• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had a terrible emergency vet appointment for Casper and am angry

Thank you all. :love: Sadly, he's back to not eating much... He's clearly hungry and runs over quite happily when I offer him food, but most of the time he won't actually eat it. :( He's taking his syringe feed well, though, so that's at least not a problem.

I see he has root elongation. Do you have metacam? Brko has that problem too and he is often on metecam as it helps him a lot to feel better and eat hay. And even with that he still eats doft hay (Orchard, mountain hay). No timothy hay at all (well I can't even get third or second cut around here). It is a roller coaster with him. Ups and downs, like with yours. But it can as well be some abscess or loose teeth? Have you noticed that he is chewing more to one side?

I see he has root elongation. Do you have metacam? Brko has that problem too and he is often on metecam as it helps him a lot to feel better and eat hay. And even with that he still eats doft hay (Orchard, mountain hay). No timothy hay at all (well I can't even get third or second cut around here). It is a roller coaster with him. Ups and downs, like with yours. But it can as well be some abscess or loose teeth? Have you noticed that he is chewing more to one side?
Yes, Casper gets Metacam every day. Normally he eats hay just fine, only when his teeth are bothering him he doesn't. I'm glad the Metacam helps Brko a lot; that's great, even if he can only eat soft hay. :) I don't think Casper has an abscess or loose teeth since he had a dental and a skull x-ray a few weeks ago and I'm guessing they would've seen any loose teeth or abscesses then? I haven't noticed he is chewing more to one side, but I will keep an eye on it.

Thank you for the vibes, Zoobec and Walli. I really appreciate it. :love:

He has his dental tomorrow morning. I'm very nervous, but I hope it'll help him enough to start eating well again.

Hopefully you'll be feeling a whole lot better this time tomorrow. It only seems like yesterday when he was bullying Sophie & going in for his last dental. I really hope the proceedure goes well, he recovers beautifully & you get to have a reassuring talk with your vet too

Hopefully you'll be feeling a whole lot better this time tomorrow. It only seems like yesterday when he was bullying Sophie & going in for his last dental. I really hope the proceedure goes well, he recovers beautifully & you get to have a reassuring talk with your vet too

This :love:

Sending lots of vibes for Casper's dental tomorrow. I hope it goes really well and that he recovers speedily.

Good morning Casper! Lots of RU love & vibes coming your way to help with your dental this morning

Aww, that's really sweet. Thank you, j&b, Zoobec, and Omi. :love: My dad dropped Casper and Sophie off at the vets this morning. I'm still feeling too exhausted and unwell to go with them, but I stuck a note on their carrier saying everything I wanted the vet to know. My dad said they can be picked up at the end of the afternoon, so it'll be a quiet day without them around.

Back