• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had a terrible emergency vet appointment for Casper and am angry

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
Casper wasn't eating this afternoon, and normally, with it being the weekend and my own vets being closed this weekend, I would've given him the gut meds that my vet lets me have for when he's having one of his not-eating episodes in the weekends, but I've run out, so I had to take him to the vet. Unfortunately, the vet on weekend duty this weekend is one I've seen before a few years ago, and wasn't exactly pleased about. But, you know, Casper needed meds, so off we went, and, oh my god, I might as well not have bothered. The vet asked if Casper has had problems eating before, so I told him about Casper's trouble with his teeth, so the vet checked his teeth and said he didn't see anything weird. Then he weighed Casper, and then he ran his hands over him and checked his nails :)roll:) and that was it. That was the examination. He didn't even listen to his guts, or ask if he was still pooping, or anything. He just said he was going to give him an injection for his guts (melo...something...motyl?), so he did, but he wouldn't give me any gut medication to take home with me, because he never does that, he said. So, I asked for how long the injection would work, and he said it would work for about 12 hours, so I asked what I was supposed to do after that, and he shrugged and said, "Well, hopefully he's eating again by then." How useless can you be! If we could make bunnies feel better by hoping I wouldn't have taken him to a vet!

As a bonus, the vet and his assistant were freaking anti-maskers. There were signs in the waiting room and on the doors, saying you have to disinfect your hands and keep your distance for other clients and from the vet, and to let the assistant handle the animal, and... 1. they're not even wearing masks, 2. the assistant was sitting on a chair working on the computer and the vet kept telling me to come closer so I could hold Casper, so how, exactly, am I supposed to keep my distance??, 3. I couldn't keep my distance from the assistant, either, because she was sitting really closely to the examination table and next to the PIN machine, and 4. the vet kept sniffing. And I'm really ****** off, because I've been so, so careful for months now, because the last thing I need is COVID on top of my ME, and here these people aren't even following their own rules or the goverment's rules.

The vet wasn't exactly friendly, either.

Casper still isn't eating, so I'll go have dinner and let him recover from the vet visit and then I'll syringe feed him.

Oh dear, that vet doesn't sound much good. No wonder you are stressed.

Do you have any peppermint tea to syringe in? I used to find that really helpful back when I had bunny stasis nightmares.

So no pain relief either. What a woefully inadequate consultation.

Here in the U.K. you could report the Vet to the RCVS re non compliance with Covid Security. Not sure if a similar thing is possible where you are ?

Has Casper passed poo ?

I'm so sorry, that sounds so stressful :( I really hope that Casper will start to eat again soon. I think he normally has Metacam each day doesn't he? Are his teeth normally the reason for him to stop eating? I agree that syringe-feeding would be a good idea.

If your normal vet is on duty tomorrow and Casper is still not eating properly, I think I would take him back and explain what has happened. It's really dreadful that you should have to do this though. Plus the Covid issues :(

Sending loads of vibes for Casper and I hope you can relax a little this evening.

Oh that sounds like an utterly horrid and stressful time. I do hope you can report the vet for Covid breach, but more than anything I am sending vibes for Casper.

That sounds awful :( is there an out of hours vet/different one you could take him to?

I've had to go to rubbish vets before and honestly I go in and just tell them what medication I want [emoji51] they've always decided just to give me it [emoji51][emoji38] probably think it's more trouble than it's worth [emoji38] not great but when I have to deal with people like that, especially when it's with Atticus I don't hold back [emoji38]

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Oh dear, that vet doesn't sound much good. No wonder you are stressed.

Do you have any peppermint tea to syringe in? I used to find that really helpful back when I had bunny stasis nightmares.
Oh, I do have some peppermint tea, yes. I'll see if he likes that more than regular water when I syringe feed him later.

So no pain relief either. What a woefully inadequate consultation.

Here in the U.K. you could report the Vet to the RCVS re non compliance with Covid Security. Not sure if a similar thing is possible where you are ?

Has Casper passed poo ?
Well, thankfully he has his daily Metacam, so I didn't need to vet to give him anything against pain.

Oh, I'm not sure if I could report them somewhere. I'll look into that.

