• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jasmine's gunky eye UD Final update 12/10

Aww bless her. Noodleys eye didn't look like that when it was removed, it was a clean looking normally wound with sutures. She did end up getting an abscess where the socket had been so when that was removed it was left open (not as gory as it sounds). From memory I had to clean around the outside any debris with saline & used manuka too x

Does anyone have experience of caring for an enucleation wound, did you find the wound went hard/black during recovery?

** WARNING PICTURES BELOW SHOW WOUND/STITCHES IN PLACE ** SOME MAY FIND UNPLEASANT l

First photo is the wound a day or so after the op. 2nd photo was taken earlier this week, it's the 'sunken' in area that has gone darker in colour and feels very hard. I don't have any more recent photos.
808963fad9c420a30900f1ce210915d6.jpg
0f4c777b44eab6b3ba232ff4c7101865.jpg

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Looks exactly like my Mr Bean’s surgical wound. Yes, it did become very hard as it healed. The discolouration may be a haemotoma. If it is it should gradually resolve. Personally I would not want her to have more surgical intervention at this stage.

Sorry to go back to this, but the abx bead was definitely not anterobe was it ?.

Thank you both. I have seen through work better and worse looking enucleation wounds, but Jasmine's is/was towards the better end so I am surprised the OOH vets aren't too happy with it. She is unable to have another GA right now and I agree it isn't a good idea so I've said to just leave the wound.

I am concerned re the abx bead, I am sure abx bead was mentioned, but it's not on my invoice and when I've asked about it I've told they just used baytril as an antibiotic during. As far as I'm aware antibiotic beads containing baytril don't exist?? So it doesn't look like beads were actually used, her regular vets rarely use anything other than baytril for small furries and often have to order things in so sounds right they'd just use baytril and not anything else but not sure what use baytril would have been during the op??

Thank you both. I have seen through work better and worse looking enucleation wounds, but Jasmine's is/was towards the better end so I am surprised the OOH vets aren't too happy with it. She is unable to have another GA right now and I agree it isn't a good idea so I've said to just leave the wound.

I am concerned re the abx bead, I am sure abx bead was mentioned, but it's not on my invoice and when I've asked about it I've told they just used baytril as an antibiotic during. As far as I'm aware antibiotic beads containing baytril don't exist?? So it doesn't look like beads were actually used, her regular vets rarely use anything other than baytril for small furries and often have to order things in so sounds right they'd just use baytril and not anything else but not sure what use baytril would have been during the op??

They could have just put the Baytril directly into the socket before closing it. I would be very surprised if that caused the gastric problems. But if antirobe was used, that is an entirely different matter.

I have no advice, but I'm glad she's still bright and is nibbling some hay and drinking. And I want to send her lots more vibes. Also, with Jake being quite bullyish during vet trips, it sounds for the best that you didn't bring him with her, since that might have just caused her more stress instead of comfort.

I've called our regular vets and she was given an ANTIROBE 75MG CAPSULE opened up into the wound during the op :cry: I'm.so upset, when IM first mentioned about the bead I questioned it and was told it wasn't, but it's on her history and the receptionist confirmed. The receptionist said oh we wouldn't have used it if it's toxic, I've asked for a call back from the vet but they're not in till tomorrow.

I called the vets who's care she's in now and straight away they were shocked she'd had this and the vet there is going to give me a call back in regards to adding anything extra to her treatment now that we know it's ANTIROBE.

I understand mistakes happen but this really should've been checked by the original vet, I'm not sure what to do here but of course I'll be moving vets

I've called our regular vets and she was given an ANTIROBE 75MG CAPSULE opened up into the wound during the op :cry: I'm.so upset, when IM first mentioned about the bead I questioned it and was told it wasn't, but it's on her history and the receptionist confirmed. The receptionist said oh we wouldn't have used it if it's toxic, I've asked for a call back from the vet but they're not in till tomorrow.

I called the vets who's care she's in now and straight away they were shocked she'd had this and the vet there is going to give me a call back in regards to adding anything extra to her treatment now that we know it's ANTIROBE.

I understand mistakes happen but this really should've been checked by the original vet, I'm not sure what to do here but of course I'll be moving vets
Poor Jasmine :( sending you both so many vibes xxx

Oh, no, that's horrible. Poor girl. :( You're so right, the original vet should've checked. I hope the vets who are caring for her now can help her recover from this awful mistake. Lots more vibes for Jasmine.

Bloody hell :cry:

Do mention Cholestyramine ( Questran) to the Vet

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1548840/

Thank you everyone. The vets are going to source that drug to help block the toxins so thank you! She's still bright, but passing brown water.

I've sent an email to her regular (although I'm afraid now has to be previous) vet as I didn't get anywhere with reception getting them to take notice how serious giving her Antirobe was. I've simply linked the NOAH compendium, MSD animal health manual and the actual Antirobe leaflet which all state it must not be given to rabbits and has a high chance of causing antibiotic enterotoxemia and asking for the vet to give me a call as Jasmine is very poorly. I appreciate how hard vets work but Jasmine is going through this all because of a poor choice of drug, I simply can't understand why it was given so need to have a conversation about this.

I’m so so sorry you and Jasmine are going through all of this. It’s not fair or right :cry: topping up the vibes and hugs xx

I'm so sorry, what a terrible mistake! Poor Jasmine:cry:
Questran really helped one of my friends rabbit with enterotoxemia, hope it will help Jasmine. It's good she is under veterinary supervision and get all the fluids, meds and nutrition she needs!

I am so sorry Jasmine is so poorly. Now that you know what threw her bacterial balance to get out of whack, they will be able to treat her accordingly.
Sending you lots of vibes for her complete recovery.
You have been through so much lately, so I hope things turn around for you too.(((((hugs)))))

Thank you everyone. The vets are going to source that drug to help block the toxins so thank you! She's still bright, but passing brown water.

I've sent an email to her regular (although I'm afraid now has to be previous) vet as I didn't get anywhere with reception getting them to take notice how serious giving her Antirobe was. I've simply linked the NOAH compendium, MSD animal health manual and the actual Antirobe leaflet which all state it must not be given to rabbits and has a high chance of causing antibiotic enterotoxemia and asking for the vet to give me a call as Jasmine is very poorly. I appreciate how hard vets work but Jasmine is going through this all because of a poor choice of drug, I simply can't understand why it was given so need to have a conversation about this.

You are so right Liz. Of course everyone makes mistakes. But now this one MUST be learned from as far as the Vet is concerned so that he/she does not make a similar one again. This is not the first time I have flagged up on RU justhow dangerous clindimycin is to Rabbits. The last time disaster was averted when a RU member posted how her Vet had given her some beads to break open and pack into an open abscess that needing flushing daily, the abscess was easily accessible for the Rabbit to lick. :shock::shock: Thankfully the member did not do it.

Small independent (human) Pharmacies are the best place to source Cholestyramine. I am sending millions of vibes for Jasmine.

Lots more vibes for Jasmine. I hope that the vet can obtain the medication and that she will improve now.

I only know you through ru, yet admire how much care you have given her. It breaks my heart that you are enduring this worry about your special Jasmine because of an awful mistake that occurred during a surgery to give her a better life.
Sending vibes the fluids ,supportive care and meds ; and Jasmines determination will have her feeling better soon.

Thank you everyone for the support :love: The morning update from the nurse is that she's passed one pool of diarrhoea but is doing smaller, more formed poop and is eating bits on her own. I'll know more from the vet re if they managed to get bloods/medications after 11am from the vet update.

Back