• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had a terrible emergency vet appointment for Casper and am angry

I hope you can get some rest whilst they are at the vets. I’m sure you will be worried but I’m sure he will be fine:love:

Aw, thank you, Zoobec and Rhianna. :love: I did get some sleep and I'll go take another nap now, so that's been nice. And I just got off the phone with the vets and everything went well, so that's a big relief! :D I can't wait until they're back home. :love:

Thank you, Zoobec and IM. :love: They're back home and Casper's already running around, and Sophie's eaten some hay already. Hopefully Casper will start eating soon, too, but it usually takes a few days before he's back to eating normally, so we'll see. :love:

Thank you, Zoobec and IM. :love: They're back home and Casper's already running around, and Sophie's eaten some hay already. Hopefully Casper will start eating soon, too, but it usually takes a few days before he's back to eating normally, so we'll see. :love:

The fact that he’s running around is great news. Hopefully once he realises his mouth won’t hurt when he eats he will start doing so x

Awww what clever bunnies. I'm happy they are back home . I don't think I need to send recovery vibes if he is bounding about already :lol:

Thank you, IM, Omi, and j&b. :love: I was glad to see him running around already, yeah! :D I offered him some different things and he ate some dried forage, so that's a good start.

I'll do as the vet recommended on Monday and encourage him to eat as much hay as he can instead of other things. I guess I'll give him a smaller daily salad than he gets now? And less dried forage, although they already don't get much of that. I don't really want to cut down his pellets, though, since he doesn't get that much to begin with and I feel he needs them for nutrients. The only treats they get are a few small grass pellets throughout the day, and a piece of dried cucumber before bed, but maybe I should stop that...? I don't want him to eat only hay, though, as I think it's good for them to get a variety of things.

I think that's pretty sensible. Cucumber is pretty much all water so I can't see it keeping him full for long. I personally wouldn't worry too much about needing nutrition from pellets as hay & forage would provide enough. Did your vet say whether they thought the change in hay could have caused the spur to develop so quickly?

I think that's pretty sensible. Cucumber is pretty much all water so I can't see it keeping him full for long. I personally wouldn't worry too much about needing nutrition from pellets as hay & forage would provide enough. Did your vet say whether they thought the change in hay could have caused the spur to develop so quickly?
Oh, I forgot to ask! I'll send them a message tomorrow. Does hay and forage have enough vitamin D? That's the one I always worry about, since they're indoor bunnies and don't get any direct sunlight, except for Casper's short trips to the balcony. And I know vitamin D is important for their teeth, too.

Oh, I forgot to ask! I'll send them a message tomorrow. Does hay and forage have enough vitamin D? That's the one I always worry about, since they're indoor bunnies and don't get any direct sunlight, except for Casper's short trips to the balcony. And I know vitamin D is important for their teeth, too.

now theres a question ...not one i can confidently answer . You could ask your vet while you're asking about the hay maybe. The reason I don't think nuggets are important is that for 20 odd years I saw Frances Harcourt-Brown as my vet. She was happy to put my (fat) bunny on a hay only diet. She feeds her own bunnies forage, hay & tiny bits of fruit - no nuggets. She always said the best diet is closest to a natural rabbits diet. I know wildies sunbathe so its different but I do think she'd raise it as a concern (her expertise was in rabbit dentistry & digestive stuff...to be fair she was awesome at it all:love:)

I wonder what source the vitamin D in pellets comes from? You've got me wondering & googling now

now theres a question ...not one i can confidently answer . You could ask your vet while you're asking about the hay maybe. The reason I don't think nuggets are important is that for 20 odd years I saw Frances Harcourt-Brown as my vet. She was happy to put my (fat) bunny on a hay only diet. She feeds her own bunnies forage, hay & tiny bits of fruit - no nuggets. She always said the best diet is closest to a natural rabbits diet. I know wildies sunbathe so its different but I do think she'd raise it as a concern (her expertise was in rabbit dentistry & digestive stuff...to be fair she was awesome at it all:love:)

I wonder what source the vitamin D in pellets comes from? You've got me wondering & googling now
Ooh, Frances Harcourt-Brown does sound like someone who would know, yes, so if she thought that was fine and doesn't feed her own bunnies pellets it's very likely okay... I know when I took Sophie to the vet once because she kept gaining weight that they said, too, that I could stop feeding pellets, so I guess my vet thinks that's okay, too... Still, I can't help but worry. I did some research once into vitamin D in hay and apparently it really depended on... something I've forgotten, so it's not guaranteed that there's much vitamin D in it depending on the circumstances.

I'm not sure where the vitamin D in pellets comes from... It's vitamin D3 that's in pellets, or at least in the Science Selective, so it'll probably be some animal source.

Back