rabbits-my issue-or are not well versed in rabbits; so check your area. You may want to get insurance ,if available in your area, to cover expenses.
Is there a reason you are not adopting another cat given your positive history with cats?
If you volunteer at an animal rescue that has rabbits you will see if a pet rabbit is for you and you may find one that suits you too. As a bonus you can get mh benefits of being with animals while you decide what is best for you.

I have six rabbits (three m/f pairs). I have been lucky as they havent had many health issues. Out of the six only one likes being stroked (on her terms).

I love to sit and watch them. I love the sound they make when chewing hay. I get a real feeling of peace when I sit in the pet room with them. They are such gentle vulnerable creatures and sooooo beautiful.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

https://ibb.co/fF8qQJM

https://ibb.co/D7dsVm8

https://ibb.co/gD9QTsN

Last edited:
I kind of stumbled into rabbit ownership/care, and it is much more in depth to do well than most people would think for definite - but the positives make it very much worth it. Choose carefully (breed type has a lot to do with health) and you can help to minimise the health problems, research your diet carefully and you can reduce it further, and always insure, it isn't expensive compared to the cost of an out of hours fee and worth more than it's weight in gold for those moments when it is finances vs rabbit and you have to make a quick decision.
BUT - they are just amazing, beautiful, magical creatures. It is a privilege to share their world, and an even bigger privilege to be invited into it. There are few things nicer than them choosing to jump in your lap, or nudging to demand cuddles, maybe because they can equally be quite aloof rather then despite that. They are incredibly therapeutic to watch, or just sit with, and time disappears just watching them eat, or sniff, or groom each other.
I would never have one alone by choice, I had that for a short period and the difference is night and day - and the joy of watching them with each other massively outweighs any small loss of attention to us. If anything I think ours are even more likely to be affectionate with us now that they are happy with each other, because they have all their needs met and aren't frustrated.
I would suggest trying to rescue an adult bonded pair if you want an easier route, with babies it is a long road to stability by the time you have waited for maturity to neuter and hormones to settle and bonding can be somewhat stressful, but taking on a pair gets you past that with a bit of luck, and you can just enjoy them from the start.
Coming from someone who never wanted a rabbit, they really are quite special, and I think you'd be pleasantly surprised just what they offer you in return for a good home and a friend. Just read up on common issues, housing etc in advance - the RWAF website is excellent, read that cover to cover and you'll be in a good place!

Seconding @bunny momma's suggestion of volunteering at a rescue. Getting hands on knowledge of rabbits before getting any would give you a good idea of what to expect and if you do go ahead also give you the chance to get to know the personalities of potential adoptees before getting into the adoption process.

Seconding @bunny momma's suggestion of volunteering at a rescue. Getting hands on knowledge of rabbits before getting any would give you a good idea of what to expect and if you do go ahead also give you the chance to get to know the personalities of potential adoptees before getting into the adoption process.

Rescues also have other small animals you may enjoy adopting too.

I kind of stumbled into rabbit ownership/care, and it is much more in depth to do well than most people would think for definite - but the positives make it very much worth it. Choose carefully (breed type has a lot to do with health) and you can help to minimise the health problems, research your diet carefully and you can reduce it further, and always insure, it isn't expensive compared to the cost of an out of hours fee and worth more than it's weight in gold for those moments when it is finances vs rabbit and you have to make a quick decision.
BUT - they are just amazing, beautiful, magical creatures. It is a privilege to share their world, and an even bigger privilege to be invited into it. There are few things nicer than them choosing to jump in your lap, or nudging to demand cuddles, maybe because they can equally be quite aloof rather then despite that. They are incredibly therapeutic to watch, or just sit with, and time disappears just watching them eat, or sniff, or groom each other.
I would never have one alone by choice, I had that for a short period and the difference is night and day - and the joy of watching them with each other massively outweighs any small loss of attention to us. If anything I think ours are even more likely to be affectionate with us now that they are happy with each other, because they have all their needs met and aren't frustrated.
I would suggest trying to rescue an adult bonded pair if you want an easier route, with babies it is a long road to stability by the time you have waited for maturity to neuter and hormones to settle and bonding can be somewhat stressful, but taking on a pair gets you past that with a bit of luck, and you can just enjoy them from the start.
Coming from someone who never wanted a rabbit, they really are quite special, and I think you'd be pleasantly surprised just what they offer you in return for a good home and a friend. Just read up on common issues, housing etc in advance - the RWAF website is excellent, read that cover to cover and you'll be in a good place!

This especially is my view, but I agree with the rest of it as well.

You've done the right thing doing your research. If you choose to own rabbits you will now be aware of any positives and negatives and can enjoy them as the wonderful animals they are.

As well as the RWAF, this forum is also quite a good place for advice and discussion.

