• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back at the vets (Update 24th March)

Sending more vibes for the king of gloss, Philip. I hope the results from the blood tests will give some indication of what’s happening.
And Philip will forgive you - a nommy treat usually wins their hearts. Xx

Back at the vets

Just rung the vets as hadn’t heard back yet and they’ve not got the EC result back yet, but the other bloods are in. All in normal range except glucose was high which the pathology report said could’ve been down to stress. Obviously will discuss with the vet when all results are in but that sounds positive I think?

Although still means we don’t know why he’s leaking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Although no answers is frustrating I'm SO pleased Phillip's bloods are fine. I remember FHB saying stress elevates glucose

Thanks J&B, I’m so pleased the bloods were normal. It’s been quite a worry this past week.

Maybe he has an incompetent urethral sphincter :?

I’ll mention that to the vet when I’m next in.

I think the bit I find the strangest is that it’s not constant. So very rarely during the day does it happen, and he can also go for long periods of time with it being normal. So until the most recent investigations it hadn’t happened since last summer. Last night was the first night for a week that he leaked and drank excessively. Drinking and urinating had been normal from Monday - Saturday. Nothing has changed and his diet is the same. Perhaps I’m wrong but I’d expect an incontinent rabbit to be so most of the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry that it's still a mystery for Philip. On the positive the blood tests ruled out anything obvious so that's a good sign.
Sending more vibes for the glossy handsome hunk Philip. xx

Isn't there something bunnies can eat that might cause bouts of excessive drinking? I think I read that somewhere or it was my experience that when I fed things like dandelion or carrot tops this would be the result. And if Phillip has a leaky sphincter as Jane suggested the mere weight of a full bladder could set it off. :?

Glad to hear his bloods came back okay, although now the mystery deepens. Really hope something can be done to help him. xxxxx

Update 24th March

Little Phillip update.

So the EC result finally came back at the weekend and it's come back positive. It had always been suspected but good to get definite confirmation. The vet was going to call me this week to discuss but I managed to speak to him in person tonight as I was at the vets this evening with Britney as she has a bald patch (they really like to keep me on my toes!) The vet said that the EC is almost definitely causing the symptoms so Phillip will now be treated every 3/4 months with a course of Panacur. He also said he was shocked all the bloods were so normal as he really suspected that Phillip had kidney damage, and although blood test results wouldn't show early signs of damage, it's definitely a good sign that they're not showing as abnormal at the moment, since he thought they would. We will repeat blood tests, probably every 6 months, to monitor the levels and the vet is going to do some more research if there's anything else we can do kidney wise for him and update me when we go back for bloods. So I'm feeling pleased as I think the outcome seems to be fairly positive compared to what it could've been :D

Phew what an update, I cant credit that beautiful Philip has had all his bloods come back normal (ish) hopefully now he can get on his treatment and be a healthier boy x

Thank you :) He's been on panacur every time he shows symptoms anyway so the vet said he'll probably still show symptoms from time to time as he has been, but hopefully the regular dose will stop it getting any worse which is the main thing

That's really good news, knowing what it is must be a big relief, sending lots of vibes for Philip xx

I'm pleased that you now have a reason and hope that the frequent Panacur will stabilise Phillip.

It is good that you now know what is the likely cause of Phillips piddle problem. Sending lots of vibes that the regular Panacur will keep this under control or perhaps even result in a full cure. Hugs for your beautiful boy.

Back