• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help - both buns not well

Thanks everyone. Just been in for late night veg round and they both seemed up for it. Had parsley, coriander, broccoli and a bit of kale. Not perfect diet I realise but better than nothing. Still very little hay being eaten but at least they are still eating something until vets can get a recovery plan.

Hi all, just standing outside in the rain with my buns as I post this! We have been out in the garden for 45 mins now and it is starting to get a bit dark. Both buns have been eating grass pretty much non stop during that time which feels like a really good sign to me. Had initial blood feedback from vet saying no alarming numbers but no EC results yet. So will be going to bed tonight a very happy bunny myself after the terrible last week. Thanks to all of you for all the help and support.

Last edited:
Hi all, just standing outside in the rain with my buns as I post this! We have been out for 45 mins now and it is starting to get a bit dark. Both buns have been eating grass pretty much non stop during that time which feels like a really good sign to me. Had initial blood feedback from vet saying no alarming numbers but no EC results yet. So will be going to bed tonight a very happy bunny myself after the terrible last week. Thanks to all of you for all the help and support.

Glad to hear things seem to be improving and that the initial blood test results are OK x

Thank you for this warming positive update. We all know and understand how stressfull these episodes are and you deserve some rest and time to relax and unwind.
You will find much help and support on this forum so please feel free to post and add your own views and we can all enjoy yourt bunnies journys.

Quick update, both buns doing well Its a slow recovery, so starting to eat a bit more hay now but way off normal. Out in the garden again devouring my lawn. Other little behaviour patterns that tell me they are both happier, just the little things that you notice when they go downhill. Pretty confident we are heading in the right direction. They are still on the syrup gut meds and will stay on until back to full speed. Need to speak to vet tomorrow to try to understand how this happened!

Last edited:
Quick update, both buns doing well Its a slow recovery, so starting to eat a bit more hay now but way off normal. Out in the garden again devouring my lawn. Other little behaviour patterns that tell me they are both happier, just the little things that you notice when they go downhill. Pretty confident we are heading in the right direction. They are still on the syrup gut meds and will stay on until back to full speed. Need to speak to vet tomorrow to try to understand how this happened!

I hope they will both be 100% better soon :)

If they are eating grass then they don't need to eat as much hay. I hope they continue to get back to normal.

Back