• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Walter the ham

I think he must be cute! [emoji38] Can he have a friend or not? I love the maze! Last q - do you put his water in a bowl?

I'm no expert but they can live in groups, but it tends to be siblings they grow up with mainly or families. Cottonball lived with her disabled daughter who I didn't have very long, but after I had her pts I did look into it, but they don't seem to do well with introductions, so the advice seems to be they're happy on their own unless you get them together. If you have a pair of more you have to provide two of basically everything otherwise they can squabble [emoji38] they definitely can bond tho, Cottonball and her daughter used to sleep curled up together everytime and she looked so lost when she couldn't find her daughter anymore :(

I've got his water in a small bottle, but you can give a water bowl I've seen! Not sure I'm brave enough [emoji38] the maze is so good he loves it, he's instantly claimed it as his sleeping area and food storage spot :) this is the inside without the lid on
069cbdf3aa8f561dc3c5c3000b844a39.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

I love how, in the very first pciture, his cheeks are so full they meld into the rest of his body AND make him really wide :love: He's lovely :D I've never been a fan of hamsters but other people's are cute [emoji38]
Yeaaaa he got in and I filled the food bowl up and he immediately started pouching [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments I'll pass them all on to Walter when I see him later [emoji38]

I think he must be cute! :lol: Can he have a friend or not? I love the maze! Last q - do you put his water in a bowl?

Walter fell out with his brother and thats why his owner rehomed him.

In my experience of fostering 100s of hamsters the majority of dwarf and robo in pairs have fallen out. I've read that it's successful in the wild but tends to fail in captivity.

A robo runs 7 miles a day, a Syrian 4 miles a day. I imagine in the wild that those that do live together have plenty of waking time apart.

Most hamster are solitary. Roborovskiies and russian dwarfs can be in pair. But tha tis for experienced owners with very large area. Lovely creatures. I hope one day I will have them again.

My Russian dwarves lived in single sex groups - we started of with a pair of supposed boys, but the usual thing happened so we just kept trying to split them up. They did seem to really enjoy living in groups though, often snuggled up together, the occasional tiff but nothing serious, just a few seconds of huffing and scuffling.

I'm no expert but they can live in groups, but it tends to be siblings they grow up with mainly or families. Cottonball lived with her disabled daughter who I didn't have very long, but after I had her pts I did look into it, but they don't seem to do well with introductions, so the advice seems to be they're happy on their own unless you get them together. If you have a pair of more you have to provide two of basically everything otherwise they can squabble [emoji38] they definitely can bond tho, Cottonball and her daughter used to sleep curled up together everytime and she looked so lost when she couldn't find her daughter anymore :(

I've got his water in a small bottle, but you can give a water bowl I've seen! Not sure I'm brave enough [emoji38] the maze is so good he loves it, he's instantly claimed it as his sleeping area and food storage spot :) this is the inside without the lid on
069cbdf3aa8f561dc3c5c3000b844a39.jpg

That's interesting! I have a maze, it's made out of something they can chew. Bella just walks over the top as mine doesn't have a roof.

How tiny he is :love: I have never had such a small hamster, only Syrians. Can you handle him? I'd be terrified of dropping a little being who's so tiny.

He is so cute! I love the first picture of him with his cheeks all stuffed! And what a lovely home he has!

I love hamsters, I only ever had robo'sand a Chinese hamster once, and the fun I had buying toys and arranging different things for them was immeasurable. They are fascinating to watch.

" Sorry they're not the best quality photos"?
Are you kidding me? That ranks alongside the famous quote by Nils Bohlin when he said "This will never catch on".
You have an unbelievable tallent for understating your incredible photography skills, and an amazing ability to pick the cutest little floofy animals in the world. Walter is just adorable. :love:

" Sorry they're not the best quality photos"?
Are you kidding me? That ranks alongside the famous quote by Nils Bohlin when he said "This will never catch on".
You have an unbelievable tallent for understating your incredible photography skills, and an amazing ability to pick the cutest little floofy animals in the world. Walter is just adorable. :love:

They're bad quality though, I really need to get my camera or buy a csc [emoji38]

How tiny he is :love: I have never had such a small hamster, only Syrians. Can you handle him? I'd be terrified of dropping a little being who's so tiny.
I've not really tried yet tbh, he takes food from my hand fine though. He's so fast too [emoji38] I'm not super into handling hamsters unless I have to, Gus was the exception there. But I could handle Cottonball my last robo, she would walk from hand to hand.

I've not really tried yet tbh, he takes food from my hand fine though. He's so fast too [emoji38] I'm not super into handling hamsters unless I have to, Gus was the exception there. But I could handle Cottonball my last robo, she would walk from hand to hand.

I've always been wary of handling hammies as I have four cats so if a hammy got away from me, their chances of survival would be very limited. My bridge hammy Bochy was incredibly friendly and I did handle him a lot as he didn't suddenly dart for freedom. I found holding such a small being very different to picking up the cats, buns and guinea-pigs and was worried about squashing him. I think I would be terrified of holding a robo.

I don't currently have any hammies as I had a couple who went to the Bridge really young and I thought I must be doing something wrong. I do have the cage in the attic though - just in case I change my mind one day :)

Walter is so incredibly cute it almost makes me want to get the cage downstairs again but the bars would be too wide for a robo - I have always had Syrians.

I don't like having to keep them on their own either. I fostered a pregnant hammy and later adopted her and tried to keep her together with one of her daughters (against all advice) as they were so happy together and slept snuggled. Then suddenly they fought - really vicious attacking - and I had to concede defeat and separate them. I was very lucky neither got hurt or killed. I will never try that again!

I don't handle the foster robos either for fear of losing them. They are so fast and small they could squeeze into anything and never be found. I do handle the Syrians though and if they are well behaved I let them free range in the front room under supervision.

Rhianna if the cage is the alexander that Robin had it would be fine for a robo.

I really wish you hadn't told me that:) I am sooooo tempted although at the moment I can't get anyone to get it out of the attic for me due to lockdown. I daren't go up there myself as it's not all boarded and my arthritic knees have a habit of giving way periodically.

Is it possible to get rescue robos?

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow after work. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us and we will be able to have a nice walk and a catch up xxx

Tee hee. My roborovski, Rafferty came from a lovely rescue in Petersfield. Raritys rescue. She has a facebook page. They quite often come up on gumtree cos children get bored ...

Yes. Hoping for dry weather. See you tomorrow yey!

I really wish you hadn't told me that:) I am sooooo tempted although at the moment I can't get anyone to get it out of the attic for me due to lockdown. I daren't go up there myself as it's not all boarded and my arthritic knees have a habit of giving way periodically.

Is it possible to get rescue robos?

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow after work. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us and we will be able to have a nice walk and a catch up xxx
Walter's from arc :) so yea it's possible. I have to say I really don't like bar cages for robos [emoji51] I think they're escape artists!

None of mine have ever escaped from barred cages, even 1cm bar spacing ones.

Tanks are easier in terms of cleaning though and great for hamster watching.

Back