I love my rabbits, but in your best interest, and that of any future bunnies, I'm going to give it to you straight!
As someone with anxiety issues, I can tell you that rabbits were the worst decision I've made in my history of animal keeping.
In 'MY' experience they are a huge amount of work and stress with little in return in terms of affection ( in my experience).
The first rabbit I took in - Fifi, wants nothing to do with me. She's not scared! She will jump up into my lap in a heartbeat for her herbs, she just has no interest in us aside from food provision.
My boy Christopher Robin who I got to as a partner for Fifi will take all the snuggles and strokes I'll give him when he's on the floor, but does not tolerate being picked up.
A rabbit can behave one way in one environment/home, and completely differently in another. Fifi is an example of this.
Fifi has issues with not eating her cecotropes ( very smelly squidgy poo that bunnies eat straight from there bot bots). When these don't get eaten you can expect the most rank, stinky, stinky, sticky poo smeared everywhere. I'm lucky as we have stone flooring throughout the downstairs, but I cannot imagine what it would be like with carpet. Even if you don't have issues like I've had with cecotropes, you will always have a few regular bum nugs around the gaff, and the occasional wee, especially while things are new.
I'm always stressed about Fifi's bum fur being soiled, as there is this awful thing called 'fly strike', whereby flys lay eggs in the soiled fur, which hatch into maggots that BURROW INTO THE SKIN!!! Good god! Can you imagine anything more disturbing and distressing for the buns as well as for their carers?! I am living in dread of the summer.
You will need to meticulously bunny proof your ( rented) property- the damage bunnies can do in seconds to wooden doors and skirting boards among many other things, can bite a hefty chunk out of your security deposit. Also you are in this property now where the landlord is OK with smaller pets as you say, but how long will you be there? If the landlord decided to sell up, you would have to find somewhere where the landlord was also OK, and they're not that easy to find. You need to consider a lifespan of ten years easily., you may want children, who will probably come along in that period as you're 25 now. a huuuuge undertaking on top of the rabbits. Will future partners be accepting of house bunnies and all the implications of rabbit ownership? Rehoming is a sadness that some bunnies never recover from.
I worry about them all the time, and am CONSTANTLY cleaning up. Despite a healthy smattering of litter trays around the downstairs, there are always poos and sometimes wees. I dread to think what people are going to think when lockdown ends. I can't imagine anyone would want to eat my food! And I have a very spacious area for the buns, without letting them into the living room, but I can't imagine what it would be like if we didn't have the space we do. Toys and hay everywhere. Not to mention the toilet stuff- then it's smeared, pooey toys and hay everywhere. Constantly checking they're eating and pooing ( gut stasis ).
I know I've painted a very bleak picture of rabbit ownership, and many I'm sure would say otherwise, but as someone with ptsd and anxiety issues, this is my reality, and I wish someone had told me what I now know, beforehand.
If you are happy to deal with the potential for all of the aforementioned, and would be ok with just having the honour of watching these amazing creatures in your home ( if they weren't people orientated), you have the money to be shelling out on vet fees, even if there isn't anything wrong, and you just have paranoia ( and believe, there is plenty to be paranoid about), someone on here said that their bun had been hospitalised 5 times last year with stasis), if you feel able to deal with all of that, then go for it.
Sorry to be so doom and gloom, but the reality of rabbits, very often isn't what is depicted- bunnies living like cats in your home.., following you around and sleeping on your chest while you watch TV.
Sorry. But it's because I care. Get a hamster, you can have an amazing bond with a hammie. 3 years tops commitment. Landlord friendly, home friendly, life friendly, cute as a button. Consider rabbits again when you are better able to say what the next ten years of your life is likely to hold.
So sorry if I sound horrendously patronising, it is absolutely not my intention. I'm coming from a place of having had a great deal of stress and worry brought into my life through my buns. I feel certain that as it's still relatively early days, that things will improve as my experience and knowledge grows, and that I will really enjoy these babies, but at the moment it's an utterly selfless, and thankless job, that most definitely hasn't helped my mental health.
All the very best with whatever you decide on, and with your health [emoji173][emoji173][emoji173]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Its funny how we all paint such a bleak picture of owning rabbits yet can't live without them :lol:

Loads of good points raised though. A couple of bunnies would be lucky to have you. I'm only really familiar with rabbits (had other childhood pets) . I guess the biggest problem is its hard to know what your getting in terms of health, destructive abilities & willingness to bond with you. I love them all (though very grateful 2 of my three like affection from me & none chew much they shouldn't)

Its funny how we all paint such a bleak picture of owning rabbits yet can't live without them [emoji38]

Loads of good points raised though. A couple of bunnies would be lucky to have you. I'm only really familiar with rabbits (had other childhood pets) . I guess the biggest problem is its hard to know what your getting in terms of health, destructive abilities & willingness to bond with you. I love them all (though very grateful 2 of my three like affection from me & none chew much they shouldn't)
I couldn't live without my current 4 they're my everything.. But I could live without buns in general I think [emoji38]

If I can't get a dog in the future (schedule reasons) I'd maybe get another pair of buns though. I think bunnies are amazing but the stress kills me! Plus I don't think they're the best pet for kids, I've got a scar on my leg from when I was 8 and my mini lop jumped off my leg.. [emoji38] Maybe we'll get piggies or something

I couldn't live without my current 4 they're my everything.. But I could live without buns in general I think [emoji38]

If I can't get a dog in the future (schedule reasons) I'd maybe get another pair of buns though. I think bunnies are amazing but the stress kills me! Plus I don't think they're the best pet for kids, I've got a scar on my leg from when I was 8 and my mini lop jumped off my leg.. [emoji38] Maybe we'll get piggies or something

:( Boo . I had you down as a bunnies forever kinda person. Still in the same post you talk about getting more ;)

Back