• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best cage flooring

Plug

New Kit
Hi all,

What do you all use/think is best to put in the bottom of their cage? My little chap is only 4mths so not been neutered yet.....which means he's not yet litter trained. We have vetbed in the bottom of his cage which we've decided is now a pain as he just wees on that. We literally clean out his cage, put fresh vetbed in and shortly after his cage reaks of urine :( We started off using straw but he kept eating it....like ALL the time, and we were worried about him eating too much as it's not full of good nutrients etc
I think that as he has vetbed, he's less inclined to go in his litter tray as I know they like weeing on soft things. We have his hay hung about litter tray and sprinkled in there but he's not interested in weeing in it!

Any idea what we can put in the bottom of his cage instead please?

I use vinyl/lino flooring. It's easy to keep clean and I get it as roll ends for really cheap. I'm waiting for the carpet shops to open up again so I can redo mine.

Last edited:
I use vinyl/lino flooring. It's easy to keep clean and I get it as roll ends for really cheap. I'm waiting for the carpet shops to open up again so I can redo mine.

Thanks! Is it comfy enough for them to sleep/lounge on? Just having a look online and it's quite pricey - gulp!

Mine love it. I go into the carpet shop and buy small off cuts. It's cheap if you but it like that. I would never pay for it by the metre, it's way too expensive. I don't know what your set up is like so it's hard to tell if you are doing a large area. If it's just for the bottom of the cage it will cost about £5 if you can get a roll end/off cut

Last edited:
Thanks! Is it comfy enough for them to sleep/lounge on? Just having a look online and it's quite pricey - gulp!
Mine certainly do, all year round and outdoors! Although if it's wet and cold I have to put newspaper down so they don't end upwith wet feet 24/7 due to our humid microclimate :)

Back