Thread: Really submissive male

Default Really submissive male

Hi I wonder if someone could help. Iím all new to rabbits I was sold 2 males they are 16 weeks and were castrated yesterday. Anyway the seem to get on sleeping together etc. However I have noticed the dominant male keeps nipping the side of the submissive males fur only prob once a day but the submissive rabbit doesnít seem to mind.
    However when in the run outside if the dominant male chases the submissive one he runs away. Iím so confused do they like each other? Or is the submissive one scared? I donít want to keep them together if he is frightened.
    Thanks

Wise Old Thumper

Has this behaviour just started since they were castrated?

No it has happened since we got them about 4 weeks ago...

How old are they?

They are 16 weeks

Wise Old Thumper

I think this could just be hormones due to their age. Neutering should stop this, but it might take a few more weeks as the hormone levels don't change immediately a buck is neutered. I would just keep a very close watch to make sure that there is no real aggression. Then re-assess the situation in about 6 weeks time. I think things should have calmed down by then.

Wise Old Thumper

Personally I would separate them as the submissive boy won't be very happy living like this. You can then try to bond them in about 6 or 8 weeks but there is no guarantee they will be happy together. You will need to put them in a neutral space.