• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male neutered - gone slightly bonkers.

Hello,
My male rabbit has just been neutered. I brought him in the house for 2 days to keep him warm and kept his partner with him in seperate cages so they could remain bonded. He is usually humpy with her if I let them out together (hence the neutering.) He is also gentle in nature but also a bit of a nutter. He circles and runs really fast. Day one he was really dopey and tired. Day 2 oh my goodness, he was stamping his foot so much. (He had his pain meds.) He was circling her cage and honking. So circling and honking I understand, he wants to be intimate with her. Stamping foot too? He was also scrabbling at her cage and biting it really hard. Was he just super (forgive me) frisky or now unbonded and angry with her. He was very firey. Any ideas?

After neutering there is a massive hormone surge, in very basic terms the pituitary gland goes into overdrive, this will settle over the next 6-8 weeks :)

ETA if your Doe is not spayed you must keep your male separate from her for 6-8 weeks as he can remain fertile during this time.

Last edited:
I replied to your other post :)

After neutering there is a massive hormone surge, in very basic terms the pituitary gland goes into overdrive, this will settle over the next 6-8 weeks :)

ETA if your Doe is not spayed you must keep your male separate from her for 6-8 weeks as he can remain fertile during this time.

Last edited:
I would keep them separate, far away from each other, until he calms down. If he was living with an unspayed Doe it is highly likely she will be pregnant. After a month or so they should bond again fairly easily, in a neutral space.

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave: I’ve merged the 2 threads as you have replies on both, as we don’t allow duplicate threads.

Hopefully he will calm down soon!

Back