• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jasmine's gunky eye UD Final update 12/10

Thank you everyone :love: Jasmine is still having Emeprid every 4 hours. She is refusing most of what we offer but when we peek in at her she's nibbling hay and is more active today so fingers crossed we'll see an improvement soon. She's clean just leaving ceco's now which will occasionally be in her fur.

Yeah she doesn't like being syringe fed, I think we were doing it too watery. She doesn't like anything touching her whiskers/mouth.

It is positive she wants to eat, is more active, and has output.
Watery critical care gives extra fluids and is fine for the rare ones who lap it from syringe, yet mine are not impressed. Mine never took it from a bowl, though it is worth trying. If your bunny gets pellets you can try moistening some.

Sending vibes for continued improvement.

Thank you. She's still not eating on her own really, all she'd had yesterday and overnight is a few bites of carrot and romaine lettuce. She won't finish anything fully. We've opted to just syringe a pellet 'mash' today see if she's not getting on with recovery plus. Her poo's are wet, some are almost formed, but then she's leaving dark coloured marks on the puppy pads, yet she her bottom is mostly clean. The patches isn't dark coloured urine as I've seen her urinate normally. Her wound looks really good, I just wish she'd start eating :(

I'm really sorry Jasmine's still not eating on her own, and that her poos don't look normal. :( Sending her lots more vibes. I so hope she'll start eating more soon.

Can you ask the Vet if the abx bead was clindamycin and if so could some have gotten into her GI tract from draining into the sinuses and being swallowed. This may account for her anorexia .

Thanks everyone, I asked but apparently it was just baytril used during surgery incase of any ingestion. I'm not sure how long I should leave her, but then not sue what else the vets could do?

How does she seem within herself ?

She seems as normal, she's not tried to scratch her eye, doesn't seem in any pain. She runs from us stamping her feet as she would before at meds time and is bitey. She isn't doing any uncomfortable/stasis type behaviour, but will actively move away from food and angrily push it away.

ETA: We'd let her back out with Jake to keep things as normal as possible for her, but since yesterday evening she's been back in the crate so we can monitor her better and leave her with a range of foods. Since her last Emeprid dose at 1.30pm she's eaten five tiny (1cm) slices of carrot and a small bit of broccoli about 3 hours after we'd put them in for her. There's still lettuce, hay, redigrass, dandelion leaves, herby hay mix and pellets she won't touch.

Last edited:
Could she need more pain meds? While she may not be in constant pain, eating may be uncomfortable so she wants to eat then it aches-similar to what my dental bunny does.
Syringing a pellet mash is a good plan, though mine often got stuck in syringe. I use a small electric coffee grinder to pulverize dry pellets and add water and some recovery food to get consistency-a tiny amount of banana /baby food also helps consistency if your bunny can tolerate.
Sorry about rambling about syringe feed.
Her eye healing well is a plus. Her poo may not look normal until she eats hay.
Is she with her friend?Just read why you had to separate.

Last edited:
Might sound like a silly question, but when she was under GA did the Vet check her teeth ? I know you said the skull radiographs showed that the tooth roots are OK, but what about the crowns ?

I wonder if eating just feels very different for her at the moment or if things are tasting bad if her bead is draining into her sinuses.

With his first dental it took Rodney a good week of twice a day metacam and emeprid and then three times a day rantidine before he would munch hay. Oddly apple twigs he went straight back to.

A nugget slurry is a good syringe option if the syringe food is a problem baby food added can help it move through the syringe. I use Ella's kitchen baby pouches or canned unsweetened pumpkin.

Some buns tolerate different syringe foods, my vet always suggests oxbow critical care for younger buns and Science Select recovery sachets for older buns.

Sending vibes that she continues to be well in herself and that the munching picks up x

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thank you all, sorry just a quick reply for now. The vet said her teeth were ok yeah, but she did have a dental on some of her molars for spurs. She is tolerating a pellet mash much better then the recovery plus. We've just let her out the crate to spend some time with Jake.

While I read about bunnies that eat well after a dental, that has not been my experience-even when there is little to no tissue damage from the spurs.

Glad Jasmine is doing better on pellet mash.

Thank you, I guess I've always been lucky I've not had a rabbit refuse food for more than a day with the correct medications. I thought it was too good to be true that both Jasmine and Ellie came home doing really well. She's just taken about 3 bites of a bit of carrot after I gave it to her and crept out the room to watch, which is the first time she's gone for something so soon after being given normally it's hours later but it want much.

I didn’t realise she had had a dental as well. Is she on twice daily metacam? Sometimes the vet will agree to this to give better pain coverage. Frosty took a week or more after one dental to recover properly. He wasn’t very receptive to syringe feeds but would eat pellet mush mixed with fruit/veg purée or Ella’s kitchen type fruit/veg baby food from Aldi. He also had a few gut meds too to kick start his eating. Topping up the vibes and hugs xx

Thank you xx

She's passing a few small handfuls of poo a day, dark but is more formed, although some are quite wet and she's leaving ceco's. I did see her go down to her bottom blind side first and she lost her balance a bit so perhaps that's why. I've seen her drink several times and she's weeing normally. She doesn't like baby food, she's normally quite fussy! She doesn't like anything wet, her veg has to be really dry after washing or normally she won't eat it. She is on twice a day Loxicom, quite a high dose, the vet usually gives it twice a day for bunnies as says they metabolise it much quicker.

I am glad she is making progress. My bunnies generally get twice a day Meloxicam because I have seen where it wears off before 24 hours in some bunnies. It is good that your vet believes in adequate pain relief.

Some bunnies can be very fussy, and I often have to go to a different store to find the greens my fussy bunny will eat.

Jasmine is so lucky to have such devoted humans. I hope she enjoyed her time out to visit Jake.

Thank you :) We just went to give her a syringe feed and didn't in the end as she was in her tray rummaging at the hay and I saw her eat a couple of full strands for the first time :love:

Back