• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to know if a bun's weight is healthy?

Beapig

Mama Doe
I've been a little concerned about Maple's weight recently. She is behaving happily and healthily, but to me she looks to be a lot thinner than my other three rabbits, including her sister who is from the same litter and is the same build as her.

I might be worrying about nothing, but to me her pelvic bones look more obvious than Lily's. My other bunnies generally look more 'rounded' on their bottoms. Is there a good way of telling what is a healthy weight for each rabbit, like a ratio calculation based on their length?

The only thing that has changed diet-wise is that they got a new batch of hay recently and were really fussy about it, however they are having different hay now and eating lots of it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Could it be her moult?

I find Rodney's hip bones start looking really pronounced when he starts shedding heavily. I guess because the fur is looser and thinner.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Could it be her moult?

I find Rodney's hip bones start looking really pronounced when he starts shedding heavily. I guess because the fur is looser and thinner.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I took some photos comparing her to my other buns, and I think I might just be really paranoid haha, because they pretty much look the same! It's just sometimes when she's hopping about, I feel that her pelvis bone looks too sticky-outy. I am a really anxious bunny owner so, I might be worrying over nothing! The moult could be playing a part too.

Thank you so much for that link a reader of books, it does help a lot to compare. Here are some photos of her - she doesn't look underweight going by those diagrams. I don't know why, I just feel that she looks thinner. But she was quite overweight when we got her last summer.

2021-03-25_08-31-00 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150123870@N07/, on Flickr

2021-03-25_08-29-27 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150123870@N07/, on Flickr

2021-03-25_08-29-42 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150123870@N07/, on Flickr

I haven't weighed her Jane, as I don't have any animal scales. I don't know if normal human scales would work? I'm not sure what breed she is as she was a 'freebie' from Gumtree, but her and Lily are both very large. Maybe I should try weighing her and call my vet to see what she weighed when she was vaccinated at the beginning of the year? At the time my vet said she was a healthy weight.

Thank you so much for that link a reader of books, it does help a lot to compare. Here are some photos of her - she doesn't look underweight going by those diagrams. I don't know why, I just feel that she looks thinner. But she was quite overweight when we got her last summer.

I haven't weighed her Jane, as I don't have any animal scales. I don't know if normal human scales would work? I'm not sure what breed she is as she was a 'freebie' from Gumtree, but her and Lily are both very large. Maybe I should try weighing her and call my vet to see what she weighed when she was vaccinated at the beginning of the year? At the time my vet said she was a healthy weight.

Was it your buns that were exactly the same weight at last health check ?If so it would possibly be worth investigating if there is now more than a subtle difference between them I guess you can try the human scales - I don't know how sensitive they are. It might help to weigh you or your patner on your own forst then holding each bun. If not baby scales start at a tenner on ebay (or were)

Was it your buns that were exactly the same weight at last health check ?If so it would possibly be worth investigating if there is now more than a subtle difference between them I guess you can try the human scales - I don't know how sensitive they are. It might help to weigh you or your patner on your own forst then holding each bun. If not baby scales start at a tenner on ebay (or were)

It was Jellybean and Hamilton who were exactly the same weight. I don't remember the weight of Lily and Maple - I will call up tomorrow and attempt to weigh her. I can't put my finger on it, she just seems more slim to me.

Something else (which might not be related) is that on occasion, there will be a puddle of wee on top of the litter tray lid (it is a manor pet housing litter tray) and a pile of poop all soaking in the wee. I'm not sure which of them is doing it and I'm not sure if it's an incontinence type thing or just a bad habit of not going in the litter tray below.

I'm probably reading into everything too much, I just have a strange hunch that something isn't right but can't put my finger on it. Maybe I'll purchase some small animal scales - might be a very handy thing to have.

