• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had a terrible emergency vet appointment for Casper and am angry

Thank you, everyone, really, for caring and being so very nice. :love: I really appreciate all of your replies.

They're back home now, and the vet gave Casper a thorough check-up. His guts and stomach are fine, and everything is fine, really, except for his teeth. His last dental was 5 weeks ago, but one of his molars is already growing a big spur. :( (And that awful vet yesterday said that his teeth were fine. :roll:) So, the vet thinks that's what's keeping him from eating well. He has Emeprid now, in addition to his Metacam, and we'll see if he'll start eating better with that, but if he doesn't he'll need another dental, and the vet said that since this spur has come back so quickly he might need very regular dentals in the future, which wouldn't be great at his age. It's odd, though, because before this last dental he hadn't needed one for over a year and a half, so it's strange that it has come back so suddenly now, and I wonder if it's because of the new hay I started giving him after his last dental. Before this they got soft timothy hay and meadow hay and some other hay, but the past couple of weeks they've been eating long, stalky timothy hay and they've been loving it so much that they've barely touched the other hay. I had expected the long, stalky timothy hay to be good for their teeth, but maybe their old hay was better for their teeth and that's why this sput has been able to come back so quickly? :? The vet said to minimise his not-hay food so he'll eat as much hay as he can, so I'll do that, though at the moment he doesn't want to eat hay at all, so I can't do that now, of course...

Thank you, everyone, really, for caring and being so very nice. :love: I really appreciate all of your replies.

They're back home now, and the vet gave Casper a thorough check-up. His guts and stomach are fine, and everything is fine, really, except for his teeth. His last dental was 5 weeks ago, but one of his molars is already growing a big spur. :( (And that awful vet yesterday said that his teeth were fine. :roll:) So, the vet thinks that's what's keeping him from eating well. He has Emeprid now, in addition to his Metacam, and we'll see if he'll start eating better with that, but if he doesn't he'll need another dental, and the vet said that since this spur has come back so quickly he might need very regular dentals in the future, which wouldn't be great at his age. It's odd, though, because before this last dental he hadn't needed one for over a year and a half, so it's strange that it has come back so suddenly now, and I wonder if it's because of the new hay I started giving him after his last dental. Before this they got soft timothy hay and meadow hay and some other hay, but the past couple of weeks they've been eating long, stalky timothy hay and they've been loving it so much that they've barely touched the other hay. I had expected the long, stalky timothy hay to be good for their teeth, but maybe their old hay was better for their teeth and that's why this sput has been able to come back so quickly? :? The vet said to minimise his not-hay food so he'll eat as much hay as he can, so I'll do that, though at the moment he doesn't want to eat hay at all, so I can't do that now, of course...

Bone density changes with age and this can effect the jaws and as a consequence the way the teeth and roots grow. Dental attrition can change too. When he has his next Dental I’d request skull radiographs, the Vet will be able to assess how his tooth roots are growing and this will provide some information about the stage of his dental problems. I hope that his appetite improves with the Emeprid and that you will feel a bit better soon too.

I too am sorry you are not well. Episodes like this can be incredibly draining and it’s good that your father can help. It will give you just a brief pause to recollect your thoughts and a bit of time to calm your mind.
It was good to read that the different vet identified spurs - at least now you have that evidence to move forward and help Casper get better.
Look after yourself and give Casper a gentle nose rub.
Craig xx

Bone density changes with age and this can effect the jaws and as a consequence the way the teeth and roots grow. Dental attrition can change too. When he has his next Dental I’d request skull radiographs, the Vet will be able to assess how his tooth roots are growing and this will provide some information about the stage of his dental problems. I hope that his appetite improves with the Emeprid and that you will feel a bit better soon too.
Ah, I see... I guess that's more likely than it being the hay...? He had a skull x-ray when he had his dental five weeks ago, and nothing had changed compared to the skull x-ray he had before that (the roots are still going through his jaw, but it hadn't gotten worse, at least), but I guess little changes might not show up and could still affect his teeth? Or something has changed in these past 5 weeks... Thank you for hoping his appetite improves, and that I'll feel a bit better soon, too. That's very kind of you. Casper just ate a little hay and did some poops, so things are moving in the right direction. :)

I too am sorry you are not well. Episodes like this can be incredibly draining and it’s good that your father can help. It will give you just a brief pause to recollect your thoughts and a bit of time to calm your mind.
It was good to read that the different vet identified spurs - at least now you have that evidence to move forward and help Casper get better.
Look after yourself and give Casper a gentle nose rub.
Craig xx
Thank you for your kindness, too, Craig. I was very glad and grateful that my dad wanted to help, yes. I'll give Casper a gentle nose rub for you, and I'll try to look after myself, too. :)

I’m glad that the vets have have established the cause, although I’m sorry that he’s likely to need another dental so soon :cry: I hope you are both feeling better soon :love:

Sorry I missed this earlier. Near me emergency vets know little about rabbits and the worst ones get intimidated by experienced bunny parents.

