• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jasmine's gunky eye UD Final update 12/10

Thanks all :) I did go to give her a dandelion from the wrong side already!! She's moving around and is eating Readigrass atm so I'm really pleased with her. She has some blood on her paw and was told the wound may weep, but to avoid cleaning it for first 48 hours to not dislodge anything. I'm really hoping she won't run/scratch at it. She had antibiotic beads put in so I hope it won't come back.

Oh no poor Jasmine! But she seems better already. I would have made the same decision.

Lots of vibes for you both.

Thank you. She's doing really well. She is getting a bit spooked if Jake runs up to her from the blind side, but hopefully she'll get used to it. The wound is looking ok, does anyone know if I can put Manuka Honey on it? I've never actually used this at home.

Thank you. She's doing really well. She is getting a bit spooked if Jake runs up to her from the blind side, but hopefully she'll get used to it. The wound is looking ok, does anyone know if I can put Manuka Honey on it? I've never actually used this at home.

Personally I wouldnt at this stage, especially if she is actually with Jake as he will lick the honey. IME leaving the surgical site alone as much as possible is the best way to go. Glad to hear that she is doing well :D

Thank you, it makes sense to leave it alone right now :) I'm checking on her regularly and just given some more Readigrass she's gobbling down. She put up a fight (usual for her) for her meds this morning, amazing how well animals cope. Her wound looks bruised but is normal, won't add a picture yet.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Thank you, it makes sense to leave it alone right now :) I'm checking on her regularly and just given some more Readigrass she's gobbling down. She put up a fight (usual for her) for her meds this morning, amazing how well animals cope. Her wound looks bruised but is normal, won't add a picture yet.

When one of my Rabbits had his eye removed the surgical site did look awful for the first few days, but he was not in the least bit bothered. He was just glad that a useless painful eye was gone. By this time next week I am sure Jasmine’s wound will be looking much less bruised.

Bless her. Wonderful news she is gbbling Readigrass.

Thank you. Jasmine isn't eating this morning :( She's pushing food away. We've got recovery plus and will get gut stimulants tomorrow or from the OOH vets today if she goes downhill.

Thank you. Jasmine isn't eating this morning :( She's pushing food away. We've got recovery plus and will get gut stimulants tomorrow or from the OOH vets today if she goes downhill.

Oh no, what dose of pain relief is she on and is she on oral antibiotics ?

Oh no, what dose of pain relief is she on and is she on oral antibiotics ?

Thank you, she's on Loxicom Dog 0.8ml twice per day, and baytril also twice per day. She's just taken 12ml recovery plus fairly willingly and we've shut her in the crate with a range of food so we can monitor her input/output without Jake. She is now nibbling kale and angry with us.

Thank you, she's on Loxicom Dog 0.8ml twice per day, and baytril also twice per day. She's just taken 12ml recovery plus fairly willingly and we've shut her in the crate with a range of food so we can monitor her input/output without Jake. She is now nibbling kale and angry with us.

Oral Baytril can cause anorexia in some Rabbits. Hopefully she will start to ea more for herself this afternoon x

I'm sorry Jasmine hasn't been feeling well today. :( I hope she'll feel hungrier soon. It's good that she had some syringe feed, at least, and started nibbling some kale. Lots of vibes for her.

Thank you. She's still refusing most food, only taken one tiny 'apple snack' and nibbles of kale. She's moving around and stamps her feet at us. We've syringe fed more recovery plus but leaving her to settle for a couple of hours before next check. I'm worrying as we're going to a funeral tomorrow, setting off before the vets open, so will have to call when I get chance and hope they'll dispense some gut stimulants without a visit but I think that's unlikely, so we could just pick them up on the way home in the afternoon.

I'm not sure whether to keep her separate from Jake or not, he's being quite good and earlier wasn't actually eating all the food. He never grooms Jasmine and hasn't shown any interest in her eye but unsure about leaving them unattended tomorrow?

sending more vibes. The vet who saw her recently may dispense gut stimulants.
How is her output? Is she drinking or getting enough fluid from greens and syringe feeds?
My vet dispenses gut stimulants, yet finds syringe feeds, pain relief and hydration to be the most helpful.
Sending vibes.

Thank you. She's still refusing most food, only taken one tiny 'apple snack' and nibbles of kale. She's moving around and stamps her feet at us. We've syringe fed more recovery plus but leaving her to settle for a couple of hours before next check. I'm worrying as we're going to a funeral tomorrow, setting off before the vets open, so will have to call when I get chance and hope they'll dispense some gut stimulants without a visit but I think that's unlikely, so we could just pick them up on the way home in the afternoon.

I'm not sure whether to keep her separate from Jake or not, he's being quite good and earlier wasn't actually eating all the food. He never grooms Jasmine and hasn't shown any interest in her eye but unsure about leaving them unattended tomorrow?

Is she producing poo ? If not I dont suppoe there is any way you could get her admitted to the Vet this morning,dropping her off enroute to the Funeral ?

So sorry that you are having such an awful time at the moment :cry:

Back