• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flopsy wont eat...desperate...

Flopsy took all the baby food and banana from the syringe last night on 4 seperate feeds, he has also eaten about a 1/4 of a slice of toast and had a nibble on one of his favourite biscuits overnight. He's shredding his cabbage but wont eat it, and although he looks thin, he's still bouncing round and playing. Will keep you posted.

Sending positive thoughts for Apollo..

bunnytales said:
Come now Flopsy - you be a good girl for you mum :wink:

Encouraging news! - I hope she's behaving herself :lol: :lol:

:shock: Pay attention Lany, keep up. Flopsy's a boy! :wink: :roll: :lol:

bunnyhuggger said:
bunnytales said:
Come now Flopsy - you be a good girl for you mum :wink:

Encouraging news! - I hope she's behaving herself :lol: :lol:

:shock: Pay attention Lany, keep up. Flopsy's a boy! :wink: :roll: :lol:

Awwwwww sorry Flopsy how could I - Slapped Wrists for me then :lol: :lol:

So how is our boy doing now - hope he is eating you out of house and home - any news :?:

Sorry, got cut off there.

Its been a mixed weekend for Flopsy, he seemed to be picking up on Friday, he ate 21g of pellets on his own over 24 hours as well as some toast and baby food and banana from the syringe.

Saturday he started to refuse the syringe and was eating very little, things werent looking too good when we put him to bed at 12. Then overnight he took about half a slice of toast, 10g of rabbit mix, a chunk of banana and a big portion of a large cabbage leaf. Sis and I were delighted and hoped he had turned the corner, but today he is still only taking banana from the syringe, he wont have baby food, and he is eating very little for himself.

He is very playful, bouncing around and doesnt look as though he is in pain at all. He now weighs 4lb 4 when he normally weighs between 5lb and 5lb 2.

Still very worried, will keep you posted...

Hi Lynne - noticed your first post was on Wednesday - that's a little while now that he hasn't been eating much :(

Have you tried tempting him with fresh herbs - basil and mint smell really nice and often tempt them, and herbs are good for them.

It's good he's playful and lively, but if he is losing weight and not eating much, I'd be tempted to take him to the vets again, just to have him checked over.

Will be ringing the vet tomorrow, I called in on Saturday to get another syringe and had a chat with the vet who did the op. He said he couldnt really suggest anything else and to keep trying to tempt him.

Tried corriander, but he wasnt too impressed. Seems to like warm toast best at the moment.. the living room floor looks like a tapas bar!

Trying to stay positive...

Flopsy has just returned from the vets, and has been given a clean bill of health! he has lost weight (according to the vets very impressive graph printed off the computer!) however his teeth are fine and his gut is functioning - plenty of poo!!

Although he is still not eating as much as he was, he is eating cabbage and hard food. The vet thinks it is quite normal for bunnies of a certain age to eat less.. We think he is about 10 although we cant be sure as we havent had him since he was a baby.

We are still worried, but are hoping the worst is behind him. Thanks to everyone for your support and advice, it is very much appreciated. Will try to get a picture of him on here so you can all see how beautiful he is!

cheeky done that once , he went off his food , his teeth were fine , his gut was fine etc , clean bill of health , the vet put him on critical care forumla . one pinch a day on his food , it worked wonders . why not ask your vet what he thinks .

Awwww Lynne - thats more positive news re little Flopsey - and just 10 years young eh!! - just a lifetime ahead of her then - what a great Gal - Fingers and paws crossed for your little bunster but great to hear that although still a few small worries (Do we ever stop - Not me thinks!) - sounds like good vibes for this little buster.

Who's a clever girl then! - Snuggles for Fopsey XXXXX

Flopsy has put on some weight and is eating more food! Think we are all starting to feel a little better!

Will be purchasing some critter care to keep in reserve, hopefully his appetite will continue to improve. :D Trying to get him to eat hay, but with little success.

Thanks for the advice, Flops sends snuggles.

Back