• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Concerned about my rabbit's inactive behaviour

Benベン

New Kit
Hello everyone,

I adopted two adorable bunnies (Dakko-f and Chaplin-m) early January. They're both about 1 year old. They were already a pair and were getting along very well. Gradually I let them out of their cage end eventually I let them free roam in my room. Casualties: 2 cables.

Ten days later, I had 2 adult rabbits and 9 baby rabbits :lol:. Then 4 weeks after I was fortunate to find a person running a shelter who took them all under her wing. As they were still too young, she took mummy as well until we could separate them. But just before that time, she gave birth to 5 more babies.. So she had to stay there for 6 more weeks. Right now, two weeks to go. I miss her :cry:

Anyway, what I'm concerned about is their behaviour, especially Chaplin's. When I adopted them they weren't too shy and it was easy to approach and stroke them. They explored their new environment slowly but surely until they got acquainted to it. However once they had access to the space under my bed, they would stay there for a very long time. That didn't concern me.
But now, I find Chaplin very inactive. He would stay under the bed literally all day long. I feed him when I get up, then I don't see him all day apart from the occasional bathroom and some hay munching. Even when he's out and free during his active times (dusk and dawn), he just sits there. Also he doesn't want to play, ever, although I tried quite a few different toys. Recently he got a nice 10m2 run in the garden, I hoped he would hop around a bit more, but he doesn't and just sits in a corner or behind, or in, his palace of a hutch. He never runs.
Ah, and he's neutered now.

Should this be considered normal behaviour and Chaplin is just an extremely chill rabbit? Or am I right to be concerned?

Awww, I bet you miss her. Not long now.
In my experience rabbits do vary significantly in how active they are. Since Chaplin is less active now than he used to be it could be he is missing his bonded friend . Hopefully when they are bonded back together he'll be more active & motivated . If he is eating & pooping well I'd try not to worry for now.

Back