• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit quarantine advice please!

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
This week Poppy has had to go to the vet after developing an ear abscess. It's her second in 12 months, so the vet opted to fit a stoma this time. I took Billy with me to collect her today but when I got there, the vet said I needed to keep them separate for a week and only let them have time together if I can fully supervise, to stop him from cleaning her wound.

They shared the carrier home (they calm each other in the car), and had 10 mins supervised together in their room, but it was quickly apparent that I just can't let them have any time together at all. He automatically goes right for the wound to start cleaning and it stresses them out to have me chasing him off her constantly.

My question is, should the rabbits be kept in separate rooms altogether, or should they have separate halves of the same room, separated by panels? Both options are fine with me, it's about what is less stressful for them (especially Poppy)

This week Poppy has had to go to the vet after developing an ear abscess. It's her second in 12 months, so the vet opted to fit a stoma this time. I took Billy with me to collect her today but when I got there, the vet said I needed to keep them separate for a week and only let them have time together if I can fully supervise, to stop him from cleaning her wound.

They shared the carrier home (they calm each other in the car), and had 10 mins supervised together in their room, but it was quickly apparent that I just can't let them have any time together at all. He automatically goes right for the wound to start cleaning and it stresses them out to have me chasing him off her constantly.

My question is, should the rabbits be kept in separate rooms altogether, or should they have separate halves of the same room, separated by panels? Both options are fine with me, it's about what is less stressful for them (especially Poppy)

Personally I’d try same room separated by panels first. I hope Poppy’s ear abscess will resolve, hate the damn things x

I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise specifically, but I agree, I think that same room separated by panels would be best. Sending lots of vibes for Poppy, I hope it clears up soon xx

Personally I’d try same room separated by panels first. I hope Poppy’s ear abscess will resolve, hate the damn things x

I agree, hoping it will be a comfort they know the other is there even if they can't cuddle & groom. Move to option B if they don't settle. Poor Poppy - I hope she feels better soon

Poor Billy spent several days looking so sad without her, now he's investigating the panels for gaps and pulling at the bars to get through to her side. When he tires himself out, he'll go for a snooze and come back again 10 mins later or so.

I keep thinking the sound must be alarming for Poppy, then remembering she's probably completely deaf right now :(

They've been separate for 3 days (60 hours ish) with some short spells together. Billy, I think, is putting himself at risk to get to her and she's chewing the bars a lot.

Anyways, I just found him on her half of the room, as he'd somehow got a wedge under the panels and squeezed under.

Still not sure if it would be safer to separate fully, as we have 6 more days to get through.

Have you got a big dog crate at all? They might be happier if one is inside and the other can get to all sides of them. I had to restrict Freja for a while when she was injured, but Odin was happy to just sleep alongside her or eat around her, and I put food through the bars so they could both eat togethe as normal. Might be worth a try?

Have you got a big dog crate at all? They might be happier if one is inside and the other can get to all sides of them. I had to restrict Freja for a while when she was injured, but Odin was happy to just sleep alongside her or eat around her, and I put food through the bars so they could both eat togethe as normal. Might be worth a try?

I think it might be a bit tougher for whoever is enclosed. Poppy is brightening up and looking to explore again, so it would be hard on her to be penned up. Billy would still be desperate to get out to express his spring fever if he were the one enclosed...

Billy got through 3 times last night. Every time, I removed or reinforced where he got through. Still woke up at 4am to find him following Poppy around trying to hump her, and her looking quite distressed about it. I think I'll have to separate properly because I don't know how to stop this otherwise.

Back