If they are too large for kitchen scales but not easy to hold for bathroom scales, you could try what we do - use digital luggage scales (about £6) and put the rabbit in a bucket or tubtrug with something yummy to nibble. Weigh the bucket and zero it before putting the rabbit in. We got scales that freeze the weight once it stabilises which makes it easier to be quick and stressless.
But I use condition scales to keep an eye on all my animals - if you learn the scale it is easy to get into the habit of checking each day by feel, becomes second nature. That way if something feels off, you can weigh and check, and over time you will be able to pick up small changes by feel which might be very useful if there is a problem, you'll have chance to spot it before they lose too much weight. Also means if they start gaining weight, you'll notice before they are actually fat and can alter the diet slightly, rather than having to do a more substantial "diet" if they actually get fat.

Ahhh- right owner, wrong rabbits

Was it Maple or Lilly with excess cecos & has that now resolved?

Maple is beautiful:love: She looks like a Harlequin rabbit, yet may be a mix with those markings too.

Sometimes my bunnies feel different too. It depends if they have full tummy from just eating,less hydrated, moulting, or condition of muscles. Also when they do loose weight or muscle their skin feels loose.
I am glad I took Jane's advice and purchased a baby scale. It was great when I had to have vet update med dose in a growing bunny during covid, to adjust pellet/treat rations,or identify possible illness/dental issues.
My vet goes by how much bone/fat he feels around ribs and spine. He must use chart linked in Jane's post.:D

Last edited:
Is there a good way of telling what is a healthy weight for each rabbit, like a ratio calculation based on their length?
Definitely not that: Lopsy is round and Aboleth was long but they weighed about the same.

Lopsy feels a bit skinny at the moment, has done for a while (not underweight but not 'normal' for him). I should try and weigh him: my approach might be pick him up in the litter tray and weigh us altogether then just me and the litter tray. He won't necessarily sit quietly in the litter tray but he won't jump out IME XD I like the bucket idea!

I read somewhere that when you run your hand over a Rabbit's back you should be able to just feel the spine which means Bunny is a good weight. Your Bunny looks fine to me BP.

Does this help? https://www.pfma.org.uk/_assets/docs/pet-size-o-meter/pet-size-o-meter-rabbit.pdf It's from this page, which tells you more about how you can tell if the bunny's weight is okay: https://www.pfma.org.uk/rabbit-size-o-meter/

I don't know of any way to calculate an ideal weight for a bunny, but I find that the vet can usually tell me what a good weight would be for each bunny, so you could ask next time you're at the vets. :)

Edit: Oh, that's a good guide that IM linked to, too. :D
Really helpful

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I don't know much at all on this subject, but she doesn't look underweight at all to me. She is very pretty

If they are too large for kitchen scales but not easy to hold for bathroom scales, you could try what we do - use digital luggage scales (about £6) and put the rabbit in a bucket or tubtrug with something yummy to nibble. Weigh the bucket and zero it before putting the rabbit in. We got scales that freeze the weight once it stabilises which makes it easier to be quick and stressless.
But I use condition scales to keep an eye on all my animals - if you learn the scale it is easy to get into the habit of checking each day by feel, becomes second nature. That way if something feels off, you can weigh and check, and over time you will be able to pick up small changes by feel which might be very useful if there is a problem, you'll have chance to spot it before they lose too much weight. Also means if they start gaining weight, you'll notice before they are actually fat and can alter the diet slightly, rather than having to do a more substantial "diet" if they actually get fat.
Excellent weighing hack. I've been really stressing about how to weigh my bubbas

Thank you so much for your messages everyone, so sorry for the late reply, I'm really struggling to get on the forum much at the moment :( I'm ordering some scales so I can weigh her myself. However, I think she probably is completely okay, and if anything my other three bunnies are a big too chubby...especially Jellybean, I'm looking at you Mrs :lol:

Thank you so much for your messages everyone, so sorry for the late reply, I'm really struggling to get on the forum much at the moment :( I'm ordering some scales so I can weigh her myself. However, I think she probably is completely okay, and if anything my other three bunnies are a big too chubby...especially Jellybean, I'm looking at you Mrs :lol:

Not chubby, just ‘well built’ :lol:

Back