• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had a terrible emergency vet appointment for Casper and am angry

Aw, thank you all, really. :love: He is doing okay this morning. He's been eating quite a bit of hay! :love: And he's been eating some fresh herbs and stuff as well. Whenever I put some food in front of him to encourage him to eat, though, Sophie keeps eating it before he can. :|:lol:

Aw, thank you all, really. :love: He is doing okay this morning. He's been eating quite a bit of hay! :love: And he's been eating some fresh herbs and stuff as well. Whenever I put some food in front of him to encourage him to eat, though, Sophie keeps eating it before he can. :|:lol:

I have to sneak feed one of my Rabbits who needs to keep weight on, his wife would pig all the food given half a chance. I hope Casper continues to do well :)

Well done Casper :love: and well done you for nursing him through it again :love: I hope he carries on doing well.

Glad he's doing well.x
Thank you, too. :love:

I contacted the vets about the hay thing, and they said that it shouldn't matter which hay they get, but that it's possble that they ate more of their old, softer hay, and that the most important thing is that they eat as much hay as possible. They actually ate more of their new hay, though, so that's odd, isn't it? Maybe it has nothing to do with the hay after all and it's just that something changed about his teeth, even though the x-ray showed no changes... Still, I'll keep encouraging him to eat a lot of hay.

Aww, Sophie...I always feel guilty sneaking necessary extras to one bunny, I always worry the well bunny will wonder why they don't deserve so many treats.

A really pleasing update about Casper :love:

Aww, Sophie...I always feel guilty sneaking necessary extras to one bunny, I always worry the well bunny will wonder why they don't deserve so many treats.

A really pleasing update about Casper :love:
I do, too. I don't want Sophie to feel neglected. On the other hand, she shouldn't gain any more weight, so she shouldn't be getting as many extras as Casper, so I try to give Casper his food without her noticing, but she's too smart. :lol:

Thank you. :love:

I do, too. I don't want Sophie to feel neglected. On the other hand, she shouldn't gain any more weight, so she shouldn't be getting as many extras as Casper, so I try to give Casper his food without her noticing, but she's too smart. :lol:

Thank you. :love:

I used to find this with Tui, when I was trying to feed Tethra extra without her knowledge. I found that she was capable of smelling the food long before she could see it (she has poor vision anyway). Also it's the very tiny noises that they associate with food.

its when well bunny approaches extra treats bunny to smell their breathe for evidence that makes me laugh:

its when well bunny approaches extra treats bunny to smell their breathe for evidence that makes me laugh:

I've have also had well bunnies, who have licked inside medicated-with-Metacam bunny's mouths for the remaining traces :lol:

I try to give the well-bunny something that appears better to keep them busy, while poorly-bunny gets the proper extras. Snuffle mats work well, I just stick well-bunny behind a fence or something and give them a snuffle mat with tiny bits of good stuff hidden in which takes a while to find and eat, so that the other one can eat freely and undisturbed :)

I used to find this with Tui, when I was trying to feed Tethra extra without her knowledge. I found that she was capable of smelling the food long before she could see it (she has poor vision anyway). Also it's the very tiny noises that they associate with food.
Aw, Tui knew when you were trying to sneak Tethra some extra food. Bunnies don't miss much when it comes to food, do they? ;)

I've never seen that. That's so funny. :lol:

I've have also had well bunnies, who have licked inside medicated-with-Metacam bunny's mouths for the remaining traces :lol:
Wow, I don't think you can get more greedy than that. :lol:

I try to give the well-bunny something that appears better to keep them busy, while poorly-bunny gets the proper extras. Snuffle mats work well, I just stick well-bunny behind a fence or something and give them a snuffle mat with tiny bits of good stuff hidden in which takes a while to find and eat, so that the other one can eat freely and undisturbed :)
Oh, that's a good idea. I gave Sophie her food ball this morning while I gave Casper some extras, and that worked. I just can't distract her with food all the time because then she'll still end up eating more than she should and gaining too much weight. Currently she's sleeping, though, so Casper is having some time to eat without her noticing. :lol:

I'm wondering if I should syringe feed Casper again. I stopped since he was eating better on his own, and while he has been eating regularly today, when you all add it up it's not really enough. Syringe feeding stresses him out, though, and I don't want to feed him so much that he won't eat on his own because he's already full. Maybe I'll just feed him half of what I normally give him... He also hasn't been drinking, and has mostly been eating dry foods, so he'll need some water anyway.

Casper has been drinking today, so at least I don't have to worry about him not getting enough fluids anymore. He's also been eating some different greens instead of only herbs. He's still not really eating a lot, though.

I know he’s on metacam anyway, but is he on any gut meds? Sending lots of vibes xx

Back