• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bigwig (July 2018 - March 2021)

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Bigwig was a one of a kind bunny, she came into my life unexpectedly after being left outside the vet practice I was working at in a washing basket. Sadly the vets decision was to put them to sleep so I offered to take them home to hand rear despite no experience! They were strong bunnies and did amazingly well, Bigwig was always the boldest of them all. Fiver, the smallest, left for the bridge suddenly at 4 weeks old and Blackavar and Hazel went together to a wonderful home. Bigwig had lots of interest but we couldn't find anyone that was offering her the right home, at this point we'd had her spayed and she spent evenings binkying and racing around our bedroom before lying out on our bed :love: We couldn't let her go so when we moved house she lived in a large pen in our kitchen before being bonded with Jake and Jasmine, the bond went well and they were friends for several months before Bigwig started with some unusual behaviours and had to be separated. She spent a while undergoing hormone tests and became very naughty, we decided to move her back downstairs but have free range of our kitchen/dining. She settled back in really well and loved our company again, she would binky every morning when we stepped over the baby gate and would follow us round. When my partner started working from home she'd settle herself by his feet and nudge him throughout the day so she'd get strokes all day or she'd be found flopped out somewhere. We noticed her breathing wasn't right and after tests and a referral to an amazing vet she was diagnosed with a lung mass, she did really well on medication for a couple of months and always took her meds really well until she suddenly declined. Her lungs wouldn't get any better and she wasn't enjoying things anymore, we spent her last weekend full of lots of cuddles and her favourite foods. She passed very peacefully being told how loved she was. She will be reunited with Fiver and Blackaver who also passed with lung issues. She didn't have a very long life, but she made the most of it and we are glad we didn't find a home for her. Binky free Bigwig, we will always miss and remember you xxx

IMG_20180803_174055102 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20180804_135644454 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20180805_180839093 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20180806_182920630 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20181007_161318177_BURST000_COVER_TOP by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20181106_235010324 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20181109_224520016 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20181202_224754916 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20190305_161106143 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20200322_114007120 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20200727_182649182 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20200819_112021832 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20201118_105150088 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20201219_191648674 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20201225_110650170 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20210106_124528462 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20210216_200931869 by Hliz, on Flickr

IMG_20210322_220104404 by Hliz, on Flickr

Last edited:
I am so sorry to read this. What is abundantly clear is the world of love and care and a life filled with hope from such an almost impossible start. Bigwigs character and soul was nurtured right from the beginning with the gentle patience that she and her siblings deserved. It is clear from those delightful and touching special photos that bigwig was unique in a way that made her such a treasured special little rabbit. She lived her life surrounded by unlimited love and a special connection with you.
Binkey free you beautiful special rabbit, bigwig. May you finally catch up with your brothers and sisters and tell them of the wonderful life you were given. Xx
Huge hugs to you Liz Xx

What a stunning rabbit she was :love: Sounds like she had an absolutely wonderful life with you after such a cruel start. She was one lucky bunny.
Thinking of you xx

Due to a long absence from RU I didn't know you had Bigwig as a baby! What an amazing effort you made for her and her siblings. Thinking about you at what makes must be a very sad time. xx

What a wonderful set of photos, she found you and kept you till the end. How much she was loved comes over so strongly. A fitting tribute to your special bunny.

She was an amazing bunny and she was very lucky to have you to take such good care of her. I’m sorry she didn’t have a longer life with you, but it couldn’t have been any better :love:

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

What a lovely story! Such beautiful photos, and a very special journey to have had with her. She might not have had a long life, but she certainly lived it to the full!!
I love your little felted(?) Bigwig in front of her photo.

Such an amazing and beautiful bunny! Lovely pictures. Beautifully written. I'm sure she was very glad you didn't find a home for her so she could have a wonderful life with you:love:

She certainly was fortunate you accepted the responsibility to hand rear these lovely bunnies. She and her siblings were absolutely adorable as babies, and she grew into a beautiful bunny girl. I must add that she looks a lot like my Amber.
It saddens me that the vet was going to PTS until you agreed to take them home; yet it was like getting a special delivery to you.
I am so sorry for your loss.

She had a fabulous life. I'm not sure I noticed how 'alert' her eyes always were before, she looked like she was always into everything :) And that frilly bumskirt :love: Binky free Bigwig; big hugs for you all, Liz xx

Thank you everyone :love: The little needle felt was made by my partner as a gift this year. We are quite pleased she lost her fluff as she grew up as we did worry about how we'd keep her tidy!! She went through many phases of fluffiness and how thick her mane and skirt were :lol: I think Jack dog has noticed she's gone, Bigwig really liked him. They were never together, always separated by a dog gate with attached pen panel, but Bigwig would run to it and Binky when Jack was there. Jack would sometimes bring his toys to the gate :lol: We've opened it now and he is reluctant to go through to the kitchen and stands looking at the open gate.

Sorry to hear about Bigwig, what a beautiful life she had with you! Such an amazing story and beautiful pictures. Binky free little bun xx

Back