• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heidi can use some vibes-update 3/19/21

She got off sub q fluids second week, yet stayed on meds until I stopped meds 3/15/21.
Yesterday she ate breakfast and made pee/poo overnight. She refused lunch which she never does. I gave medicam, metacloprimide, and sub q fluids. A couple hours later she ate her lunch and an hour later she made small hard poo. During evening her poo size and quantity grew. She ate her supper and today's breakfast well. Then she begged for more.

She is shedding more and grooming her is endless battle. She will stay on meds / fluids until vet is available for consult on monday.

The last few weeks she started drinking less-water-than she did in the past, so I wonder if that is cause or effect. Her skin seems like she is hydrated.

We need few vibes.

Sending lots and lots of vibes for little Heidi. I find tummy problems can happen so fast when they're shedding, and if she's been drinking less water, too, that won't help... Keeping her on meds and fluids until she can see a vet on Monday sounds good. I hope she'll feel a bit better soon. I'm glad she ate her breakfast today, at least, and was begging for more. That's a good sign. :love:

Thank you friends, The vibes are always welcome. She enjoyed basking in the sunshine we had Saturday afternoon. She is keeping me vigilant and clean her litterbox two or three times each day to analyze her poos. Glad she is not possessive about them like my Raven who will charge at me when I touch his litterbox. :lol:
Saturday she was making nice normal poos, though she was shedding a lot. I kept up the meds, yet did not do sub Q fluids because she drank even though I gave her a lot more fluids that I planned on Friday. I was glad her tummy was feeling less firm too after her huge pile of poops Friday night and Saturday.
Sunday morning she was doing well, eating hay/pellets and drinking/pooping enough overnight.
Now she is back to not wanting to drink so I am trying to give her more time to drink on her own before I give her sub Q fluids.
From the looks of her, it will be a long time before she stops shedding, so I hope she can keep eating enough hay and drinking enough fluids to keep everything moving well. Either way, I will keep her on a maintenance dose of motility meds for a while longer so she does not relapse like she did last week.

Last edited:
I'm sorry she's back to not wanting to drink after she was doing better, and that it looks like she won't be done shedding anytime soon... Sending her lots more vibes. Keeping her on the motility meds sounds like a good idea.

Back