• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Intermittent weepy eye

Mervinius

Mama Doe
Archie had a watery eye a week ago Wed. Looked like he'd been crying. Within an hr it had dried up and his eye was fine until late Friday night. We noticed he was squinting and it was watery with a small bit of milky discharge.

Saturday morning I woke up early and his eye looked perfectly normal

Sunday his eye looked a teeny weeny bit weepier than the other eye and was slightly red under the bottom eyelid. We decided we'd get him checked just to make sure he was OK.

So I phoned the vets and took him in Wed, which was the earliest I could get....by then his eye looked normal.

Vet had a good check all over. He put dye in his eye and it showed no scratches, and the tear duct was clear. Teeth all perfect and said he was in excellent health. All he could see was a teeny red mark on the lower lid. He said he must have got something in his eye which came out by itself, but caused a little irritation.

This evening his eye is weirdly weepy again. Its a week since it last weeped. It doesn't look red or sore. He's acting normal, eating pooping and doing binkies.

I will phone the vets tomorrow to see what they want us to do. I wondered if he might have irritated it again doing a bunny flop. He does properly fling himself and roll around like a dog. [emoji849]

I've attached a picture, please note he naturally has red tinged eyelids. It's just a bit wet under his eye.

d5fa4fc0b9a433bf9ac5e4948ffb6363.jpg

Allergies? Hay may have more pollen or hay dust to irritate eye or block duct. Perhaps some fur, or turned eyelash?
He is still so handsome.

Elongated tooth roots maybe, this can only be ruled out by taking skull radiographs, they cannot be ruled out just by looking at the crowns of the teeth in the mouth. In the early stages the symptoms can be intermittent.

Brachycephalic breeds are very prone to ETR

I have wondered about allergies, but also concerned about teeth. I'll phone the vet and see what he suggests.

I dont think anything can be stuck in his eye now, because the vet checked Wed. But maybe its still irritated. Why is it always on a weekend!

I'll go take a look at him in a mo. Just waking up and my eyes are still blurry!

Eye looks fine this morning. He's just yumming up his brekky. Our vet isn't in today, so they've left a note for him for monday. I'll keep an eye on him over the weekend. I will get the vacuum out and get rid of some loose bun floof!
44f31627495b9bd67e02e631d59064c7.jpg

Last edited:
Back