• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jasmine's gunky eye UD Final update 12/10

Thank you everyone for all the support and love.

Jasmine looked terrible, lost a lot of weight and very dirty despite having been cleaned ready for our visit (due to her diarrhoea not the vets, the vets have been very good). She'd made no improvement and was clearly suffering, we just couldn't save her. She passed away peacefully with us. We will bury her near Bigwig, just trying to make the decision on whether to show Jake her body, I think we should.

I just kept saying this shouldn't have happened. :cry: We will be taking this further.

((((((((Hugs))))))))) :cry:

Thank you all, I'm sorry I can't reply individually but I am very grateful. Also I did read Jane's lovely post and am heartened that so many people care about Jasmine and are upset by her awful passing xx

We did let Jake say goodbye, he spent some time eating hay and ignoring. But I think he did know, he was just unsure. Then he came and sniffed over her head/chest and hopped away.

I just don't know how to process this. I've been waking up the past few nights several times just thinking about her and how awful this has been and it's all just so sad.

I'm so so sorry for your loss:cry:
I understand you wake up during the nights with all the stress you have been through.
R.i.p Jasmine

My heart breaks for you having to deal with both the loss of your beloved Jasmine and the terrible mistake that led to her demise. Everyone who read Jasmine's story, even those who did not have time to post, are now familiar with the dangers of the use of this antibiotic because we have seen it devastate a family. While it will not bring your girl back, her sad story is keeping others safer-a guardian angel.

Thank you all, I'm sorry I can't reply individually but I am very grateful. Also I did read Jane's lovely post and am heartened that so many people care about Jasmine and are upset by her awful passing xx

We did let Jake say goodbye, he spent some time eating hay and ignoring. But I think he did know, he was just unsure. Then he came and sniffed over her head/chest and hopped away.

I just don't know how to process this. I've been waking up the past few nights several times just thinking about her and how awful this has been and it's all just so sad.

It is 315am and I am unable to sleep thinking of all you have gone through Liz :cry: My heart breaks for you, it really does :cry:

Jasmine will NEVER be forgotten. Her legacy is now that anyone reading her thread will know to question, question and question again about what a similar surgical procedure will involve. One mention of the word ‘ANTIROBE’ or ‘CLINDAMYCIN’ and a BIG RED FLAG will be raised.

Jasmine has not died in vain

RIP beautiful brave Bunny xx

:cry:

Last edited:
I'm so, so sorry you had to say goodbye to Jasmine, Liz. :cry: This should never have happened and my heart is hurting for you. It's such a tragedy. :cry:

I'm so sorry :'( I'm so angry for you and also heart broken :'( sending you so many hugs xx

I am so sorry to read this update about poor sweet and gentle Jasmine. Binkey free beautiful gentle Jasmine - you touched many hearts and you will always be remembered.
Big hugs to you Liz. Xx

Thank you all, feeling very sad all the time atm. :cry:

My OH is asking about Jake and a friend. We'd be happy to get a friend for him and hopefully find an older girl in a rescue but I'm a bit worried since Jake has had treatment in the past for pasteurella, and then Bigwig showed no upper resp signs but had her lung wash come back with a strain of pasteurella and then Jasmine had her abscess, not sure if that could be been caused by pasteurella. Jake was sneezing in December although had a swab which showed something different to pasteurella and had treatment accordingly. Does this mean we should look for a rabbit symptomatic with pasteurella also?? Which might prove tricky, or are these illnesses not related, just wondering if Jake could now be a carrier or something?

Back