Raven is not on a regular schedule for dentals either, yet he takes so long to recover-especially from last one- that I am reluctant to schedule when he is eating well. Though I know how quickly spurs can form ,especially after they become fussy eaters; so I do need to schedule while he is still eating.
I am glad Casper has improved and your dad took him to your regular vet for a good check and diagnosis.

Even though your emergency vet upset you, I sometimes find it is better for my own well being to not pursue formal complaints when it is my word against theirs unless I am willing to have the complaint dismissed after I spend my time and mental energy filing it.
Ideally call them out as it is happening, yet hard to do when you are between anger, fear and tears-sometimes both.
Today I went to pick up new eyeglasses and reception politely asked me if I had a mask. It was hanging on my wrist where I left it after blowing my nose before entering and sanitizing my hands. I thought it was a nice way to remind me without being nasty or preachy.

I am sending positive vibes for you and Casper.

Very glad to hear you've at least got a likely diagnosis now, even if it could have been better news on the dental.

Big hugs a reader of books xx I dunno if blades of grass have more wearing properties than stalks, but my gut feeeling (educated guess) tells me they would, as grass is high in silicates which is the wearing property, and this is presumably higher in the leaves because it's a larger area. But I really don't think it would be so significant a difference to make one spur worse in such a short space of time.

Thank you, Zoobec, bunny momma, SarahP, and keletkezes. I'm sorry I can't reply to you; I'm too exhausted and unwell. But I really appreciate your caring. Thank you. :love:

I wanted to give an update, though: Casper's not doing any worse, but he's not doing any better, either. I don't see any improvement whatsoever, really, so I think he might not start eating better until he has had his dental. :(

Thank you, Zoobec, bunny momma, SarahP, and keletkezes. I'm sorry I can't reply to you; I'm too exhausted and unwell. But I really appreciate your caring. Thank you. :love:

I wanted to give an update, though: Casper's not doing any worse, but he's not doing any better, either. I don't see any improvement whatsoever, really, so I think he might not start eating better until he has had his dental. :(

Take care of yourself and, while it may be difficult, try to get some rest. As long as he is still eating, drinking, weeing, and pooping stable is good enough for now.
Jane gave you good advice to have vet do skull radiographs while he is sedated for his dental. Sending you both more positive vibes.

You may be right. If he has elongated tooth roots these can become a lot more painful if the crowns of the teeth become too long. I hope you will both be feeling better soon x

I'm sorry to read yesterdays update & can understand you may have fears on how Casper will cope with very regular dentals as time goes on. Please try to bare in mind this is not inevitable & our beautiful bunnies surprise us all the time. If his xrays at his last dental showed no change then maybe it is the hay - maybe stalkier hays aren't as good as fine hay as they have to eat fewer strands? I'd say that's possible & its always useful to look back on whats changed. I'd discuss both with your vet & see what their thoughts are on xrays & diet. Lots of vibes for your little wee treasure :love: I hope you're coping ok

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and vibes and caring and everything. :love: It helps to not be alone with my worries, to know you all understand what it's like to worry about these precious bunnies of ours.

I think I'll switch them back to their old hay and see if that'll make a difference, maybe. And, yes, j&b, I'll ask the vet what their thoughts are, too.

I contacted the vets this afternoon and they said they'll ask the vet when they can schedule a dental for him.

Sending lots of hugs your way and hoping Casper is back to his normal self soon xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big hugs a reader of books xx I dunno if blades of grass have more wearing properties than stalks, but my gut feeeling (educated guess) tells me they would, as grass is high in silicates which is the wearing property, and this is presumably higher in the leaves because it's a larger area. But I really don't think it would be so significant a difference to make one spur worse in such a short space of time.

I'm also thinking that grass leaves are probably of greater value than stalks in wearing down teeth. Although like keletkezes I'm not sure it would make a lot of difference in a short space of time. Certainly worth having a chat with your vet about it to see if he has an opinion, especially as you have recently changed their hay.

I hope that they can find a slot to perform Casper's dental soon. And I hope that you feel a lot better soon too.

Thank you, too, nap91 and Omi. :love:

I'll discuss the hay thing with the vet, yes. I don't know if it could make such a big difference in only 5 weeks, either, but I agree it's worth looking into.

Casper had some fresh herbs a few minutes ago and is eating some hay right now. :love:

Back