• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Long term metacam

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Cookie has been on metacam for the past month due to suspected arthritis and the vet wants to continue on it long term as she feels that given Cookies age the risk of kidney damage is worth taking to keep her comfortable. She just turned 12, anyone else's elderly bunny on metacam long term?

My boy isn't so old, just 5, but he has athrosis in the hip and I give Metacam for a year now - but I dose it depending on how he is. Sometimes he doesn't need any for days. I rarely give more than half of the max. daily dose, most times less.

I soak some pellets and oatmeal, put the drops and some sunflower seed oil on it so he doesn't get the drops undiluted and has something in his stomach, and he needs that extra calories anyway, he's always rather on the skinny side.

Cookie has been on metacam for the past month due to suspected arthritis and the vet wants to continue on it long term as she feels that given Cookies age the risk of kidney damage is worth taking to keep her comfortable. She just turned 12, anyone else's elderly bunny on metacam long term?

Yes, numerous Rabbits. Some have been on it for well over a year.

Casper isn't as old as Cookie, only 9, but he's been on Metacam for several years now without any issues. I think I agree with your vet that keeping her comfortable is more important than avoiding any kidney issues that might not even happen. Lots of vibes for Cookie; I hope the metacam is helping her. :love:

Luna was on metacam from around 2 & a half or so due to arthritis (very shallow & poor hip sockets). she was on metacam until just under 6 years old before she passed due to unrelated reasons. I always said with her, I'd rather have less happy years than more unhappy years with her. I think 12 is a good age and as above, its more worth keeping her comfortable than worrying about kidney & liver

I can say from Luna .. we never, ever, saw any adverse effects on her kidneys & liver despite over 3 years on daily metacam. her kidney functions actually improved between a blood test which was quite odd! obviously I'm not saying the risk isn't there - but I don't think we're too sure on the effects of long term metacam in *rabbits*, namely dogs & cats (that ofc have much different digestive systems to buns!)

I hope the metacam continues to help her :love:

Not the rabbits, but both my dogs have been/are on longterm metacam. I am a firm believer that a potentially shorter but painfree life is better than a longer life of pain. But my first boy was on it for years from 2 yrs old, and whenever his bloods were tested before anaesthetics his functions always came back above average for his age, despite the metacam. Current dog is on it for a lung tumour that I'm not convinced is cancerous, because it has a tiny anti-cancer effect, but he has bad joints too so I'm quite happy.
Quality over quantity every time.

Happy Belated Birthday Cookie.

Mouse isn't as old as Cookie (we don't know her age but estimated to be approaching 10). She has been on Metacam for just under 2 years & I've used oxbow Joint support tabs for a bit longer than that

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments of your vet & the posters above

Will is 9 in April Nancy will be 9 in October. Both have been on Metacam for just under a year as they have arthritis. No adverse side effects.

Back