• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jasmine's gunky eye UD Final update 12/10

Thank you. Jasmine has been eating slightly more and pooing more. This morning she seems to have gown down hill again, her bottom was very messy with wet poop and she was pushing away kale and Dandelions.

I'm going to call the vets tomorrow, but we have all the usual meds which she's on (except baytril, that finished yesterday). Perhaps she's getting a runny bum cos she's eating more veg than usual and little hay, but then if we don't give her veg we don't know if she's still eating etc :(

I expect a combination of extra veg, lack of hay and being on abx is why she has a mucky bum. Sorry that she still seems to be struggling to recover from her op’ :cry: I hope the Vet can suggest something which may help.

I'm really sorry Jasmine went downhill again this morning. :( I hope the vets know something that would help her when you call them tomorrow. So many vibes for Jasmine.

Thank you, I'm not sure if we should go to the OOH vets. She's drinking and eating veg but some these 'splats' of poop I'm very worried about. Any ideas? Not sure what other medication she can be on? She's on Fibreplex and drinking bio lapis in her water.
77b15c15e7c9155bce9bc6ba12170d90.jpg
536136f61d0c1bb360ee3f9c60173d81.jpg
acc9dcdff514fe08947a37a5455f554e.jpg

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

:( Poor baby. That looks like true diarrohea & I can understand your worry. I think thats classed as a medical emergency for buns. Personally I'd seek some medical advice & hope you get someone decent OOH x

Definitely call the OOH Vet.

I would suggest she needs to be started on IV fluids, Cholestyramine (Questran)and possibly Metronidazole.

Thank you, I called the OOH and wasn't very good. They said she's on all the medications they would think to give her, all they would do is syringe feed and if they hospitalise they don't have rabbit specific accommodation. :( I know this vets in the day time is very good with dogs, it's where Jack goes. Jasmine is eating kale but I think we'll stop veg and just syringe pro Fibre pellets/cut up hay try and load her up with fibre.

She's not on baytril incase that was any cause, and I'm thinking of perhaps stopping emeprid? I know in dogs it makes diarrhoea worse and it gets the guts moving too quickly, I don't know if this can happen in rabbits but perhaps things are moving through to quickly? But then of course we need her to start eating hay etc on her own. We'll still call her regular vets and get her in tomorrow morning

I'm really sorry the OOH vet wasn't very helpful. :( Is there another vet somewhere you could call that's open? One of the worries with diarrhea like that is that they'll get dehydrated quickly, and then she'll be even more ill.

She's drinking but we just picked her up to syringe feed and it was just dropping from her bottom :cry: I called the vets back and the vet agreed she needs admitting and we had a better discussion. She's going for 6.30

Sending Jasmine loads of vibes. I, too, would be concerned about dehydration. Maybe syringe feed and make it very watery. I would stop the veg, but I'm not sure what I'd do about the Emeprid. What a worry that your OOH vet isn't more helpful.

Thank you, I called the OOH and wasn't very good. They said she's on all the medications they would think to give her, all they would do is syringe feed and if they hospitalise they don't have rabbit specific accommodation. :( I know this vets in the day time is very good with dogs, it's where Jack goes. Jasmine is eating kale but I think we'll stop veg and just syringe pro Fibre pellets/cut up hay try and load her up with fibre.

She's not on baytril incase that was any cause, and I'm thinking of perhaps stopping emeprid? I know in dogs it makes diarrhoea worse and it gets the guts moving too quickly, I don't know if this can happen in rabbits but perhaps things are moving through to quickly? But then of course we need her to start eating hay etc on her own. We'll still call her regular vets and get her in tomorrow morning
Just had a look at the pictures, Atticus passes loads of stuff like that after an episode. Can you give her lots of fluids? Might be worth doing sq or getting an ear catheter? My vet always says oral fluids til the stuff starts coming out, then switch (I know this is a different situation, just thinking you don't want her getting dehydrated, as diarrhoea in buns can be quite dangerous I think)

Will she eat grass? I think my priority would be to keep her eating however you can, but maybe syringe feeding cc or something else high fibre if she won't eat hay yet. Do you have any twigs? Or sticks she can strip?

Poor girl it's so difficult, sending her and you lots of vibes xx

She's drinking but we just picked her up to syringe feed and it was just dropping from her bottom :cry: I called the vets back and the vet agreed she needs admitting and we had a better discussion. She's going for 6.30
Poor girl I hope they can keep her hydrated xx

Even if she is drinking she will still need IVs, for the electrolytes as much as for the fluids. I really hope she will pull through. Cholestyramine saved the life of one of my Rabbits who developed antibiotic induced enteritis .

Sending Jasmine so, so many vibes, and you, too, as you must be so worried. I'm glad she'll be at the OOH vets soon. I really hope they'll make her more comfortable.

Back