• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice? Is this normal?

Km1296

Young Bun
I've started laying down some training mats as my 5 month old bunny, Bella, has been peeing around the livingroom (I'm hoping this calms down once she's spayed which is booked in this coming friday). However, I've noticed that on an area that she's pee'd, the initial pee is orangey brownish however there's 2 drops of brownish red there too: one in the pee stain and one outside it (this is the first time I've noticed it). I checked her but ther was no sign of any active bleeding for any of her orifices however i noticed she has worms in her anus and some brownish staining around it (she has been producing some excess cecotropes so i imagine thats whats caused the brownish excess around the anus?). I looked online which said that pinworms aren't of a major concern for rabbits. Should i be worried or could it be excess pee of a darker pigment ?

Last edited:
Pinworms are very small and rarely seen,unless your bunny has a heavy infestation which should be treated. They will be uncomfortable for her too.
The brownish red drops would concern me and you should get her vet checked asap.

Last edited:
The urine colour spectrum in rabbits is quite diverse, pigments in plants etc can have quite an effect. I don't like the sound of brownish - reddish spots at all tbh although I have known my bunnies leave a v occassional inky brown stain when a ceco has hit the floor rather than be eaten direct from source. . Worms are normal but I'm sure your bunnies worm count will require treatment. My best advice is consult your vet & get these issues checked over & worm treatment initiated. I expect delaying the spay might be good advice although I don't think it'd be for more than a couple of weeks.

Photos of the offending wee sample would be good

This is it here, i finally managed to figure out how to do it.

e6b92fe3-6572-4917-93e1-193ad9aaa944

Last edited:
When i checked if she was bleeding i also wiped her anus when i seen the worms and this is what was on the tissue.

9ec936e8-45de-4aa0-8d3d-a0236df717ea

Last edited:
No photos are displayed

Please get a Vet to examine your Rabbit. It is always best to catch any potential health problem quickly.

Back