• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Checking for castration

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
This might seem a strange question, but is there a definitive way to check if a bun is castrated when under anaesthetic/sedation? Odin is going in this week for x-rays to investigate his teeth and back end, there's always been a slight question mark over his neutering - it doesn't feel like he has any testicles but there is still more than nothing. His behaviour suggests he is neutered most of the time (no aggression, no humping us, no circling, no spraying of significance, and we had a lovely couple of months with no humping at all over winter), but currently we're back on humping a lot - not like when they were first bonded, and they spend a lot of time snuggling, but still a lot of humping and every day. I'm also not sure if he is spraying a little, there's been a couple of things that looke like they might be but they would be the only indication of this, and I'm not sure if it's actually Freja peeing as she runs away cos he tends to pester her in the litter tray.

So is it possible to get a definite answer when he's knocked out without actually cutting him to look do you think?

And if not, how long does Spring Fever last?! It's been about a month so far!!:roll:

Ultrasound perhaps? In dogs and cats you can check for cryptorchid testicles with ultrasound but I'm not sure about rabbits...

Not sure on the furry ball checks.

However Spring Fever wise, I find Rodney often gets extra springy when the weather turns nice the first few times of the year.

For instance today he's been full of beans and sitting in the breeze coming through the window with his little nose twitching with glee and then zooming about.

He was the same the last time we had a few good clear days, poor Blossom is getting fur pulled when he feels extra boisterous which seems to be his humping equivalent.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Great, thanks, I'll ask her to ultrasound and try and get an answer once and for all.
I'm happy to let rabbits be rabbits, and I don't see how he can be without more indications, especially as he settled completely with no humping for weeks, but this Spring Fever has lasted a month so far and seems to just be getting more intense in some ways - taking more hair in the last couple of days for example. Yet they still spend hours just chilling and snuggling, so surely if he was entire he wouldn't be able to do that?
Does anyone happen to keep an entire male with a neutered female and can tell me what it is actually like to compare?

Great, thanks, I'll ask her to ultrasound and try and get an answer once and for all.
I'm happy to let rabbits be rabbits, and I don't see how he can be without more indications, especially as he settled completely with no humping for weeks, but this Spring Fever has lasted a month so far and seems to just be getting more intense in some ways - taking more hair in the last couple of days for example. Yet they still spend hours just chilling and snuggling, so surely if he was entire he wouldn't be able to do that?
Does anyone happen to keep an entire male with a neutered female and can tell me what it is actually like to compare?

I have had 2 Bucks who were neutered but had adrenal gland hyperplasia so behaved as if they were entire. Initially it was just humping a lot, but with periods of more ‘normal’ neutered Buck behaviour. Over time the humping became more manic and there was lots of spraying too. In the end I had to separate the Bucks from their partners until the treatment for their Adrenal gland disease kicked in. They both had hormone implants which worked well.

https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-460783

I have had 2 Bucks who were neutered but had adrenal gland hyperplasia so behaved as if they were entire. Initially it was just humping a lot, but with periods of more ‘normal’ neutered Buck behaviour. Over time the humping became more manic and there was lots of spraying too. In the end I had to separate the Bucks from their partners until the treatment for their Adrenal gland disease kicked in. They both had hormone implants which worked well.

https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-460783

Thank you, you have mentioned this in previous threads so I've been reading up on it and ready to go further if needed, but if I can determine once and for all that he is actually neutered I'll be a lot happier!

Back