• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Haybox vs timothyhay

mashbywood6892

Young Bun
Hello,

We have always had hay from timothyhay.co.uk and my two always love the first half of the bale but get a bit 'meh' during the second half. I get a mix of their soft Timothy and their stalky Timothy. I store it inside my flat, in a dry and breathable container so the hay itself should be fine and not go bad, but they do seem less fussed as we get through the bale.

I was considering giving Haybox a try instead. Their blend box looks great and I like that you can buy smaller weights so it is a bit fresher. Timothyhay is in huge amounts and it takes me a while to get through it so worried it gets a bit old and a bit compressed/dusty.

Has anyone used Haybox before, or even better has anyone used Haybox AND timothyhay before and can compare the two?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’ve used both. Last time I used Timothy hay.co.uk they’d gone off it and were wasting a lot. Haybox Timothy is a big favourite here. However I’ve recently moved onto Timothy hay and ryegrass hay from M&T haylage as it’s much cheaper, and Fern loves it :love:

I would get samples first and see what they think of it

Hello,

We have always had hay from timothyhay.co.uk (it comes from Scotland) and my two always love the first half of the bale but get a bit 'meh' during the second half. I get a mix of their soft Timothy and their stalky Timothy. I store it inside my flat, in a dry and breathable container so the hay itself should be fine and not go bad, but they do seem less fussed as we get through the bale.

I was considering giving Haybox a try instead. Their blend box looks great and I like that you can buy smaller weights so it is a bit fresher. Timothyhay is in huge amounts and it takes me a while to get through it so worried it gets a bit old.

Has anyone used Haybox before, or even better has anyone used Haybox AND timothyhay before and can compare the two?

Thanks in advance!

Definitely get samples before buying, my lot won't touch haybox hay, they love Timothyhay.co.uk though and currently loving healthy herby Timothy hay. But I know a lot of people on here use haybox and their buns like it :)

You say they go off it half way through.. And the bag is mixed... Is it one type of hay they don't like? I've never had a mixed bag before from Timothyhay.co.uk. But mine prefer stalky hay overall I think

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Definitely get samples before buying, my lot won't touch haybox hay, they love Timothyhay.co.uk though and currently loving healthy herby Timothy hay. But I know a lot of people on here use haybox and their buns like it :)

You say they go off it half way through.. And the bag is mixed... Is it one type of hay they don't like? I've never had a mixed bag before from Timothyhay.co.uk. But mine prefer stalky hay overall I think

So I buy both, the soft and stalky and I mix them myself daily (grab a bit from one plus a bit from the other). But the last 2 batches my two have been a bit meh as I get half way through each bale...

Not sure if it gets old or they're just going off timothyhay.co.uk in general.

So I buy both, the soft and stalky and I mix them myself daily (grab a bit from one plus a bit from the other). But the last 2 batches my two have been a bit meh as I get half way through each bale...

Not sure if it gets old or they're just going off timothyhay.co.uk in general.

That's so odd [emoji38] do you just keep it in the box?

We store all our hay in the garage which is obviously really cold atm, I wonder if where you store hay changes anything taste wise. So hard to know!

That's so odd [emoji38] do you just keep it in the box?

We store all our hay in the garage which is obviously really cold atm, I wonder if where you store hay changes anything taste wise. So hard to know!

We store it in a basket type container so it has air circulation and is kept dry. Which is apparently what's important for hay storage, from research I've done... We keep it indoors in our flat.

Hm, I'll maybe order the taster pack of Haybox hay to see if they like it..... Will be good to find a hay they go mad for. They're OK hay eaters, but not the best.

I’ve used both. Last time I used Timothy hay.co.uk they’d gone off it and were wasting a lot. Haybox Timothy is a big favourite here. However I’ve recently moved onto Timothy hay and ryegrass hay from M&T haylage as it’s much cheaper, and Fern loves it :love:

I would get samples first and see what they think of it
Thanks!! Useful info :) Mine do seem to have gone off timothyhay.co.uk a bit recently...

I'll order a sample from Haybox and see if they like it!

Oddly I bought my guys a batch of the 2018 timothyhay.co.uk stuff recently as its soft and I thought Rodney might like it post dental and its their favourite yet.

I've been mixing in Herby Hay as well so they get a good mix for teeth and it's going down well.

I do find I waste Timothyhay.co.uk stuff a bit more because it's quite compressed I tend to put more in but then they have loads of fun tunnelling in it all.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Going off reports I have read Haybox comes out top favourite but I use farm hay for my warren.
Thanks all! I ended up buying samples from Healthy Herby and Haybox, and my two went MAD for Haybox.

Big, golden poops and constant munching. Its the most hay in a day they've ever eaten, so I am a Haybox convert!!!!! Definitely recommend it!! So green and fresh!

Thanks all! I ended up buying samples from Healthy Herby and Haybox, and my two went MAD for Haybox.

Big, golden poops and constant munching. Its the most hay in a day they've ever eaten, so I am a Haybox convert!!!!! Definitely recommend it!! So green and fresh!

I’m glad you found something they love :love:

Back