He has passed poo, yes. I gave him his weekly check-up this afternoon and he did some poos while I was brushing him. That's when I noticed he wasn't feeling well, because he kept lying down and didn't want any of the treats he normally gets during his check-up and brushing.

Oh no, doesn't sound good at all :( Hope Casper starts eating really soon
Thank you for hoping, really.

I'm so sorry, that sounds so stressful :( I really hope that Casper will start to eat again soon. I think he normally has Metacam each day doesn't he? Are his teeth normally the reason for him to stop eating? I agree that syringe-feeding would be a good idea.

If your normal vet is on duty tomorrow and Casper is still not eating properly, I think I would take him back and explain what has happened. It's really dreadful that you should have to do this though. Plus the Covid issues :(

Sending loads of vibes for Casper and I hope you can relax a little this evening.
Aw, thank you, Omi. He does have Metacam each day, yes. Usually it's his teeth that make him stop eating, yeah, but sometimes he does it when he's swallowed too much hair, too, and I noticed today that Sophie is moulting pretty badly, so it could be that as well.

If he's still feeling unwell tomorrow I'll take him to my usual vet, yeah. I wish they'd been on duty this weekend. The vet practices around here take turns each weekend, and unfortunately that means that a lot of weekends you get a vet who isn't very good with rabbits. :(

Oh that sounds like an utterly horrid and stressful time. I do hope you can report the vet for Covid breach, but more than anything I am sending vibes for Casper.
Yeah, it wasn't fun. :( Thank you for the vibes, C&D.

That sounds awful :( is there an out of hours vet/different one you could take him to?

I've had to go to rubbish vets before and honestly I go in and just tell them what medication I want [emoji51] they've always decided just to give me it [emoji51][emoji38] probably think it's more trouble than it's worth [emoji38] not great but when I have to deal with people like that, especially when it's with Atticus I don't hold back [emoji38]

No, this is the only vet around who is open this weekend. :(

I've done that in past, too, with useless vets, just tell them what medication I want, and in the past that has worked, but this one didn't want to give me any. I probably should've been more insistent, but what with my social anxiety disorder and everything I'm not the most assertive person. :(

Thats sounds awful from start to finish. The vets inappropriate examination, the cr@ppy treatment (or lack of) & attitude on top of it :(
It fits that he's not worried about protecting others from covid - obviously one great big selfish don't care bear :(
A million vibes for lovely Casper & you

Ooh that sounds positive!

With the peppermint tea, I used to find that the bunnies hated it, but it really helped sort out their guts alongside all the usual medications. I used to give it daily too, to try to keep things ticking over!

Thats sounds awful from start to finish. The vets inappropriate examination, the cr@ppy treatment (or lack of) & attitude on top of it :(
It fits that he's not worried about protecting others from covid - obviously one great big selfish don't care bear :(
A million vibes for lovely Casper & you
clever boy - he's probably keen to avoid the vet again after that experience. I hope he continues to eat
Thank you, j&b. I really appreciate the vibes and your hoping. The vet was definitely a great big selfish don't care bear.

Ooh that sounds positive!

With the peppermint tea, I used to find that the bunnies hated it, but it really helped sort out their guts alongside all the usual medications. I used to give it daily too, to try to keep things ticking over!
Oh, I see! That's too bad that the bunnies hated it. If you found it helpful, though, it's worth a try. Thank you for the suggestion.:)

Good lad :love: He probably thinks that's better than having to go back to that vet again :) I hope he now starts to eat more.
I wouldn't blame him! Thank you for hoping he'll start to eat more.

Glad he is a bit better.

Bl**dy useless inconsiderate vet ...
Thank you, tulsi.

Yeah, it wasn't fun. :( Thank you for the vibes, C&D.

No, this is the only vet around who is open this weekend. :(

I've done that in past, too, with useless vets, just tell them what medication I want, and in the past that has worked, but this one didn't want to give me any. I probably should've been more insistent, but what with my social anxiety disorder and everything I'm not the most assertive person. :(
I totally understand, sometimes I'm not as assertive as I'd like and only afterwards am I kicking myself about it. It's not easy!

Back