• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had a terrible emergency vet appointment for Casper and am angry

I totally understand, sometimes I'm not as assertive as I'd like and only afterwards am I kicking myself about it. It's not easy!

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk
Oooo! Go Casper! [emoji7][emoji7]

Thank you for understanding, Graciee, and for encouraging Casper. :)

He's eaten some more fresh herbs, and then it was time for his Metacam so I gave him a nice amount of syringe feed at the same time, and he's done some poops, so he's doing a bit better. I'll sleep on the couch tonight so I can check on him during the night...

Sorry - just catching up with this thread. I'm really sorry that you had such an awful vetinary experience. When we make that call, we do so not because we want to, but because of necessity. We rely on the supposed consistency and the belief from the professionals that it is their duty beyond all others, to give the maximum care for your pet at that time. Failure to do that is a discharge of duty and is borderline professional neglect. Our pets cannot advocate for themselves - we must undertake that duty on their behalf.
I know how stressfull this whole experience must have been for you - and we must also understand how Casper must have felt too.
I am delighted that he is having some herbs - that is all positive. But you also need to move forward and whilst it is only my own opinion, I would be making a formal complaint to the vetinary practice owner/manager and also the vetinary ombudsman. I'm not sure who that would be but it is my understanding that all vets should have a code of practice and complaints procedure and whilst no one wants to commence such action, it is there in order to investigate such instances as you have experienced. You are paying for a service and you should be given that service.
I hope Casper continues to improve and I hope that perhaps you feel able to push further with a complaint.
Craig xx

Casper just ate some fresh herbs!

Excellent news!

You're right you don't want covid on top of M.E., that's what's happened to me. If you can, rinse your nose out with sterile saline solution (I'm not a doctor, this isn't medical advice but it can stop viruses taking hold). Hopefully your mask will have given you some protection though. Wishing you and Casper lots of good health.

What a terrible consultation:evil:
I understand you feel stressed and angry:(
And poor Casper, I'm glad he is a bit better!
Sending lots of vibes!

Sorry just caught your thread, and sorry also for the traumatic vet visit, but pleased to hear that Casper has started nibbling a bit. Sending loads of vibes for your boy xxx

Sorry, I’ve not been around so I missed all this. It sounds awful all round :cry: I hope Casper is doing better now, sending lots of vibes xx

I would write to the practice manager to complain about the vet not being competent and the COVID breaches too.

Thank you all for your very kind replies, and the vibes and the hoping. I honestly really appreciate it. :love: I'm sorry I'm too tired to reply to all of your messages. Casper's doing pretty much the same as last night. He'll eat fresh herbs, and he's eaten some dried forage as well, and some pellets, but he's clearly not feeling well, and not eating normally. Each time I woke up throughout the night I gave him some fresh herbs, and he was eating from the bowl of forage I had left for him, too, so he's been eating, and this morning I syringe fed him. We have an appointment at my own vet early this afternoon, so I'll keep you all updated. I don't know how I'll manage that, becaue I'm sore and very exhausted from yesterday's vet visit, but I'll try to rest until then. One thing I noticed when I was syringe feeding Casper earlier was that he kept making snorting noises, like his nose wasn't entirely clear, so I'll mention that to the vet.

I've looked into complaining about the vet, but he owns his own practice, so I'm not sure how useful it would be to complain to him. I haven't found out yet who I should tell about the no-mask thing, but I did find out where I can complain about the poor treatment, and it's a long and involved process and, sadly, I just don't have the energy for that...

Excellent news!

You're right you don't want covid on top of M.E., that's what's happened to me. If you can, rinse your nose out with sterile saline solution (I'm not a doctor, this isn't medical advice but it can stop viruses taking hold). Hopefully your mask will have given you some protection though. Wishing you and Casper lots of good health.
Oh, no, I'm so sorry you got covid on top of your ME! That must've been awful... How are you doing now? Thank you for the advice about the saline solution. I looked up how to make that and I did that, since it didn't seem like it could hurt and might help. It was very gross, haha. Thank you for your wishes for Casper and me. :love:

I’m glad Casper is eating, even if it’s not as much as normal. You must be exhausted with it all :cry: sending lots of vibes for you both, I hope you can get some rest. I’m glad you can see the usual vet today, I hope it goes well :wave:

Thank you all for your very kind replies, and the vibes and the hoping. I honestly really appreciate it. :love: I'm sorry I'm too tired to reply to all of your messages. Casper's doing pretty much the same as last night. He'll eat fresh herbs, and he's eaten some dried forage as well, and some pellets, but he's clearly not feeling well, and not eating normally. Each time I woke up throughout the night I gave him some fresh herbs, and he was eating from the bowl of forage I had left for him, too, so he's been eating, and this morning I syringe fed him. We have an appointment at my own vet early this afternoon, so I'll keep you all updated. I don't know how I'll manage that, becaue I'm sore and very exhausted from yesterday's vet visit, but I'll try to rest until then. One thing I noticed when I was syringe feeding Casper earlier was that he kept making snorting noises, like his nose wasn't entirely clear, so I'll mention that to the vet.

I've looked into complaining about the vet, but he owns his own practice, so I'm not sure how useful it would be to complain to him. I haven't found out yet who I should tell about the no-mask thing, but I did find out where I can complain about the poor treatment, and it's a long and involved process and, sadly, I just don't have the energy for that...

Oh, no, I'm so sorry you got covid on top of your ME! That must've been awful... How are you doing now? Thank you for the advice about the saline solution. I looked up how to make that and I did that, since it didn't seem like it could hurt and might help. It was very gross, haha. Thank you for your wishes for Casper and me. :love:

Hopefully the Vet you see today will give Casper a much more thorough examination, including checking his teeth. I understand about having no energy to go down the Complaints route, use what strength you have to focus on Casper. Make sure you look after yourself too

Hopefully the Vet you see today will give Casper a much more thorough examination, including checking his teeth. I understand about having no energy to go down the Complaints route, use what strength you have to focus on Casper. Make sure you look after yourself too

Absolutely this :thumb: Focus on Casper and yourself.

Thank you for your kindness, Zoobec, IM, and Omi. :love: I realised I'm feeling too unwell and exhausted to go to the vet, so my dad is taking Casper (and Sophie) there and the vet will call me to discuss. I gave my dad a note with all the information my vet might need, too, about how Casper has been doing, so I won't forget something.

Thank you for your kindness, Zoobec, IM, and Omi. :love: I realised I'm feeling too unwell and exhausted to go to the vet, so my dad is taking Casper (and Sophie) there and the vet will call me to discuss. I gave my dad a note with all the information my vet might need, too, about how Casper has been doing, so I won't forget something.
I’m sorry you are feeling so poorly, so I’m glad your dad can take them to the vets for you. It sounds like a good solution. Fingers crossed it goes well:thumb:

That's nice your dad is helping out. I hope Casper gets on well at this appointment with your trusted vet. Take care of yourself - I hope you're feeling less exhausted soon

I´m sorry you are unwell :( Good to have such a kind dad :love:
I´m glad Casper will get a proper examination hand help!
Lots of vibes for you both.

Lots of vibes for today, take it easy, it's great your dad can take them xx

Hurrah for helpful Dads :D It sounds as though there is a good plan in place for Casper and I hope he gets on well at the vets.

Back