• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jasmine's gunky eye UD Final update 12/10

Thank you. It'll be an anxious day for us! I'm unfortunately having complications following my procedure, so won't be with them before hand :( I have asked my partner to still get the vets to call myself first as I'm hoping to still make the decisions. They called me yesterday and I didn't answer as I'd just had my premed for the operation, and text my partner to call them back. He spoke to me later saying they'd already had a phone call from me but asked if I was ok, I don't remember ringing them but it's there on my phone so I must have done it whilst out of it being premed and said goodness knows what for the vets to be a bit confused!! :oops: :lol: Apparently they were just checking they were doing ok for their ops.

Thank you. It'll be an anxious day for us! I'm unfortunately having complications following my procedure, so won't be with them before hand :( I have asked my partner to still get the vets to call myself first as I'm hoping to still make the decisions. They called me yesterday and I didn't answer as I'd just had my premed for the operation, and text my partner to call them back. He spoke to me later saying they'd already had a phone call from me but asked if I was ok, I don't remember ringing them but it's there on my phone so I must have done it whilst out of it being premed and said goodness knows what for the vets to be a bit confused!! :oops: :lol: Apparently they were just checking they were doing ok for their ops.
Oh, no, a phone call you remember nothing about. :lol: I hope things will go well for Jasmine today, and I'm sorry you're having complications from your procedure. I hope both Jasmine and you will feel better soon.

Thank you all.

Sadly it's not too good news for Jasmine, the vet called and said her eye looks like it's being pushed out the socket. :( She's had an X ray and teeth roots look ok, but there is something behind her eye. We gave permission for enucleation and she's had a retrobulbar abscess removed too behind the eye. We're sending that and the eye off for histology. She's having a dental too just incase. She's still under GA now. Poor Jasmine, I hope she will be ok when she comes round :(

Thank you all.

Sadly it's not too good news for Jasmine, the vet called and said her eye looks like it's being pushed out the socket. :( She's had an X ray and teeth roots look ok, but there is something behind her eye. We gave permission for enucleation and she's had a retrobulbar abscess removed too behind the eye. We're sending that and the eye off for histology. She's having a dental too just incase. She's still under GA now. Poor Jasmine, I hope she will be ok when she comes round :(

I am sorry. I really hope that she will make a good recovery x

Thank you X I was hoping we didn't dive in too soon agreeing to have her eye removed, but on researching researching the abscess it seems to be the only option. I just hope she will be ok in recovery being a very stressy bun and it doesn't return :(

I hope she does well Liz. Lots of vibesfor you both. My half blind bunny was so much better once she had her eye removed

Thank you, that's good to hear. I don't think Jasmine's eye sight was that good before (blue eyes) so hopefully she will be more used to finding her way around less reliant on her sight anyway. I hope Jake will treat her nicely, he is unfortunately quite a selfish rabbit and hasn't taken much care of his previous partner when unwell!!

I’m sorry it wasn’t better news but I’m sure I would have made the same decision. Less chance of reoccurrence I would think, too. Sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

I hope Jasmine is recovering well, you've done your very best for her so don't waste time wondering if you jumped in too soon. She'll hopefully soon be happier without that discomfort.

Thank you everyone :love: we've just picked her up, she's moving well and seems bright. She's taken a tentative nibble of hay. Jake is luckily ignoring her for now. She's not due any medication until tomorrow. The vet asked if I wanted to see a picture of her eye/the abscess which I said yes and it looked fairly big bless her.

Best wishes for a good recovery :D She'll look wonky and you'll forever be offering treats the wrong side, but Aboleth was otherwise no different to any other rabbit :) She was super grumpy before her op, according to the rescue!

Back