• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nobivac Myxo-RHD PLUS

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Have everyone's bunnies gone over onto this now?

Did you do it willingly or have any reservations?

I had a batch of bunnies done with it earlier this week - they were all due the myxomatosis/RHD1 jab, they are a few months off being 'due' for Filovac.

I now have 12 bunnies due RHD2 protection mid-March and got the first 4 booked in on Monday. Having weighed up all the pros and cons, I have gone for the Nobivac Myxo-RHD PLUS... So just wondering how everyone else (or their vets!) are going with the decision.
(There's a little voice in the back of my mind tempting me to give then Filavac as well but there's no scientific evidence to support the need for it...)

As long as the Myxo RHD Plus is given BEFORE RHD2 cover from previous vaccination expires it is fine to give just the M RHD Plus. But if the Rabbits’ previous RHD2 cover was over 12 months ago (I go for over 11 months ago) Filavac should be given first, the MRHD Plus two weeks later. Hope that makes sense.

As long as the Myxo RHD Plus is given BEFORE RHD2 cover from previous vaccination expires it is fine to give just the M RHD Plus. But if the Rabbits’ previous RHD2 cover was over 12 months ago (I go for over 11 months ago) Filavac should be given first, the MRHD Plus two weeks later. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks. I know the protocol, I'm just wondering if everyone else is going over to the new vaccine and not worrying about RHD2 as I am. It's probably irrational so I'm just looking for reassurance really. ... having said that, my 12 rabbits are into the 11-12 month zone now.

All 3 of mine had it at various points last year and I was happy for the switch, they had no problems :)

Thanks. I know the protocol, I'm just wondering if everyone else is going over to the new vaccine and not worrying about RHD2 as I am. It's probably irrational so I'm just looking for reassurance really. ... having said that, my 12 rabbits are into the 11-12 month zone now.

Personally I would go with just the M RHD plus and get them done ASAP ie being in the 11month zone or just after.

I would have to check Bella's card. But Bing would be overdue both vaccines. This is why I'm confused, weren't the two vaccines being combined ?

I would have to check Bella's card. But Bing would be overdue both vaccines. This is why I'm confused, weren't the two vaccines being combined ?

yes, they are being combined. Unfortunately the way the vaccines work means that you need an up to date RHD2 vaccine before giving the new one... or a rabbit that has never been vaccinated for RHD2. An out of date RHD2 vaccination causes 'vector interference'

Basically it's a myxomatosis vaccine with RHD1 and 2 tagged onto it. This means that in certain circumstances the myxomatosis part of the vaccine only is effective. The section below is a cut and paste of an explanation of how it works:

Nobivac Myxo-RHD and Nobivac Myxo-RHD Plus use a myxomavirus as vector (or carrier) for genetic material from the RHDV2. Booster immunity occurs more quickly than initial immunity so if the rabbit has no immunity to RHDV2 but has immunity to myxomatosis the immune system gobbles up the vector virus and the genetic material from RHDV2 before the rabbit can develop immunity to RHDV2 i.e. vector interference. If the rabbit already has immunity against RHDV2 from vaccination (i.e Filavac or Eravac) then that immunity should be boosted by the genetic material within the vector virus.

So Bing would need a RHD2 one first then wait a few weeks then the combination that already has the RHD2 in it, is that right ?

So Bing would need a RHD2 one first then wait a few weeks then the combination that already has the RHD2 in it, is that right ?

Yes. Either that or in that situation my preference would be to go for RHD2 jab and the 'old' Nobivac myxo-RHD vaccine that doesn't have RHD2 added on, if you can get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, they are being combined. Unfortunately the way the vaccines work means that you need an up to date RHD2 vaccine before giving the new one... or a rabbit that has never been vaccinated for RHD2. An out of date RHD2 vaccination causes 'vector interference'

Basically it's a myxomatosis vaccine with RHD1 and 2 tagged onto it. This means that in certain circumstances the myxomatosis part of the vaccine only is effective. The section below is a cut and paste of an explanation of how it works:

Nobivac Myxo-RHD and Nobivac Myxo-RHD Plus use a myxomavirus as vector (or carrier) for genetic material from the RHDV2. Booster immunity occurs more quickly than initial immunity so if the rabbit has no immunity to RHDV2 but has immunity to myxomatosis the immune system gobbles up the vector virus and the genetic material from RHDV2 before the rabbit can develop immunity to RHDV2 i.e. vector interference. If the rabbit already has immunity against RHDV2 from vaccination (i.e Filavac or Eravac) then that immunity should be boosted by the genetic material within the vector virus.
Wait I didn't know this! I just had mine all done with the triple one, when their vax were due :S so are mine not covered for rhd2 now?

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Wait I didn't know this! I just had mine all done with the triple one, when their vax were due :S so are mine not covered for rhd2 now?

They will if they'd previously had an RHD2 vaccine :) you can switch straight over then if up to date with RHD2

They will if they'd previously had an RHD2 vaccine :) you can switch straight over then if up to date with RHD2
They've all previously had an rhd2 vax before, but the white buns were due both vax 2 weeks apart last summer but just had the single new vax.. So there was a few weeks left til the year mark for the rhd2 vax.. But it was technically due soon.. When they had the triple.. I'm really confused now! I think Atticus and Clementine still had 6 months before their next rhd2 vax was due when they had their triple done..

They've all previously had an rhd2 vax before, but the white buns were due both vax 2 weeks apart last summer but just had the single new vax.. So there was a few weeks left til the year mark for the rhd2 vax.. But it was technically due soon.. When they had the triple.. I'm really confused now! I think Atticus and Clementine still had 6 months before their next rhd2 vax was due when they had their triple done..

As long as the RHD2 cover isn't out of date the new vaccine is fine.

As long as the RHD2 cover isn't out of date the new vaccine is fine.
Ah okay

So just so I understand, if I was to go pick up a 10 week old bun, who's never been vaccinated before, just giving them the triple vax wouldn't fully protect them?

Ah okay

So just so I understand, if I was to go pick up a 10 week old bun, who's never been vaccinated before, just giving them the triple vax wouldn't fully protect them?

It should be fully protected. It's only rabbits that have previously been vaccinated for RHD2 and it's out of date where there is a problem.

There's lots of explanation on Frances Harcourt-Brown's website (charts etc). Don't know how to link to it on my phone.

Back