• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oxbow joint support

dollyanna

Alpha Buck
Anyone else's rabbit refused these completely? I've just received them and Freja will take them but Odin (who is the one who needs them) is refusing completely. Initially he took it from me and spat it straight out, but after that he wouldn't even entertain taking it in his mouth - most unlike him as he will normally eat anything offered.
He is still eating everything else, so it isn't an eating issue, I thought maybe they were too hard but he won't even take it let alone try and chew it so I think he just doesn't like them - but he needs them, so any bright ideas?! I've tried softening them with pear puree as an experiment but still won't go near them.
Last resort is to grind them down and make my own biscuits with them - which would at least mean I could put a day's amount in one biscuit - but they are expensive enough as it is without then having to add a whole lot more work to it!

Nope. LOVES them. But then again he loves to eat anything. SO...Perhaps cutting down on pellets will help. Then the poor boy will be "starving" and these cookies will be yummy?.

I have these and the Oxbow multi vitamin, my young bunny loves the multi vitamins. My older pair actively push them away and they were the same with the joint support at first, it seemed the more I tried to get them to eat one the more disgusted they'd be at them!! I left it a week or so then randomly offered them again and they take them really keen now.

Mousey needs encouragement to take hers these days but J&B adore them. This was a common theme on reviews I read but it seemed to make reference to how hard they are & it seems Odin doesn't like the smell?

I found that Tethra wasn't always very enthusiastic about these, but would usually have them if softened in water. I also made sure they were not offered after having had other food ie the bunny should be hungry. Tui never refuses.

Mousey needs encouragement to take hers these days but J&B adore them. This was a common theme on reviews I read but it seemed to make reference to how hard they are & it seems Odin doesn't like the smell?

Yeah, I've seen reviews criticisng the hardness and the size, and I can understand that, but he won't even attempt them. I've broken them up to try and make them more like his tiny treats, but nope, won't put his nose anywhere near it.
I don't know what to do if I can't get him to eat them, after looking into equine versions the conclusion is that they'd require too much of them to be healthy - the concentration in Oxbow is tremendous in comparison.
Can they take human tablets perhaps?

My vet says loads of bunnies refuse them, my super fussy bun kept refusing then I just kept offering once a day and she finally took it and then we never had a problem [emoji38]

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Mashed banana topping....

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I'm going to try a few of his favourites, but pear puree didn't do it. He's a sucker for raspberries so might try mashing one of them into them and leaving to soak a little.
Will keep trying and trying and hope that he eventually gives in!
I wonder if I could use peppermint oil or something like that? Edible version for cooking, not essential oil.

I’ve not used them so I don’t know if this would work:lol: but would they make a pellet mush if you poured boiling water on them, then once cooled you could mix with fruit purée or veg?

I’ve not used them so I don’t know if this would work:lol: but would they make a pellet mush if you poured boiling water on them, then once cooled you could mix with fruit purée or veg?

Probably, but he doesn't do puree, so I'm not sure it's worth trying - and I'm not sure if boiling water would damage the ingredients in some way?
I do wish I knew what is putting him off though, he eats ginger root raw so it's not the ginger, maybe the turmeric?

Probably, but he doesn't do puree, so I'm not sure it's worth trying - and I'm not sure if boiling water would damage the ingredients in some way?
I do wish I knew what is putting him off though, he eats ginger root raw so it's not the ginger, maybe the turmeric?

Probably not worth trying if he doesn’t do purée! Hmm, very tricky!

Crushed up and mix in with nuggets?

Like a topping for them?

They can be so fussy when they dont want something!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Mashed rasberry is a definite no - he wouldn't even lick it off!! I think I'm going to have to try crushing it and making my own with some strong herbs in, got some fenugreek, will mix it with banana and fenugreek and see if that works.

Managed to get most of 2 into him today by breaking them up into tiny pieces, mixing with some tiny pieces of broken barley ring, and offering on my hand! He still wouldn't take it on it's own even after doing this several times, but I'm hoping that over time he realises they really aren't so bad and will just take them.

Back