• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP - bunny making a crackling noise while breathing?

Beauyeah

New Kit
I’ve had my boy kuzco for almost three years, and he’s never done this!

When I picked him up to bring him in (which he doesn’t mind at all) I could hear him breathing. It sounded like a crackly sound, as though he needed to cough, and I noticed that his nose was a bit runny. Other than that, he’s drinking fine, is quite alert and not showing any signs of pain other than a reluctance to move. Any ideas?

Sounds like he has symptoms of a respiratory tract infection. He needs to be examined by a Vet ASAP, even if he seems OK within himself at the moment. The sooner RTIs are treated the better the prognosis. Good luck

Vets don’t open until Monday, and I can’t afford emergency appointments because they’re not covered in my insurance. Do you think he’ll be okay til Monday?

As prey animals bunnies hide their pain. If he is reluctant to move, that suggests he may have discomfort. The vet could determine if upper respiratory issue or lower respiratory issue like pneumonia.

Vets don’t open until Monday, and I can’t afford emergency appointments because they’re not covered in my insurance. Do you think he’ll be okay til Monday?

I would call the Emergency Vet for telephone advice. Without examining your Rabbit it is impossible to say if the problem can wait til tomorrow or not. If it is a Respiratory Tract infection these can progress quickly.

It isn't good to bring a Rabbit indoors in the cold weather then put him back outside. It can upset their respiratory system as they are not like dogs or cats. He will need a course of anti-biotics to hopefully clear the infection. Snuffles, if this is what it is, needs to be got on top of asap. Can you keep him indoors now until the weather warms up?

I would contact a vet ASAP. Rabbits are prey animals and hide their symptoms. A rabbit that seems ill is in need of veterinary attention as a matter of urgency. Please, at least phone and ask for advice.

Is he still eating and pooing? If he has stopped eating, that in itself is an emergency as the guts will go into stasis. His eating may also be reduced due to difficulty breathing.

Sounds like he has symptoms of a respiratory tract infection. He needs to be examined by a Vet ASAP, even if he seems OK within himself at the moment. The sooner RTIs are treated the better the prognosis. Good luck

All his symptoms are gone? I woke up today and he’s absolutely fine! No breathing problems, he’s running around like normal, and he’s eating and drinking as normal? Any ideas?

All his symptoms are gone? I woke up today and he’s absolutely fine! No breathing problems, he’s running around like normal, and he’s eating and drinking as normal? Any ideas?

Impossible to say. Check the fur on the inner sides of his front paws. If the fur is damp or sticky it is indicative of him wiping his nose a lot. This would point to an URTI. The best way to put your mind at rest is to get him examined by a Vet :)

I would still get him examined by a vet who may want to start antibiotics or anti-inflamatory med if he is not fully recovered.

Back